D Box wing construction

Advert

Posted by Christopher Wolfe on 04/02/2021 09:20:47:

Try Vegemite - It's yummy on toast!

skippy

I have, and was very underwhelmed by it after all the fuss the Aussies make about it. Marmite for me.

My dad couldn't stand the smell of my Marmite when I was a kid, because in the Japanese POW camp he was in, only the close to death who couldn't take much other sustenance would get what little Marmite they'd saved or could scrounge. Reminds me every time I have some or see it in the shops.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 03/02/2021 02:39:13:

In theory two opposing diagonal struts in each bay instead of solid sheeting would make the main spar into a truss which might be as strong as sheeting. But is it worth it?

Edit: Or even a single strut in each bay, alternating in direction like / \ / \ would give you a good truss. Thinking about it even more (maybe too much!), each strut could in theory be a tension member instead, like the flying and landing wires in airplane rigging.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 03/02/2021 02:44:50

I did that on an Ace Puddlemaster (flying boat) many moons ago to stiffen up the wing and in that respect it was very successful, although it did add a bit of weight. I had to recover the wing after it started taking on water so it was a good opportunity to make the changes.

I love Marmite but can't have it as it is not gluten free. crying

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 04/02/2021 09:38:41:

Coming back in after a "Call out" in the middle of the night, big mug of builders tea and two buttery slices of Bovril toast. Reached the places nothing else could. Worked for me for 50 years.

With me after a middle of the night Coastguard call out it was tea with toast, buttered, marmalade, and then devilmore butter mixed in.

My understanding is that the cardboard used in Regal Eagle etc is not corrugated but smooth both sides & probably similar to that specified in the RCME article years ago. I saw Paper Aviation demonstrating how easy it was to make the Regal Eagle and the cardboard looked like cornflake packets except plain white - slightly glossy one side only. If such card was available in the right size in small quantities I would try that for wings.

I am off to have my lunch - a Marmite and lettuce sandwich..........

I was most impressed with the cardboard used in 'raison bran' type cereal packets. Thin, quite stiff and glossy printed on one side thus giving a degree of water protection. Sheet size is of course limited but it is free!

Made a quite passable wing used in conjunction with sheet foam ribs and shear webs.

Depron card 36 sections (4 cereal packets?) required to make up a 40" span. Left it unpainted to prove the point. 14mar19

It needed no internal reinforcing for an 19 oz (540 g) pusher light weight. Best kept dry though. wink 2

On the subject of Marmite I guess they must have overlooked registering the design of the jar as every 'own brand' uses an identical shape.

Product packing/shapes can be registered, Coke bottles for example. I think in some instances 'own brands' are made by the original manufacturer, just with a different label but I may be wrong on that score. Marketing is not my thing.

Simon, perhaps you should have sent a photo to their marketing team of your 'flying advertisement' for their product, you might have got a couple of free packets of Raison Bran out of it!

What glue did you use to affix the ribs to the cardboard, looks very strong? (as long as it doesn't get wet) 

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/02/2021 12:50:28

Posted by Phil McCavity on 04/02/2021 12:10:29:
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 04/02/2021 11:48:24:

On the subject of Marmite I guess they must have overlooked registering the design of the jar as every 'own brand' uses an identical shape.

Maybe because a marmite is pot of a particular shape so cannot be registered by a company?

Or maybe it's because Marmite copied Bovril, or maybe because both brands are owned by Unilever, or maybe it's because the shape is not distinctly different from others to be easily copyrighted. wink 2

Posted by PatMc on 04/02/2021 12:43:44:
Posted by Phil McCavity on 04/02/2021 12:10:29:
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 04/02/2021 11:48:24:

Maybe because a marmite is pot of a particular shape so cannot be registered by a company?

Or maybe it's because Marmite copied Bovril, or maybe because both brands are owned by Unilever, or maybe it's because the shape is not distinctly different from others to be easily copyrighted. wink 2

I don't see how marmite could have copied bovril? A Marmite is a pot with a lid.

How would you register a kitchen utensil as unique to your company? It's similar to trying to register a sauce pan to a single company.

Marmite

Posted by Matt Carlton on 04/02/2021 13:47:40:

If you buy Marmite in bulk, the jars are in d'box....

Ha, Love it!

I have just bought some 6mm extruded polystyrene sheets from B & Q to have a crack at using it to build a wing for my Spatman build. I thought I might try gorilla glue - same colour as Marmite but doesn't taste as nice. wink 2

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/02/2021 14:05:15

I'm resisting the temptation to post some fairly obvious puns. I would appreciate it if everyone else does too.

This is a useful thread but although it's been amusing and light hearted, it's been straying too far off topic for too long. I don't want to have to start deleting posts or worse so please regard this as the end of the diversion and an official warning to keep on topic.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 04/02/2021 14:11:12