RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

Posted by Martyn K on 14/02/2018 16:14:43:

I bought 10m of Natural Solartex - (which I think is unpainted) - as I think I'll have to paint it anyway. I wouldn't expect to use more that 3-4 for this model (I hope)

Martyn

I think that is optimistic Martyn I reckoned on 4 m for the wings alone

My my, you actually got a reply from Sarik? I asked them to quote me postage for the full kit, first they had to make one up, then they quoted me 70quid to ship, when I asked was that 'Royal Mail, to be signed for' I've had no reply to 3 emails! It seems they don't want to do business!

Hi.

I’ve been playing around with a 3D printer trying to make a spinner.

dscf1757.jpg

Before I go for the final print can somebody confirm the ideal base diameter to match the Sarik GF cowl (I haven’t got it yet). So far I have been working to Richards CAD drawing for his turned version, that gives the base diameter of 93 mm.

Thanks Nev.

I can't really be of any help here, Nev.

I think gents around here pointed out that the ex-Traplet cowl was a bit 'undersized'. Following the drawing it should be (expressed in inches) around 100mm.

If you ordered the Sarik cowl it will be a bit undersized to that, I guess. sad

If you can't get any precise figures from other members, I would suggest waiting for your cowl to be delivered.

Anyhow congrats for your splendid printing job. yes

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 16/02/2018 20:52:54

The printing is easy Chris, you just press go.

The hard bit is trying to learn the 3D CAD software, I think it would be easier to try and learn Dutch. It has given me a very interesting subject to model though and it passes the time until October.

Nev

Posted by Nev on 16/02/2018 20:10:45:

Hi.

I’ve been playing around with a 3D printer trying to make a spinner.

dscf1757.jpg

Before I go for the final print can somebody confirm the ideal base diameter to match the Sarik GF cowl (I haven’t got it yet). So far I have been working to Richards CAD drawing for his turned version, that gives the base diameter of 93 mm.

Thanks Nev.

Hi Nev

measuring my glass fibre cowl from what was traplet it is 98mm and my turned cowl also from traplet is 104mm

hope that helps

Hi to all,

As far as "getting exciting", I'm in the middle of my Vicomte fuselage battle. blush

Speaking of battle, is there any progress regarding a laser cut kit - not talking about the Sarik one here, of course - plus glass bits and brass hardware becoming available for the Classroom gents, Danny? or Martyn, or Andy?

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 17/02/2018 18:12:05

Thank you.

My plan is 99mm but I wanted a measurement of the gf cowl as that is probably what it will be using. I’ll work to 98mm. Thanks again.

Anybody else started cutting out little bits of brass yet ? I’m up to 36, only a couple more to go unless I’ve missed some !

Nev.

I've bought the Sarik kit and it's sitting at my Sisters place at the moment. In a Blonde moment I thought from the email communications it was complete, wrong! Sissy says it's short any and all 'long' material, ie Piano wire, snakes, longerons, Spruce. Is there any chance that someone else who's using this kit as a base can post a list of 'extras'? I will order any extra 'on line'

It's an overnight trip for me to the nearest Model shop, which may, or may not have what I want, and these days I don't do traffic!

Posted by McG 6969 on 17/02/2018 18:10:44:

Speaking of battle, is there any progress regarding a laser cut kit - not talking about the Sarik one here, of course - plus glass bits and brass hardware becoming available for the Classroom gents, Danny? or Martyn, or Andy?

Just a 'bump' here to try to get an answer to my question...

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, I have not had any time to look at cadding parts for a while. The fus is mostly done. I have contacts for the metal and balsa cutting. The cowl is another story. Just not sure about getting time to make them. The spinner for electric is not an issue. But for ic i think we are stuck with Sarik. If they can actually get the size right!.
At the moment I am focussed on defending my indoor scale title on March 4th.
More news soon
Tony, this plan is interpreted differently by each builder, so things like pushrods/snakes are up to the individual. Sure we can suggest the wood quantity etc. But rigging wire, covering, hinges are personal preference really.
Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,

Thank you for your prompt response.

My question wasn't really related to 'when' but 'if' the projected ideas of having a short kit and assimilated bits were still part of the building reality. I can imagine the work involved in CAD drawing and that sometimes other things are getting in front of the timeline.

So it's fine to read that the short pack is still in the pipeline. Thanks for that anyhow.

Going for EP myself and regarding the cowl and spinner 'situation', I think I will make my own glass cowl as I'm going for an Hispano version with different - longer - cylinder head blisters & exhausts anyway. I've found a 100mm spinner ali back plate and going to make the spinner out of GF or CF as José seems to do.

Are you still defending you Nats title with your Cub?

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Jose L. G. on 23/02/2018 18:48:35:

Good afternoon

Well, err... Yes I have made a bill of materials as I have metric Wood in stock.

I have ordered all the Wood and metal I will need in the construction of the model. I can post a list if anyone is interested.

José Luis

HI Jose, yes very interested.

Good morning.

This is "my bill" of materials for the Fury Mk I.

Fuselage:

Main stucture; 3/16 x 3/16" médium balsa (6)

Side and top longuerons: 3/32 x 3/8" médium-hard balsa (20)

Sheet balsa:1/8" (1)

Sheet balsa 3/32" (1)

Harwood for central Hood. 3/8 x 3/8"

Harwoowd for motor mounting 1/2 x 5/8"

Ply 1/16"

Wings:

Spars hard balsa (pine?) 1/8 x 1/4" (16)

False leading edge from 1/8" sheet

Leading edge from médium 1/4" sheet

Sheeting for "D" box médium 1/16 sheet (3)

Capstrips médium 1/16 x 1/8" cut from 1/16" sheet

Ailerons from 1/16 and 1/4" sheet

Wires and tubing

Stab suport aluminium 18 swg.

Bracing for stab , piano wire 20 swg

Landing gear , 8 swg (1), 10 swg (1), 16 swg and 12 swg

Cabane struts from 10 swg

Brackets for rigging brass 20 swg

Bracing of cabane and wings piano wire 18 swg

Of course you will need a pair of wheels about 5" in diameter and hinges for the tail. Also some fiberglass board for the aileron hinges and horns.