Motion RC Europe

A fellow club member has just bought a Nexa Thunderbolt from Motion RC. he said when it went to check out the price was reduced. when it arrived he was hit with a £75 bill for tax and handling . He has bought a lot of models in the past from them but now it seems he would have bought it cheaper in this country. The Motion RC Nexa kits are a rebranded VQ model they include the electric retracts that are a separate item with the VQ brand.

2 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

A fellow club member has just bought a Nexa Thunderbolt from Motion RC. he said when it went to check out the price was reduced. when it arrived he was hit with a £75 bill for tax and handling . He has bought a lot of models in the past from them but now it seems he would have bought it cheaper in this country. The Motion RC Nexa kits are a rebranded VQ model they include the electric retracts that are a separate item with the VQ brand.

Read the new tax regulation, for overseas orders less than £135 the vendor can collect the VAT for HMRC so it's delivered tax paid with no additional collection fees, over £135 then the recipient pays the VAT and any collection fee. With Motion RC once you put in that it's for the UK they remove their local tax and then you pay the UK VAT and any processing fee on arrival. But yes we need to be aware of this when comparing prices.

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Read the new tax regulation, for overseas orders less than £135 the vendor can collect the VAT for HMRC so it's delivered tax paid with no additional collection fees, over £135 then the recipient pays the VAT and any collection fee. With Motion RC once you put in that it's for the UK they remove their local tax and then you pay the UK VAT and any processing fee on arrival. But yes we need to be aware of this when comparing prices.

I thought it was the other way round. I thought it was VAT on large orders that are paid at source and small orders are collected on delivery. I may be wrong and I've lost the will to look into it again. It's so confusing. For now, I'm boycotting ALL oversees purchases.

Edited by Gary Manuel
Keyboard keys sticking. Need a new one(from UK).

Frank, I think you will find that a Vendor has to  be registered, or have a substituent company registered in the UK for collection of VAT on behalf of HM gov-UK. If not they can only collect VAT/Taxes in the country they are registered in and for that authority.Now we are not in the EU many companies in UK have the same problems in that they can only collect the VAT in UK, they do the same as Motion RC is doing here .

If  any body knows differently please let me know as I am only quoting what was said before Jan 1st.  in the run up to our departure.This was one of the arguments against leaving!!!!( Hence some of the problems with Northern Island as there is now an imaginary  border between us in the Irish sea. More problems than just VAT)

Bas

Here is the actual quote from the Motion RC site  : note the message to consolidate orders.  As an aside, I notice they price their goods up in GB £'s the same as US dollars so hefty 39% extra there for them to work off

AT And Import Duties Will Be Collected By The British Government

Effective 1 January, 2021, the British Government will collect VAT and Import Duties on shipments originating from the European Union. The collection of both VAT and Import Duties will be handled by FedEx on behalf of the British Government. In some cases FedEx will require payment of VAT and Duty at the time of delivery, and in other cases they will send an invoice for future payment. 

Please note, the vast majority of the goods sold by Motion RC Europe have 0% import duty, so in most cases UK customers will only be required to pay applicable VAT. Also note, FedEx may charge a 12 GBP service fee when collecting VAT/Duty on UK shipments, so we recommend that customers consolidate their orders to avoid paying excess fees.

Edited by conrad taggart

I just received this helpful reply when trying to purchase something (non modelling related) from Ireland. In this example (which is from a very small company) they are registering to pay the VAT themselves on the smaller orders - it looks like they are using Eur 150 as equating to £135. My understanding is that this £135 (or equivalent) is the value of the goods before any VAT is applied.

The interesting bit to me was how DPD are providing some helpful options to retailers. That said, I have only just placed the order so am still waiting to see what I'll get stung for on delivery!

"For Delivery and VAT.

Orders LESS than €150: We charge the VAT. We ship these (Incoterm 18 - DDP, VAT Registration Scheme) so all freight, customs clearance costs, customs duties and taxes (VAT) are paid on our end.

Orders GREATER than €150: We zero the VAT. The VAT is charged to you by the courier on arrival in the UK. We ship these (incoterm 30 - DDP, VAT Unpaid)  so all freight, customs clearance costs, customs duties are paid on our end. Taxes (VAT) are paid on arrival in the UK on your end."