DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

If you use Johns method why not drill 4 holes in from the sides to clamp the ply plates. Clamp the plates in place and drill through near the engine bolt holes, remove the plates and counter sink them then glue them and refit them with CSK M3 bolts and nuts, this will hold the ply together.

41 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

If you use Johns method why not drill 4 holes in from the sides to clamp the ply plates. Clamp the plates in place and drill through near the engine bolt holes, remove the plates and counter sink them then glue them and refit them with CSK M3 bolts and nuts, this will hold the ply together.

I don't see the need for that much effort, the glue should do the trick. And I would rather glue than bolt, the shims are not very thick and will distort under point load, glue will spread that load better in my opinion.

I am really grateful for your thoughts, and I hope I will always listen, but I reserve the right to do my own thing ? rightly or wrongly.......

• Like 1

You've got a bit of a dilemma, Danny. I agree with David's suggestion but it looks like the fuel tank can only be fitted from the front?

Perhaps the solution is to mount the engine on a removable firewall, as per the H9 Carbon Cub. See below, taken from the instruction manual.

image.png.2db1fe813e949824607564640b5a4262.png

image.png.0bea94fff1cccf3453d35e466b53e774.png

The CC also has the tank mounted on a shelf attached to the rear of the firewall but I don't think that would be necessary if you go this route with the Auster.

• Like 1

I appreciate what you are saying, and thanks for the comment, but it will stay as designed, there is days of work sawing the nose off like that, and I cannot see the benefit. Plenty of these have been built and flown.

The mount is re-enforced as suggested, and opened up to suit the crankcase width. I cannot drill the holes until I have fixed the cowl length. I may not use the polyester cowl supplied.

186.thumb.JPG.b69c650286ca23319501b0fedb1eaf8a.JPG

188.thumb.JPG.485d8b6f9c94e627bd82913d5108276a.JPG

I looked towards the cockpit combing, this stretches over the panel to the rear of the cowl. The shape of the sides of the footwell are not accurate on the plan, and this has a knock-on to the ply combing which was not happy conforming to the compound curves. So the footwell sides were made flat right back to the door "A" posts, this is how the full size is, and means the combing,(and footwell sides) can be made from flat material.

189.thumb.JPG.4b95fbe13c33d5ff62cb211577f902ca.JPG

190.thumb.JPG.da7a2d6c2dcca62deda873013796777e.JPG

All went well after that.

Once the glue was dry I removed the bands and sealed down the edges with thick CA

192.thumb.JPG.d2bf84c1b65f005ccb4fb58b6eae7225.JPG

193.thumb.JPG.888b2b04cdce85fe1d9c641251214c41.JPG

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Hit a snag this evening. If you recall the two main formers didn't align with the fus sides?

Well the end result was that at the top of the cabin sides, where the wing root sits, the fus sides MUST me parallel. Any deviation and the wing roots will try to point the wings forwards or back, the piano wire joiners will stop that, but you will end up with an unsightly gap where the wing meets the fus.

Hopefully I have rectified this by adding some additional 3/16 and truing the root ribs at the top of the fus so that they are parallel. Not easy to see in the picture but they are.

198.thumb.JPG.4e2cde7cd713817b9f1d628ca84b590e.JPG

199.thumb.JPG.602fadc5cbd27783a30b27da9b5638eb.JPG

200.thumb.JPG.4600df836b23d6534bc3fbffe5b9b860.JPG

all in harmony again.....

• Like 2

Sorry DD but another question for you. The pieces for the wing fairings were quite large but I only needed a small piece and cut most away, have I misunderstood and made a mistake?

201.thumb.JPG.317dca01ead7474c10bc17709b241bfd.JPG

202.thumb.JPG.edac968f9ce1717e51550ebeabe2f484.JPG

P.S. Those are pictures 201 and 202 since the build started almost a month ago, and just under 6000 views ?

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton

On 11/03/2021 at 22:54, Colin Leighfield said:

I had a 1/5 share for a while in a 1946 Auster AOP6, kept in its original squadron markings, silver with yellow bands. I managed to ground-loop it at Tatenhill once, no damage fortunately! Very smooth and stable plane to fly. Always fancied making a model of it. I was told once that the famous Auster test-pilot, Ranald Porteous, said that nobody ever managed to do three consecutive good landings in an Auster. I tended to agree. 

I met Ranold while he was still alive and I have the greatest respect for him, but I have to disagree with his comment on Auster landings.  It is a tricky aircraft, but if you use the right technique, fly within your own limitations and the limitations of the aircraft, then a good landing should result every time. ??  How do I know that... well, my wife owns an Auster, and I've yet to witness her doing a bad landing! ? ? 

• Like 2

Those wing holders are good in Theory, but get loose quickly, and leave unsightly gaps at the root. I ended up with a plate and a screw, just in case. I think I said that before........Old Age showing. I'll be forgetting my thermos next. ??

Also the struts are load bearing hence why you should change out the fixings in the fuselage.

D.D.

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
I'm an idiot

Thanks DD yes you did say. I thought I would give them a go and already regret it.

I think I am going to cut the wings open and remove the spring steel clips and see if they fit okay with perhaps additional  carbon tube as guides. And a retainer plate.

I may change the whole wing mount to the method I used on my little indoor Cub, it's also how Gwynn Avenell did his big Fury. glass boards on the spars with bushed holes. A piano wire rod through from the leading edge. means the dihedral is set by struts, but it is anyway. Means I can correct the wing sweep that has crept in, only a degree or so, but very annoying and I will never be able to live with it.

As you say the struts are load bearing, and I will be using brass plates, already sourced my friend ?

Thanks for keeping an eye on me ?

• Like 2