DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Had to step away from the Auster, too many issues to get my head around. Wing retention, I will probably use Merlyn locks. Strut lower fixing anchor plate is crowded out by the undercarriage clamps, and you cannot get to the nut for the struts as the undercarriage legs are in the way. So probably need moving further aft.

I usually find it best to sleep on the issues, they are often clearer in the daylight......

exactly a month today since I opened the box, quite pleased with the progress, and have, for the most part enjoyed it, though I think progress will slow from here on in.

10oz DuBro fuel tank is ordered, as is some stainless tube to perhaps attempt functioning U/C (we will see on that one).

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colin Leighfield said:

I loved Andy’s reference to my comment about Ranald Porteous and landing the Auster! He was probably tongue in cheek when he said it and after I ground-looped the AOP6 on the Tatenhill concrete runway it gave me a face-saving excuse! 

Not just you Colin. I used to do maintenance and restoration work on Austers, and had to frequently check the pivot bolts on the undercarriage. They are quite small diameter and the port side (pilot's side) ones would often be bent like a banana, sometimes making them almost impossible to remove.

• Like 2

Not had a very productive day. Ripped the sprung steel clips out of the wing, which has ruined some of the sheeting, but that's easily fixed.

I have circled around this problem in my head, and have become increasingly frustrated that an obvious solution hasn't arisen.

In the end (though not convinced it would be successful, I tried a "Merlyn Lock" I used these on my Piper Apache and they worked really well, however the difference on the Auster the blocks are not being used to join two wing panels, there is very little room on the inside of the root rib. Anyway they are quite small but strong, trouble is I will need two per wing as they hold the front well, but not the rear. Perhaps the struts will help? I am awaiting some long Allen headed bolts, that will be easier to fasten.

207.thumb.JPG.684242823610c7f6e8260ebca795caac.JPG

These are the smallest Merlyn's I have made, and I was quite concerned that the "teeth" of the blind nut would split the wood, but the maple held strong.

209.thumb.JPG.62fae4fdf254f9c513e367dc212de86d.JPG

This is the fuselage mounted "inner" part.

208.thumb.JPG.ed0a3ecc899a7e7ad20c1e70086a7268.JPG

And this is the view from the wing underside.

210.thumb.JPG.7a5bc8d0df80a55b592b90f4bcde706e.JPG

The angle is critical as it means a tube can be fitted that will lead out to the wings skin for attaching and removing the wing.

This piccy from my Apache build shows the tube, this was a bigger unit using  a 25mm cube, the one on the Auster is made from a 15mm cube and quite fiddly.

799852410_130314Apache7958.thumb.JPG.cad766ec187a24830009219e8af88bd6.JPG

Maybe you guys can think of a better way to hold the wings snuggly against the cabin?

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well managed a few minutes to do the other lock, this one went really well, I guess practice does help. And it helped that I had made two sets of parts. The wing root was much straighter on this wing and has pinched up nicely.

211.thumb.JPG.23364fc67d69bc0d95cb81ff789717e5.JPG

212.thumb.JPG.94582f60b54b4bd4399d6e4260c402c7.JPG

Really this would have been better if the wing root rib had been solid, the lock is compressing balsa (hard balsa at least) but balsa none the less. Ply would have formed a better base. Next time........

Cheers

Danny

Anybody have any suggestions for a 1/5 full figure pilot. There used to be some cloth jobbies, but I heard they were no longer trading?

I had hoped there would be 3D STL files available, but so far nothing but a chap that looks like he has been handcuffed!

I don't want to pay silly money as it is just a sport model......

Cheers

Danny

7 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

Anybody have any suggestions for a 1/5 full figure pilot. There used to be some cloth jobbies, but I heard they were no longer trading?

I had hoped there would be 3D STL files available, but so far nothing but a chap that looks like he has been handcuffed!

I don't want to pay silly money as it is just a sport model......

Cheers

Danny

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Luke-Skywalker-nude-body-1-6-scale-for-12-inch-figure-5-New/174471265149?hash=item289f4c3b7d:g:SXgAAOSwVH1fgC5y

Thanks for that David, I know Andy. I presume you are pointing me at him to print files not as a source of pilot figures?

I did a quick search of EBAY but came up empty.

I have a few friends with 3D printers that could possibly help if plied with a bottle of wine ?

Anybody have any pictures of Max's figures when printed? I have seen 3D renderings of figures before that look fantastic, only to be very disappointing when printed.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Ron, the files are purchased and downloaded. I have asked my friend Chris to do a small print to see how it looks.

After making such a good job of the fit of the port wing yesterday I took another look at the ill-fitting starboard wing. The problem was easy to find. The Merlyn lock was pulling the two sections together at about 30% chord, but the wing was rocking back and forward. I was hoping that the struts would sort this. But when I did the port wing yesterday it was solid, with no rocking. I had put it down to the wing and fuselage mating surfaces not being of solid ply. But this was the same as the port, but solid....

Anyway when I ran a straight edge along the ply rib on the top of the fuselage there was a big bow. the leading edge had a 1.5mm gap and the trailing edge 3mm. Whilst touching obviously where the Merlyn lock was.

So I added a 3mm lite play rib to the fuselage rib. then proceeded to sand until the area around the Merlyn lock was gone, leaving the full width at the TE and just 1.5mm at the LE

Re-attaching the wing and pinching up the Merlyn lock has removed all fore and aft rocking. so we can move on ?

215.thumb.JPG.8cd411db14465f82e30a560dd711c672.JPG

216.thumb.JPG.14aff484c1889ca652c4138802a54651.JPG

Cheers

Danny