Transmitters

8 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

Interested as to why you would go for the Radiomaster over the Jumper pro? What is lacking in the Jumper to make you reconsider?

Hi Phil,

The current version of the Jumper machine is a T18 and it has an internal antenna for 2.4GHz which has been shown to have a shorter range. As I do not fly the second frequency option with longer range, I would prefer the 2.4GHz to have the external antenna which the current T18 does not have.

The Radiomaster has the same set up as the Jumper T16 which I have, internal 4 in 1 module with external antenna and better 2.4GHz range. Suits me better is all.

I too have the "Template" model with all the options I have so far used and programmed, and just chop out what I don't need on the new model.

I have also used categories, so my gliders are in 1 category, electric planes in another, fuel planes in another and drones / indoor helis in another which makes it much quicker to locate the machine I want to use rather than scrolling down pages of memories.

Edited by Andy Gates
Additional info added
  • Like 1

Advert

I love my Jumper as it suits me Phil.

My son used to fly too, but when it came round to getting him a new radio the T16 was not about so he got the Radiomaster machine.

There is very little difference between them but the Radiomaster feels slightly more solid. The touch screen does not yet work as we are still awaiting the software release to enable this.

Jumper were pretty good when the ribbon cable issue came to light, and allowed my supplier (hobbyrc.co.uk) to supply upgraded ribbon cables for free.

Same applied when I upgraded the usb interface board to go to USB C and so enable charging of the battery via USB and I had issues, so I can't fault their support.

I think it is probably not wise to go down the Frsky clone route these days. FrSky are making it somewhat more difficult for clones to work with their systems. Development on OpenTX has slowed down dramatically in the last year or so, and unless some of the clone manufacturers start to get involved, they may be left out on quite a limb. e.g. touch screen support. It looks like FrSky will give less support to OpenTX in the future, if any.

The newer firmware for FrSky gear will only work on their products and even with older receivers and transmitters, I am seeing a very good range improvement (it was never bad). The latest ACCESS firmware gives a 40% improvement on that.

The FrSky gear is very competitively priced anyway, a 24 channel receiver with stabilisation is just £25 these days. Cheap enough even if you never enable the stabilisation part.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy48 said:

I think it is probably not wise to go down the Frsky clone route these days. FrSky are making it somewhat more difficult for clones to work with their systems. Development on OpenTX has slowed down dramatically in the last year or so, and unless some of the clone manufacturers start to get involved, they may be left out on quite a limb. e.g. touch screen support. It looks like FrSky will give less support to OpenTX in the future, if any.

Agreed.

FrSky have rather hypocritically made their products more exclusive to their own protocols by excluding others and tying you into their brand, it's being said that the OpenTx program has slowed because the project is closer to the projected aim so development has inevitably slowed. FrSky having a direct influence in it may also be a factor.

5 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

Agreed.

FrSky have rather hypocritically made their products more exclusive to their own protocols by excluding others and tying you into their brand, it's being said that the OpenTx program has slowed because the project is closer to the projected aim so development has inevitably slowed. FrSky having a direct influence in it may also be a factor.

Not sure its hypocritical, just business sense, now that they have built up a decent reputation and following. I agree, OTX is pretty well finished as a project, thank goodness!

Did read on another forum that the clones tend to use cheaper components, one being the hall effect sensors on the gimbals. Someone was complaining about the gimbals on a clone drifting with temperature, and that the FrSky ones have temperature compensation built in. Don't know how true that is, no doubt Mike B will be able to contribute his wealth of knowledge here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil McCavity said:

It's hypocritical in the sense that a company that has thrived on copying and cloning now wants to stop others doing it with theirs.

Not so sure about the claim that they go to the extent of using temp compensating Hall gimbals but more than happy to be proved wrong on that.

What has FrSky copied and cloned?

About the only thing I know of was buying the Taranis transmitter case mouldings from another manufacturer.

As for the sensors, just found chapter and verse here: https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/8401

Also this review picks up a couple of issues, the gimbals, and the need to calibrate the tx against a FrSky receiver. http://rc-soar.blogspot.com/2020/07/can-radiomaster-tx16s-crush-my-x9d-plus.html

Edited by Andy48

17 minutes ago, Andy48 said:

What has FrSky copied and cloned?

About the only thing I know of was buying the Taranis transmitter case mouldings from another manufacturer.

As for the sensors, just found chapter and verse here: https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/8401

Also this review picks up a couple of issues, the gimbals, and the need to calibrate the tx against a FrSky receiver. http://rc-soar.blogspot.com/2020/07/can-radiomaster-tx16s-crush-my-x9d-plus.html

4-600x600.jpg

Central Box 200: JETI model s. r. o.

Probably just coincidence but...

• Like 1

Martin.

I don't see the two photos you have posted as any evidence of plagiarism. How many ways are there of mounting multiple servo sockets and dual (not sure what type they are) battery sockets along the edges of a small circuit board?

The circuit board inside has definitely not been copied as the Jeti board has channels 1-8 + switch on LHS, whereas FRSky has channels 1-10.

The way I see it, FRSky took the best available technology and allowed open source software to be used and developed by it's users. This has made low cost RC transmitters available to us all and has probably changed the market forever. 

I suspect that FRSky have now had a change of management/strategy leading them away from the open source phylosophy towards a more proprietary development strategy. This is no different to what has happened in other industries.

Have you noticed that all cars, mobile phones, TVs etc look almost identical on the outside, but all perform differently? Personally, I'm happy that I can jump into any of these wonders of technology and operate them (once I get used to it!).

I think this is an interesting thread and I'm learning a lot from reading it. Discussing this on the slope yesterday and the vast majority of my fellow flyers hadn't heard of either Jumper or Radiomaster - though one member had swapped from Jumper to Radiomaster and was very complimentary about the gear. The functionality of being able to bind to different manufacturers' receivers is a huge plus and I'm now looking at whether to replace my Futaba FF9 with a Frsky module, which I use on the slope,  with one of these transmitters -entirely due to what I have read in this thread.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

Martin.

I don't see the two photos you have posted as any evidence of plagiarism. How many ways are there of mounting multiple servo sockets and dual (not sure what type they are) battery sockets along the edges of a small circuit board?

The circuit board inside has definitely not been copied as the Jeti board has channels 1-8 + switch on LHS, whereas FRSky has channels 1-10.

Gary

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so all manufacturers of course watch rivals and try to develop for themselves any good ideas they spot.

Just occasionally some take it a bit further to the point of cut and paste. Have a look at the two documents in the attached link to another forum. they show extracts from the original manuals for the two devices in Martin's photos.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33800485&postcount=12

Dick

48 minutes ago, Dickw said:

Gary

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so all manufacturers of course watch rivals and try to develop for themselves any good ideas they spot.

Just occasionally some take it a bit further to the point of cut and paste. Have a look at the two documents in the attached link to another forum. they show extracts from the original manuals for the two devices in Martin's photos.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33800485&postcount=12

Dick

Now that IS evidence of plagiarism. Giving FRSky the benefit of the doubt, could this be purely down to the seaming inability of the Chinese race to write a proper English instruction manual?

Your point about imitation is exactly what I was getting at when I talked about cars, phones and TVs all looking the same. It is a thin line between imitation and plagiarism.