Philip Kent Comper CLA-7 Swift

martin davey

Advert

Nice design.   Good luck with it and let's see some photos in due course.

It's worth noting that the plan is available direct from Philip Kent via his club's website which also gives a phone number for him.   There is a 96 inch span Comper as well.   Some other designs not available elswhere too.

The plan and laser cut parts are available from Sarik.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with his designs. I would suspect however, he chose lightish wood at the backend..Be aware that laser cut bits, are a bit one weight fits all. Not knocking them, save a huge amount of work, but be aware of what goes behind the CG. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 17:31, Don Fry said:

Nothing wrong with his designs. I would suspect however, he chose lightish wood at the backend..Be aware that laser cut bits, are a bit one weight fits all. Not knocking them, save a huge amount of work, but be aware of what goes behind the CG. 

Your bang on with that, fortunately the laser cut plywood parts are at the front, back end is indeed very light construction.

Edited by martin davey

A little progress today, cowl cover for battery box and a small block, yet to be shaped on the front end. I also made an attempt to construct a removable cockpit to allow access to the receiver and servos, but abandon that on the grounds that the balsa used here is supposed to be a ridiculous 1/32", instead I will mount them upside down and make a hatch underneath the fuselage. On the subject of 1/32" the front end  from cockpit  to battery box is sheeted  with this stuff, while I can understand the need to keep the weight down, I don't think this is very practical, unless it is a static model. So it will either be glassed on the front end or I shall use 1/16" in it's place and suffer the weight penalty. I am conscience of the weight, but I also want practicality on the flying field. at the moment it weighs next to nothing.

_1010001_02web.jpg

Love this 'plane - used to have (then lost) the Dennis Bryant plan which I never got around to building.

Does this plan show the Pobjoy radial engine as an alternative to the cowled inline?

Guess it wouldn't be too difficult to modify, even if not.

Kim

• Like 1

It would seem that Martin's plan came with the a copy of the article.  But if you want it a copy of the magazine  RC ModelWorld November 2010 is on sale here.    Note that even though the magazine has a logo saying free plan it was NOT included with the magazine!  The free pullout plan was Peter Miller's Swizzle Stick  40 inch fun fly model.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kim Taylor said:

Love this 'plane - used to have (then lost) the Dennis Bryant plan which I never got around to building.

Does this plan show the Pobjoy radial engine as an alternative to the cowled inline?

Guess it wouldn't be too difficult to modify, even if not.

Kim

Sadly no it does not, but as you have said a front end modification would sort that ?

Ok a little work today on my not so favourite area, the undercarriage, the plan shows some brass and solder work and small nuts and bolts. Then my son Pete turned up and we spent a little time looking at alternative methods using commercially available products and although wire bending was still the order of the day the fixings are nylon and some very light alloy tube. The main gear so far:

_1010004web.jpg

AT a point now where the fuselage is nearly done and ready to have the very thin balsa areas glassed, more of that later. But I have to attach a tail plane seat to do that I need a tail plane so have commenced construction on this. This made up of 1/16th core with leading, trailing edges and ribs added to both sides. The plan show the leading edge of this done in three pieces but I decide to go with one piece by way of lamination after wetting the balsa with Windex. Seems to work OK.

_1010005web.jpg

• Like 1