How many do you have........Batteries

Maurice Dyer

Advert

Excel spreadsheet. Batteries are checked regularly for condition and balance,  stored at storage voltage and separated into those at storage voltage and those which are charged, in different bags. I've always just charged at the field until recently and packs which come back from the field fully charged stay like that until next time out. Every pack has a doober -a  length of blue Sullivan outer - over the 4mm male pin - blue for discharged, green for charged.

I have to say I don’t know how many batteries I’ve got, but I do know the numbers I have for my most used leccy ‘planes (I like to have enough for a minimum of 5 flights - I don’t field charge). As per Leccyflyer, they come back from the field either used or not and they stay that way until I next want them then it’s a case of, the day before, checking the state of charge and charging the ones that I need to take. Storage-wise, they are kept in ammo boxes apart from half a dozen 6s 5000 which sit on a shelf ?

I recently realised that nearly all my umpteen packs are 8-10 years old, early Giant Cod era. 

Many are slightly swelled, some have an X in indelible marker, some have had surgery to remove a duff cell....

I need to man up, ditch the lot and start again.  Not so easy for a Yorkshireman ?

I've been using lipos for many years,  had indirect experience of a few lipo fires in those early years and was more comfortable with just carrying on the field charging which was completely necessary for optimum performance with NiCds and NiMhs. At the time I didn't have an external workshop and the risk vs benefit of charging in the house did not favour that. Since moving to our current place I have a longer trip to the flying field, or a very much shorter trip to my local strip and I alternate between those. I also now have an external workshop, so have changed my charging protocols, with some charging at home. That meant a rethink in LiPo charging and storage - hence the pair of Batsafes for charging, to supplement the pair of Sentry firesafes for storage.

I've been looking at some of the other alternative methods for storage, which involve splitting the lipos into smaller groups and an attractive one is a pigeon-holed steel cabinet with storage compartments lined with fire-retardant board. I could make space for such an arrangement under the bench- where the small building board is stashed.IMG_3281.thumb.JPG.907187bc6735127f2161f7a903e5bc54.JPG

I use an A5 size ring binder which has an individual sheet for each model as can be seen in the first photo showing a blank sheet prepared for my Marabu glider.

The second photo shows the current sheet for my Mpx Acromaster. In the top corner of each box I write the  number of the lipo in pencil and tick it in pencil when the flight is completed. When the batteries are charged for the next flying session I usually, but not always, record the mah put back into each battery and write the value using a pen and also overwrite the pencil, indicating a full charge. The large No 8 on the Acromaster sheet relates to it's model memory in my Tx. After a flying session the used lipos are stored; lipo's that were not used are left charged if I intend to fly in the next couple of days. If not then they are put on storage charge and then stored. 

I know this all sounds a bit of a faff; indeed my mates at the field see it as typically eccentric English behaviour, but it has proved to be very successful for me.

I use red and green rubber covers on my lipos to indicate discharged/charged batteries and interchange them at the field after a flight and also after a charge. This makes it easy to know whether the lipos are charged or not. I do 99% of my charging at home.

In the house we have a professionally fitted fully closed all metal wood burner with a chimney venting out of the roof. We never use it! So, with a clean out and with some suitable shelving installed it has become my lipo storage unit.

Flight log - Marabu.jpg

Flight log - Acromaster.jpg