2.4 rx

Diamond Geezer

Advert

With 2.4 rx's I was told that they should not be wrapped in foam or bubble wrap as they produce more heat [for their small size] than old 35 type's.

Not sure how true this is but have velcro pad mounted all mine both IC and electric. 

2 hours ago, J D 8 said:

With 2.4 rx's I was told that they should not be wrapped in foam or bubble wrap as they produce more heat [for their small size] than old 35 type's.

Not sure how true this is but have velcro pad mounted all mine both IC and electric. 

That was the case with some very early 2.4 receivers, from Futaba I think, but the problem only arose in warmer climates where there was a big cockpit letting the sun heat the model internally.

From Multiplex's receiver installation notes - "Protect your receiver from vibration, especially in models powered by internal combustion engine (e.g. pack it loosely in foam)" they make no mention of making sure it doesn't overheat. 

Just checked Futaba's instructions for their R3008SB and they specifically mention protecting the receiver from vibration "The R3008SB receiver should be protected from vibration by foam rubber, Velcro or similar mounting methods. Protect from moisture" again no mention of overheating.

So basically do what ever your manufacturer instructs.

Receivers are very different these days. Earlier ones had larger components atop wobbly legs which could fracture through vibration or impacts, often ripping out chunks of copper tracks as they attempted to get further into the crash than the PCB. Modern surface mount components have much smaller mass and are soldered directly to theIr PCBs. 

Given space, on both IC and electric models, I like to clip them into 3D printed mounts which I either foam or Velcro mount to the fuselage structures. 

P.S. I’ve just remembered that the advice not to foam wrap receivers seemed to stem from some reports of Futaba receivers overheating in the early days of 2.4 GHz where the models were being left in direct sun in 100+ degree temperatures in the southern USA.