Roof aerodynamics

Rich Griff

If you do use tie downs or ratchet straps, make sure they are lightly twisted.

It does not alter the rating of the strap but it will stop it drumming on the structure it is supposed to be assisting which can make a really loud noise - experience from camping in Wales on the coast many years ago.

Be careful gents & be safe.

19 hours ago, Geoff S said:

We have 65 mph winds forecast for tomorrow and we're quite high up and fairly exposed.  There's a hollow ash tree just down the lane that's been on its last legs since we moved here in 1972 - every time the wind blows I'm expecting that it'll be across the lane but it's survived so far.  Just hope our unique 6 sailed village windmill is OK.  It was completely overhauled a few years back.  It's been there since the late 18th century.

Is that Heage windmill? Went there a few years back on a visit to friends in the area, it was a very nice attraction. Interestingly they have posted up guidance around drone usage requesting those wisihing to take aerial photos do so request written permission, I guess it must be a bit of a hotspot...

• Like 1

Yes, that's it.  We live higher up about a mile away.  It's a pleasant place to live but it's a lot scruffier than it appears in this flattering video.  It's a former mining village where there's been opencast coal and iron ore extraction in the past and there's the substantial remains of a 19th century blast furnace, too.  The industrial history is interesting.

Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware of it.  As for drone footage, the UCI have banned the use of them for filming bike races - specifically cyclocross - for safety reasons.  The wind isn't too strong right now (11.30) though still brisk at 40/50 mph.  I think the really high speeds are further south

49 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Darn sarf are having it tough, roof gone off O2. ?

I am surprised it has lasted this long, Ptfe coated fibreglass, Uv get to like most things.

Better than the original pvc that was going to be used. bah! well over 50 odd million to build what a millennial statement. 21 years

Edited by flight1
spelling

Hi Colin, Born here on the farm at Strumble Head and still hanging on from todays storms, some damage like roof sheets coming loose/off.  Something of a problem is the central A frame of a barn has come off its mounts and moved three to four inches out of place, rest of the roof is holding it up rather than the other way around.  Beautiful views here but nothing much to slow the wind.

Cheers. John.