YA Spitfire Mk XIV

david tilbury

Started spraying today, using my trusty old IWATA airbrush at 1 bar, this helps when the mask is over uneven surfaces, trying to spray perpendicular to the mask, also you only need to extend the mask about 30mm all around as there isn't any over spray...

More to follow

m_P1170007.jpg

m_P1170008.jpg

m_P1170009.jpg

Edited by david tilbury

Advert

Thanks Nick.....roundels complete, had to mix some blue as the Humbrol wasn't quite like the photos.....don't ask what %.....not sure....

Pitot finished, used water based paints for this, as being electric.....doesn't matter...
Need to draw out the top chamo soon....
Cheers

m_P1170013.jpg

m_P1170014.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 4

Nearly finished the static prop today, made an error with the position of the locking screws so filled and made new ones, also added the flush rivets and made some new 'LOCKED and UNLOCKED' stencils......so painted these in yellow like the full size.....the locking screws are gloss on the full size so now these are dry i'll glue in the holes.....

m_P1170015.jpg

m_P1170017.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been on holiday so not much happening but made a start on the final cockpit installation before final canopy fix......once this is done i can do some minor things before making a C of G check......the paint won't add much.....

Sprayed the wheel wells with interior green as well having found out this is what's on the full size......finished the seat belt stay behind the seat former....and glued the rear canopy with clear canopy glue....door tomorrow.....

Also wasn't happy with the spinner where the center section met the base, somehow in the printing it's opened up slightly on the diameter so had to add 1mm all around the base diameter with ply.....seems to have worked ok..

m_P1170037.jpg

m_P1170039.jpg

m_P1170040.jpg

m_P1170041.jpg

m_P1170042.jpg

m_P1170045.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
So been a while since last posting....holidays etc.....plus the weather for the past 3 weeks or so has been windy.....too windy to be painting outside so decided to sponge most of the top chamo and today in the workshop just sprayed the break lines between the dark green and ocean grey.......once dry i'll make a start on the yellow leading wing edges and roundels......

The panel detail is looking ok as well painted.....which i'm pleased about...

m_P1170063.jpg

m_P1170064.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 6

To simulate the rough walkway which is only on one side of RM927 i used a decorative paint found in any of the major DIY stores here in the UK.....again sponged on, i spray some in a dish then sponge it onto the surface of the wing......this gives an uneven finish which i saw on a Mk XI Sunday at Duxford......i hate seeing sand paper glued on a wing....plus using the decor paint it goes over the hatches and small panels like the full size.....anyway that's my 50 cents worth...

The walkway will end up being black like the full size

m_P1170065.jpg

m_P1170067.jpg

m_P1170068.jpg

Edited by david tilbury

Sponge painting ok not rocket science but quite effective......not a technique i would use all the time but under certain conditions you get constant results

Ideally i would love to spray paint everything, i guess the same as everyone else but with the bad weather here at the moment in the UK....wind and more wind not great for spraying! i've had no choice as i want to finish the model.... using a paint brush as you know can leave horrible brush marks, sponging doesn't, you get a solid colour depending on the paint you use, no over spray, etc.

To apply the paint cut a small piece of sponge, the type of sponge is quite important, you need one with a close surface not like a natural sponge, apply the paint to the sponge with a brush and start dabbing the surface you want to cover.

I have painted the surface first on larger areas, say 2" square with a brush and then dabbed while the paint is wet, it's surprising how much surface you can cover with little paint, at a guess i've used 7 tins of humbrol paint to paint the model which when you take away the weight of the tin and add just the paint it's not a lot.

m_P1170070.jpg

m_P1170071.jpg

m_P1170072.jpg

m_P1170074.jpg

m_P1170075.jpg

m_P1170076.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 4

dont you end up with a textured finish using the sponge? i have used them in the past for grubbying up models and for weathering and i always got a textured finish. It didnt bother me as i would flat it with wet n dry, but still 

Thanks to Dave Tilbury for the Tip ive tried this yesterday on a cambrian Me109 Wing. It does work on the solartex i used very well but i convinced myself the colour wasnt quite right. So today i brought two small spray cans that cost me £15 !! in a slightly better colour.

Thing is i cannot tell the difference between the two paint jobs except the spray was much quicker.

Hi Jon,

Would never use a sponge for weathering but that's just me.....nope no texture depends on the sponge used i guess. We all have our ways when it comes to painting, not saying mine is the best by a long shot but i get the result i want......the below was sponged yesterday.....if you want i can take a real close up of the surface

Hi Paul, never been happy using a brush for painting, i do remember Brian Taylor did when i asked him years ago, saying that i did on my Fokker Dvii with the streaked pattern as the full size was painted the same with a 8" brush.

Hi Dave,

Yes spraying is quicker but with the wing lately just couldn't do it outside......so this was my only option, i did buy a proper paint mask which i used so in the future this maybe the road i take.

m_P1170077.jpg

• Like 2

So, final stages now....all the painting is finished....yippee...smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif....need to add some satin Humbrol varnish.......but big question...weathering, i tried some tests the other day and wasn't happy with the result.....the full size is a fully restored example.....no bullet holes here...but....it has a patina look.....probably not the correct word but the paint doesn't look new.....i need to do more testing....i think once the surface is sealed with the satin it may take a light wash.....

Rudder needs gluing, retracts testing and finishing....motor tests and the all important CofG.....with my new Vanessa rig.

m_P1170093.jpg

m_P1170095.jpg

m_P1170096.jpg

m_P1170094 - Copy.jpg

m_P1170090 - Copy.jpg

m_new8.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 4