Hello newbee from Rugby

tiny-james

Hello all I'm a newbee and I live in the UK Rugby 

I have ordered a Glider from Hobby UK. I have no experiance with Gliders. I do own two Drones SjRC F11s and a Fimi x8 witch I'm slowly learning to fly but on many days I can't get out and fly because of bad wether (WIND) now the FIMI will fly in 35mph wind on the box but hay I'm not going to fly a £600 drone in bad weather. 

Now!! how did I get here well I follow a youtuber and he was reveiwing two RC plane but I don't want to fly a RC plane yet and thought a glider would meet my needs better.

So there you have it that's how I ended up here with a new glider.

NEW GLIDER PNP so I'm also in the market for a transmitter and batteries but transmitter must be able to run on a SIM

Advert

Hi tiny james, and welcome to the forum. You're certainly in the right place for advice.

I think your glider is pretty different to a drone.  It's a good choice, but for success, you'll have to learn to fly it. You can do this by yourself, but you'll break something. Trust me, you will.  But its enormous fun, and can be addictive.  You need to think about a few things.

INSURANCE  you might loose control, and injure someone. Of course you dont intend to, but you might 

LEARNING  you need someone to set the glider up for you, so its not a pig to fly, and to teach you how to fly it

MORE SPENDING  you need a charger, so that you can charge the batteries that power the plane, and the ones in your radio

A CLUB  find a local club, go and talk to them. They will almost certainly sort all this stuff out for you

Finally, keep asking on the forum, we're here to help

ernie

Hi from West Wales coast where there is some proper wind.:classic_laugh:  A motor glider is quite a good way to start into rc,  aircraft. Slower flying gives the pilot more thinking time. [It was the way I started although with diesel power]   Gliders can cope with pretty windy conditions but when learning it does need to be calm or near calm to learn what effect the controls have and not be deceived by a blustery wind. 

Plus one on Ernie's post above. Cheers. John.😀

Find a club, talk to some of the members, there may be a designated instructor who teaches new members, ask for advice on radio brands and suppliers for equipment.

Join the BMFA if only for the public liability insurance.

Don't be tempted to have a go without help, I have the 2 metre version of the Phoenix and although it is a "glider" it is pretty quick and will climb almost vertically on full throttle, the 1.6 metre version on a 2s battery may be a bit tamer but initially your reactions won't be good enough to prevent it going home in a bin bag.

woow so much advice and what a lovely welcome. 

Yes, I am going to find a club as I don't want to try to fly and end up with a bin bag full of poly.

I do understand that the glider I have bought has a self-correction built in I also understand how to balance the glider for CG but like you have all said get it setup buy a pilot that knows what he/she is doing  

I under stand that BEDWORTH AND BURBAGE AEROMODELLERS meet on Monday at 7.30 pm so I'm going along to see what is on offer 

HI, Joining a club is certainly the way to go, they'll explain all the bits and pieces, and may well have some bits that you need to sell you.

Personally, I'd avoid the self correction bit.  It certainly seems like a good idea, but its important for you to understand the basics of aerodynamics, and therefore the effect all the controls have on your glider

ernie

Hi James and welcome from me,

You've had good advice so far. I'd certainly recommend joining a club. Many clubs have their own trainer and linked transmitters known as buddy boxes. That way an experienced pilot can get you airborne and reclaim control if you make a mess of things. That way you will not have to risk your own model until you become more proficient. It doesn't matter whether the club's trainer is powered by an electric motor or a i/c engine, the model does not know what is turning the propeller. A lot of people assume that a glider has to fly more slowly than a powered aircraft.  This is not necessarily the case. Gliders are very streamlined and pick up speed quickly in a dive.

So I've been to a club today and found it quite a eye opener I am going to join it Feburary next year so it will be four months of sim work for me. The club I went to visit today isn't up the road so I will have to fly for about 3-4hrs at a time to make it worth my while ( Poor poor me heehee) Also the club does have a trainning plane (Glider) so that is a plus for me. Now I do have a radio somewhere (a good one ) spectrum dx8 I think but it's in the twilight zone so for now I need a radio to get me by until I find it that I can use with a sim so I was thinking of buying this one RADIO with a data cable so I can download a free SIM

Hi tiny-james,

Just to give you an alternate option. I also live in Rugby and fly with CADMAC (Coventry Area and Dist Model Aircraft Club). We fly from a field at Wolston which is literally just a 10 -15 min drive away. PM if you want any more details