SC 61 Trying to start tight new engine

Simon Lumsdon 2

Spent an hour this afternoon trying to get an SC61 engine to start on the test bench. Its ABC but my geared starter (which is a good un) doesn't have the guts to get it started. Can't say I'm that keen to hand flicking it but guess Im going to have to try. Its bloody tight at the top end with lots of compression which is making it difficult to get going. It really needs to be run in and loosened up. I have a 12x6 prop which should be fine but just need to get the damn thing started. I don't have a spinner on it so struggling to get good grip on the nut but this should still be enough? All tips on starting a tight new engine appreciated please

Advert

Grab a heat gun a nuke the head. Get it up to 80c or so. This will expand the liner and allow a smoother ride. A little turn on the plug might help too. 

Once its running get it up to high rpm and running temperature as quickly as you can with say 90% peak tune. If you leave it cold and lumping over compression it will kill the rod in short order. I wouldnt recommend more than 30 seconds before getting it at least half way tuned to get the temperature up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I soak the engine with fuel then carb fully open and take the plug out and give it a spin, for it's first  start two washers under the plug

fast idle and back flip, be careful with the starter con rods aren't made of steel,,,

I wouldnt really recommend this as the engine will be cold and the liner will not expand to its correct size as it heats up. raw fuel is also a dreadful lubricant and you do risk damaging the engine. When the engine is running the fuel and oil separate to give the lubrication needed but this will not happen if you just fill the engine with fuel and whizz it on the starter. 

Some of the above posts and then run up to temp at near full throttle for a min or so then stop and allow to cool down . Repeat until it starts to ease at tdc. Then fit I plane and fly it . Do t scream it or run slowly as this will / can cause damage 

Have just finished working on a V Tech 61 f9r a mate that is exactly the same. It's near new but had been run a short time and put away wet. Bearings rusted and have been replaced. What was interesting was the amount of swarf and debris fron ball bearings  and alloy that came out after a Ultrasonic Bath ! 

Personally think they were made too tight as QC seemed to fall off when the last engines were made before they closed down.

I agree with Jon. Talk about compression when the engine is cold is a red herring here.  It is the interference fit of the piston in the tapered bore that is the issue.  The tapered bore is intended to expand to be parallel, or at least less tapered when the engine is warm, so the engine still has good compression when at running temperature.
Using heat gun, or even a hair drier to warm the head is the way to go with this.  Even if you loosen the plug, you are still forcing a big piston into a small bore when the engine is cold.

This diagram is from Adriansmodelengines.com here:  Breaking in an ABC Model Engine - By Adrian Duncan

ABC-cylinder-cold-and-hot.thumb.jpg.5b8a03237ae0e19d01d74587fa46ca8f.jpg

• Like 3

Well, tried again today, new F type plug, hair drier on the head to heat it up and still too much for the starter. Loosened the plug half a turn and bingo! Quickly had a slightly rich WOT and it working nicely. Ran a tank through it and all good. Even adjusted the low speed needle so it idles nicely.

Many thanks for the help and tips, so useful