Getting my ducks in a row

tiny-james

So, I'm trying to get all my information in 

What do people do when your airfield is just that an airfield that has no power to charge your batteries do you just take 4 batteries use them and then go home?

I only ask because 4 batteries are what 32 minutes of flying time

Is there anything else I need to consider when choosing a club to fly at also buying batteries if there is no power how many batteries would you take?

Advert

I have four batteries and charge them at home. I also have a 32 aH lead acid battery which I use to recharge at the field. I know others who have more batteries than they will use in one day and they are all charged at home. Then there are a few who have big batteries who take a petrol generator.

The choice is yours either buy ten batteries for a day's flying or buy a large battery and recharge at the field.

Steve

A 12 volt 7amp hour Gel cell battery -used for lawn mowers, alarms and as starters for glow motors - will charge a 3S2200 Lipo a couple of times at the field.    Handy to have in an emergency as it will start your car or provide light in a power cut or light in your shed.   Good investment at about £20.  Keep it used and keep it charged year round.

We don't have any charging facilities at our field.

I take about half a dozen packs for each plane I take.  If there are people about, that's plenty 'cos of all the chat; if no people are about, it's enough to scratch the itch.

I never field charge, but a number of my flying chums do - they all lug great big 'leisure batteries' around.

I used to field charge from my car using the cigarette lighter/leisure output. I'd only charge half a dozen with the engine off. 

When finding a charger, one that can use AC or DC is useful, as it gives you choice. 

33 minutes ago, tiny-james said:

pinch the wife mobility scooter battery lol

Only a very brave man would do that!     Could be a good idea to chat with the mobility scooter service engineer to see whether they have any old but still working gel cells that would do the far less strenuous task of charging Lipos.........

• Haha 1

Tiny, buy enough to get your battery collection of 2200 3s batteries to six. 
1. It’s a common battery. Future aircraft will wear them out

2. After half a dozen flights, a guarantee, you will be knackered. Assuming the aircraft survives. Tired pilots make mistakes. Caste yer mind back to learning to drive. 

3. yesterdays post, Goddess Over-Abition. Don’t look to spend money. Spend it when you need to. If you need more than six, take your 12v charger to the field, and start fast charging the used ones. That’s not going to flat a car battery on that size battery.  If it does, buy a new battery before winter cuts in, yours is knackered. 

• Like 1