OS 20 Max Gasket

Andy J

Advert

1 hour ago, Andy Joyce said:

Thanks Denis was watching that listing, but was not totally convinced it was for the OS 20.

Andy,

If your engine is the old (crossflow) OS Max 20 then the 20FP gasket set shown probably won't fit it. They were different generations of engine.

As JD8 says, easy to make and rather satisfying too.... both making it yourself and saving the £6!

Brian.

A brown envelope is all that is needed for a backplate gasket. If too thick it will cause the plate to distort . Rub a piece of card on the case a rub fingers over it to get impression of the hole needed. Cut out wit new scalpel blade an fit onto backplate then push into engine. Push a thin sharpe screwdriver into holes to puncture paper and insert screws. Carefully trim off excess with paper with scalpel. Job done. 5 min and a few pounds better off.

Paper over crankcase, rub a dirty finger over the paper to mark it out, 4 pen or pencil tip holes where the screws go and rub the end of a ball peine hammer ( or screw driver handle ) to make the bigger hole, cut around the edge with scissors, it's quicker than posting this on the forum !

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
d

An easier method is to cut a round hole in some card with a compass cutter that just fits over the boss of the back-plate. Cut the card a little over-size then assemble it with the card protruding out round the edge. Poke holes where the bolts go and screw them in and pinch them up tight. Then with a scalpel carefully cut the exact profile by running the blade around the back-plate.

Had the laser cutter out this morning to cut some more dummy access panel rings out in solartex so quickly knocked up a GCODE file to cut a 25mm circle out of a brown envelope as suggested for a backplate gasket. Once I get some fresh screws from Model Fixings I will trim around the outside of the crankcase to finish the job.

If I had only brought my measurement aids into the house when I went up to the workshop to collect the engine this morning could have been a bit more adventurous and cut out the screw holes as well.

DSC01605 (Small).JPG