Camping stove

Steve Colman

I`m kitting out my Citroen Berlingo as a very simple day/weekend camper and a way of heating water for a coffee and an occasional simple meal is essential. Some research has shown that the type of simple one burner stove as shown in the photo is convenient and popular.

I would like to hear from anyone with any personal experience of these and whether they would be suitable for my use. What particularly concerns me is the safety of the gas cartridges while travelling in the car and in use.

Many thanks in advance.

camping stove.jpg

Advert

The only thing I say is when changing can do it outside.

Had a Coastguard call out to a camper who had suffered flash burns. When we arrived paramedic's were already treating him so I interviewed his wife to find out what happened. She said they were in their tent, quite a large one with internal division. She was in the back changing and he in front section getting dinner going when stove ran out of gas. He went to change the can but it did not seat and gas leaked. Unfortunately there was another ignition source in the form of a gas lantern. The blast had totally eliminated the front canvas of the tent leaving just the frame but she was unharmed behind the curtain. 

She had given a very detailed report of the incident so when I asked what she did for a living and was not surprized when she said police.  I asked what her husband did?  With a look in her eyes:classic_blush: she said gas engineer.

Although nasty his burns were not to serious said the paramedic.

40 minutes ago, Jim Hearnden 1 said:

They are about as safe as a stove can get. Multiple interlocks connect/disconnect the gas when travelling. The black trivet when flipped for travel interlocks the gas tap and cannister engagement lever, so it can't be switched accidentally. 

Beware of some dodgy imports. 

Thanks Jim, very useful info. Yes, there are many dodgy imports over here in Spain.

12 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

The only thing I say is when changing can do it outside.

Had a Coastguard call out to a camper who had suffered flash burns. When we arrived paramedic's were already treating him so I interviewed his wife to find out what happened. She said they were in their tent, quite a large one with internal division. She was in the back changing and he in front section getting dinner going when stove ran out of gas. He went to change the can but it did not seat and gas leaked. Unfortunately there was another ignition source in the form of a gas lantern. The blast had totally eliminated the front canvas of the tent leaving just the frame but she was unharmed behind the curtain. 

She had given a very detailed report of the incident so when I asked what she did for a living and was not surprized when she said police.  I asked what her husband did?  With a look in her eyes:classic_blush: she said gas engineer.

Although nasty his burns were not to serious said the paramedic.

Many thanks for that JD8 - A tale of a simple mistake that could have been avoided. Just as it's so simple to overlook something on a model that could lead to a crash or injury.

For lightweight camping we used a Trangia meths stove which is probably much safer than any gas one.  We even got away with carrying an aluminium bidon full of meths with our hand luggage onto a plane but that was before the regulations made flying with a bike and camping gear all but impossible. We have used the old Bluet/camping gaz ones in the past but never, ever change the cylinder in the tent - especially if there's any source of flame (another stove or gaslight) anywhere in the vicinity.

I have one of those. I think its actually a secret nuclear experiment as it kicks out way more heat than you would expect. 

If you arent using it i would just whip the cylinder out and pop its safety cap back on. I leave a cylinder in mine with the lock disengaged, but then i dont have it rolling around in the car so i would probably remove the cylinder when not in use. I would also work out a way to store the cylinder safely during the summer as cars get bloomin hot in the sun. 

3 hours ago, Steve Colman said:

I`m kitting out my Citroen Berlingo as a very simple day/weekend camper and ....

Hey Steve, I had a  similar idea for my Tepee (=Berlingo)...

I found myself between camper vans so I decided to make up a kitchen unit for my Peugeot Partner Tepee as a removable day-van project. There's bags of room, even for sleeping full-length. I'd measured up and was pondering ideas when I came across this £59 Duktig kids play-kitchen at Ikea:

IMG_20180620_204358751.thumb.jpg.96d8d89cf0274af794ed267962a9ef85.jpg

IMG_20180620_204409862(1).thumb.jpg.9f7e72fcfdbed02e942f6870e2df3310.jpg

Now I reckon the bloke who designed it for Ikea was definitely a Tepee or Berlingo owner, because its just perfect, made-to-measure!
The quality is superb, really strongly built, it looks neat and does the job a treat!
It fits perfectly behind the left seat (of three) with the middle one folded away and the right-hand one removed to make a sleeping space,

and its all held in place by bungee straps.

I swapped the toy tap for a proper plunger pump tap (ebay), plumbed to a water container beneath in the right-hand cupboard. The gas-can hob is the standard £10 jobbie like yours, on peg retainers.

In the left hand cupboard there's pots, cuttlery, a stack of MRE packs courtesy of the MOD, teabags and long-life milk, and underneath there's a folding stool and a small picnic table. The 'microwave' is used for dish-towels etc, and opposite theres a cig socket for one of those tiny 4-cans-of-coke peltier mini-fridges. 

IMG_20181230_144052_823.thumb.JPG.cd3e4d63a8916544ea0bef0b584eceb0.JPG

IMG_20181230_143909.thumb.jpg.785d434cebeb37b5c82ff1c0c10bafef.jpg

It has a highly advanced grey-water disposal system - you lift out the bowl of dirty water and chuck it out the back!

I also have a rear tailgate awning for it, overall its become a very cheap but versatile day-van that can be reverted to standard in 5 minutes. With the tailgate up and the kettle on, you're never short of visitors!

IMG_20160530_124104.thumb.jpg.5ba0b018242f104d9aa61f1c791b74e0.jpg

Slightly beyond the topic but I hope its of interest!

Cheers
Phil

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 4

Hi Phil, very much of interest thanks.

My idea was to fit out the Berlingo so nothing is permanent and easily removed. The second very important criteria was  a "no spend" build as I had lost my job due to Covid and there was no way I could justify any spending to my better half on what was essentially a vanity project for me. 

So far I've built a simple bed platform using plastic crates for undernreath storage along with a folding table and chair. The materials for the platform and the crates were all found and absolutely free. The platform is topped with cushions from a sofa that a neighbour threw out so free again. So, apart from a few hardware items like screws and hinges the cost has been zero. Similarly, I have a makeshift kitchen area idea at the moment again made from free materials.

That Ikea unit would be absolutely perfect for my needs but it's 100 euros over here. However, I may treat myself because as of yesterday I secured some full time work for the next six months.

A few pics from many taken throughout my experimentation. All remains work in progress.

37h-feb11.jpg

39d-oct 15.jpg

42d-dec26.jpg

39b-feb17.jpg

Edited by Steve Colman
  • Like 1