De Havilland Beaver

xyz70

I had a desire to build a De Havilland Beaver so I looked at my favourite site Outerzone and found a couple of plans I liked but none big enough. I wanted a span of 2.4 metres.

So, I decided to scale a 1.8 m to a 2.4metres or 130 percent. I printed the plan I liked on A4 paper and started from there. 20230209_165925.thumb.jpg.d7c1e558c515e1a835b55fe78e975ac0.jpg

DH_Beaver_72in_oz11629.pdf

Edited by xyz70
File too big
  • Like 1

I was reading the forums and I noticed a guy (Geoff Peacock) had a build log a few years back and it gave me some inspiration to do my own.

Hopefully mine will not take 5 years! This guy did a good job and gave me a few clues, as he says, there are few instructions. Thats OK I can work it out as we go.

Anyway I drew up a quick plan on some butchers paper and set to work. A bit rough but good enough. I started yesterday and have put 5 or 6 hours in so far.

20230209_165951.jpg

20230209_170008.jpg

Edited by xyz70
Spelling fixes

Welcome to the forum.

This looks an interesting project. 

Construction of the original CAP version seems to have the 1/16 ply doublers outside the fuselage and not inside as usual.   Seems to be to line up with the 1/16 balsa covering.

I once had a few flights helping a guy sort out a CAP Beaver.  In the end it was OK, if heavy.  The landing gear seemed too far forward which led to a lot of weight on the tailwheel, squirrelly take off runs and bouncy landings. It would have been a rave to move it once built in.

It would be worth comparing side views with the full size just to see if it has been moved forward for some reason

Thanks everyone for your messages.

Yes the sheeting is on the outside, ply to the wing TE and balsa after that. 

I think the Saito 150 will be heaps, but I may need the weight for C of G.

When i get further on i will keep the landing gear in mind.

Thanks

Some more work on the DH Beaver.

I am informally counting the hours work just for interest sake. So far 13 hours with quite a bit to go! Probably not bad as i cut all my own strip wood on the bandsaw as i go.

The engine bulkhead cut just waiting for epoxy glue.

The tail cone is on. I have left it over size as the fuselage sheeting is to be fitted. I will use 2.5 mm on the sides but 3mm on the top and bottom.

The longerons are 10mmx10mm and i am hoping to get nice rounded corners this way.

20230212_121100.thumb.jpg.cf3f19e0884894872afe11d5b0cc5aeb.jpg

20230212_121148.jpg

20230212_121111.jpg

A couple of more hours- a couple of more photos.

Formers 1 and 2 now fitted, it sort of looks like a Beaver now.

The Saito is looking smart too. I have the option of using a 125 instead, but it depends on what is needed for the CG.

20230212_162916.thumb.jpg.9ab312b40bbf4cb13aec9ea9592f6db1.jpg20230212_162958.thumb.jpg.7a5768b8894cadd13fd7d6e95b854c4a.jpg

I too scaled up this plan some years ago to 90 inch span. It flew fine with a Laser 100 for power. I sold the model but now wish I'd kept as it flew nicely. If you do the strip stiffeners on the ailerons and flaps note that they are just on the lower surfaces on these bits! 

IMG_9459.JPG

• Like 1

Both these models look incredible and I am in awe of people who can do this work. However it was never my attention to attempt these levels of scale looks.

I am afraid you will have to suffer my inadequacies as I intend to progress toward a nice flying model that most people will recognise as a Beaver.

Paul N

• Like 1