2-8S capable charger for multiple lipo charging

Paul Turner 2

Hi Everyone,

I have various Lipo batteries from 2-8s. I haven't yet used the 8S batteries as I don't currently have a need for them but I will in the near future.

I currently charge my 2-6S Lipo's using 3 separate old IMAX B6 chargers to charge one battery at a time on each which gets the job done but I'm considering an upgrade to a single charger that I can charge multiple batteries on.

I know some chargers have 4 separate charging channels but I haven't been able to find anything that does up to 4x 8S batteries. I believe some people use parallel charging boards off of a single charger.

Do you have any recommendations on what may be a good bet at a sensible price?

Would I need an external power supply?

When charging multiple batteries, do they all have to be the same cell count and capacity? either on a 4channel charger or with a parallel charging board?

Thank you!

Paul

Advert

Packs charged in parallel need to be the same cell-count and approximately the same state of charge (i.e. same voltage) when connected to the charger.  They don't have to be the same capacity though, for the charger will keep them at the same voltage as each other by not pushing as many amps through the smaller pack.

If you already fly models using 3S and 4S packs, why not hook them up in series when your model needs 7S or 8S.  In that scenario they don't need to be the same cell-count but they do need to be roughly the same mAh capacity.  Your flight duration should be determined by the finishing voltage of the smallest pack.

I'm afraid I'm not up to date with current chargers so, with the demise of the PowerLab 8, I can't help you on that aspect.

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I use an ISDT P30 with 2 balance boards and charge 8 5s or 6s at the same time. I don’t have 8s.

I have heard of the ISDT brand because I have one of their cell voltage / balancing devices.

Whats your thoughts on the P30 you own, are you happy with it? I see it is capable of 1-8S and has 1000W per single channel or 1500W total.

I've been looking at this guide. My biggest 8S batteries are 4400mah so I have calculated that  W = A x V  so  W = 4.4 x 33.6 = 147.84 W per 8S battery.

The bit I'm not sure about is when parallel charging,  is it 4 x 147.8W = 591.2W total or does the wattage change (increase?) when charging in parallel?

Also I'd be interested to know which balance boards you use with it.

Thanks a lot!

Paul

14 hours ago, Paul Turner 2 said:

I have heard of the ISDT brand because I have one of their cell voltage / balancing devices.

Whats your thoughts on the P30 you own, are you happy with it? I see it is capable of 1-8S and has 1000W per single channel or 1500W total.

I've been looking at this guide. My biggest 8S batteries are 4400mah so I have calculated that  W = A x V  so  W = 4.4 x 33.6 = 147.84 W per 8S battery.

The bit I'm not sure about is when parallel charging,  is it 4 x 147.8W = 591.2W total or does the wattage change (increase?) when charging in parallel?

Also I'd be interested to know which balance boards you use with it.

Thanks a lot!

Paul

If you charge 4 batteries which are 4400mAh at 8S in parallel then you will be charging with 4 x4.4A = 17.6A so the power will be the 591.2W that you quoted.

I use the parallel boards from Hobbyking, although mine are a few years old and have heavier leads than they seem to have now. You can get them with various connector types on. Parallel EC5 board,

I use the iCharger 4010 duo but this needs a 24 to 48V power supply up to 3kW, excellent charger, had it for years without issue. I have a server PSU, 50V, 60A output for the workshop and a 6S lipo field battery for use when out.

Edited by PeterF
Pressed enter before finishing

11 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Funnily enough, to me the opposite would apply.  The ability to run off a DC input is essential and it can always be run via a transformer if a 240V supply is available.  Using an inverter to power a mains only charger would be very inefficient!

Well I don't charge lipos at the field at all, Martin. All my chargers (3) are mains powered which means I don't have to use a separate power source of between 12v-31v which would inevitably mean I would to have to charge up another power source (certainly not a car battery 🙄) to power them unless I am missing something!

11 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Funnily enough, to me the opposite would apply.  The ability to run off a DC input is essential and it can always be run via a transformer if a 240V supply is available.  Using an inverter to power a mains only charger would be very inefficient!

I am with you on this Martin. All my chargers are 12v only - powered from a 12v 50 amp server PSU in the workshop, and a 48Ah 12v LiFe batttery in the car. (my club field also has a battery backed solar powered 12v supply available).

My 12v LiFe battery can charged from the car electric system going to and from the flying field, and a portable 100watt solar panel will keep it topped up on site and allow a complete weekend flying away from a mains power source. A bit over the top for the average club flyer though 😀

Since I sometimes drive long distances to fly I also  prefer separate chargers to a multi channel one. If a multi channel charger failed it could ruin a days flying a long way from home, but the chances of 2 separate chargers failing at he same time is remote - again, probably not an issue for most flyers.

I have a couple of iCharger 1010B which have given very reliable service up to 10s over several years and am happy to recommend the brand, but my current favourite charger is the Chargery 50010 http://www.chargery.com/50010B.asp     (the 1.3 amp balance current can be useful)

Dick