First taste of the sky

toto

Just missed your post there David.

I am starting to lose my head up my own crevis. 

What I can do is run the quantum 40 in the Sky 40 that it is already installed in along with a 60 amp ESC and the same size prop. Stick a 4s battery on with it and see what that throws out before deciding 2hether or not to move it into the domino.

Toto

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toto said:

Just missed your post there David.

I am starting to lose my head up my own crevis. 

What I can do is run the quantum 40 in the Sky 40 that it is already installed in along with a 60 amp ESC and the same size prop. Stick a 4s battery on with it and see what that throws out before deciding 2hether or not to move it into the domino.

Toto

Do that Toto and let us see the figures.

53 minutes ago, toto said:

Maybe I should just call it a day and 4un the set up I have with the 6s batteries. 

If that potentially fits the bill then let's leave it at that.

Toto

Toto,

The 500kV motor on a 6s will be VERY similar in performance (i.e. absorbed power) to an 800kV on 4s (assuming same prop). That's the beauty and flexibility of 'lectrics.

Just be sure to run everything through the wattmeter to make sure that you're not overloading motor or esc.

Kim

p.s. If you go back to (I think) page 1 of your Domino thread, I suggested a 4250 800kV for 4 cell or the same at 500kV for 6 cell. Either way, it'll work.

Edited by Kim Taylor
  • Like 2

So either my current set up on a 6s or the 800kv on a 4s.

I'll test out the 800kv 4s tomorrow night as I am jumping back and forward catching up on this whilst dealing with a family power of attorney issue.

Soon be finished it but a bit late for starting in the shed. So ..... as always I appreciate all the input and shall follow up with the latest advice tomorrow as mentioned.

I have also found my luggage scales so can throw in some more actual accurate weight figures into the scenario as well.

Thanks all for getting me to where I am ..... a few headache tablets and a chat with my mate John Smith I think ..... :classic_biggrin:

I hope you all have your own stash of paracetamol as well.

Cheers

Toto

So ...... domestics finally concluded for tonight. 

Tonight was a bit of a right off as I had to duck and dive with the above so no shed time. I'll get back into that tomorrow and run some tests on the 800kv set up that is lurking in the Sky 40 as discussed above apologies for not getting ahead of the 8 ball.

However .... another update on my flying journey ..... I am now a fully paid up member of the east fortune aeromodellers and my next planned visit is Sunday. ( weather pending ).

I will attend with whatever version of the above model configuration prevails as the time approaches.

I'm getting a bit excited actually as I get the feeling that once the Domino has achieved its final " agreed spec " things are going to move very fast. Hopefully having put all technical set ups to the side ...... it's on to some serious flying.

Whilst my mentor is a decent chap, I think he has the ability to know which buttons to push and in which manner to get the best out of me and catapult my flying progress greatly.

I get a lot of confidence and think that his " once you are a member, you'll be doing your own take off's and landings " declaration could become reality fairly quickly. How good would it be to be flying solo relatively quickly before the year is through. Best Christmas present anyone could give ......:classic_biggrin:

So there is the incentive .... the rest is up to me.

Until tomorrow back in the shed

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 2

Ok ..... in the shed and getting things set up with the sky 40 and the following .....

The  motor is one of these ....

P1120342.thumb.JPG.ab77dd3ee3ea4d1c174d3f3957d76918.JPG

the ESC is one of these .....

P1120339.thumb.JPG.995cf8043b5e631f38ef40d4ad3784f3.JPG

The prop .......

P1120337.thumb.JPG.e86c13b89222fccc4125a7b7f7dcf139.JPG

and ....

P1120338.thumb.JPG.523082c9a3fa37eceb7e06b17745c621.JPG

the battery .....

P1120343.thumb.JPG.ff2838896bf59f7e551e5b62bc069f14.JPG

the Watt meter ......

P1120344.thumb.JPG.9d1d987326fd96692ec0e8156a04a803.JPG

and a receiver .... 

P1120340.thumb.JPG.8afad44f456d50621aec3360e6c560f3.JPG

Now ...... I bound the receiver and the transmitter and started setting up the various bits and pieces. tested that the prop was spinning the correct way .... and it was ....

first set of figures from the Watt meter right left to right and top to bottom from the watt meter with the battery plugged in BUT NO THROTTLE ACTIVATED

00.00 A                       16.36 V

11.09 AP                       00.00 W

16.32 VM

181.6 WP

00.00 AH

00.00 WH

Next with the throttle on full

39.25 A                      14.59 V

42.32 AP                    552.9 W

14.25 VM

636.4 WP

0.491 AH

7.6      WH

and there we have it ............. the jury is back out

The suggested weight on the destructions ( electric or IC ) is around 2.5 KG or 5.5 Ib.

so ..... pretty much bang on 100watts per Ib.

OK .... time to feed myself to the dogs ......😄

toto

forgot to mention ..... after running full throttle to take readings for approximately a minute and a half or so ..... The ESC was warm ..... is this normal ?

cheers

toto

Edited by toto

Those results look spot on, Toto, well within the capabilities of both the motor and speed controller. I would be surprised if the ESC didn't feel warm after a minute and a half's run time at full throttle! What you don't want is for it to feel hot to the touch, the next stage is burnout!

I would also ditch the paint stirrer prop and put an equivalent APC on it.

Edited by Nick Cripps
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, toto said:

Ok ..... in the shed and getting things set up with the sky 40 and the following .....

The  motor is one of these ....

P1120342.thumb.JPG.ab77dd3ee3ea4d1c174d3f3957d76918.JPG

the ESC is one of these .....

P1120339.thumb.JPG.995cf8043b5e631f38ef40d4ad3784f3.JPG

The prop .......

P1120337.thumb.JPG.e86c13b89222fccc4125a7b7f7dcf139.JPG

and ....

P1120338.thumb.JPG.523082c9a3fa37eceb7e06b17745c621.JPG

the battery .....

P1120343.thumb.JPG.ff2838896bf59f7e551e5b62bc069f14.JPG

the Watt meter ......

P1120344.thumb.JPG.9d1d987326fd96692ec0e8156a04a803.JPG

and a receiver .... 

P1120340.thumb.JPG.8afad44f456d50621aec3360e6c560f3.JPG

Now ...... I bound the receiver and the transmitter and started setting up the various bits and pieces. tested that the prop was spinning the correct way .... and it was ....

first set of figures from the Watt meter right left to right and top to bottom from the watt meter with the battery plugged in BUT NO THROTTLE ACTIVATED

00.00 A                       16.36 V

11.09 AP                       00.00 W

16.32 VM

181.6 WP

00.00 AH

00.00 WH

Next with the throttle on full

39.25 A                      14.59 V

42.32 AP                    552.9 W

14.25 VM

636.4 WP

0.491 AH

7.6      WH

and there we have it ............. the jury is back out

The suggested weight on the destructions ( electric or IC ) is around 2.5 KG or 5.5 Ib.

so ..... pretty much bang on 100watts per Ib.

OK .... time to feed myself to the dogs ......😄

toto

forgot to mention ..... after running full throttle to take readings for approximately a minute and a half or so ..... The ESC was warm ..... is this normal ?

cheers

toto

Sorted

I've ordered another 40 size 800kv motor up.

I'll keep the 500Kv for another day. If its here before the weekend .... I'll have it fitted to the Domino for my next field day ( Sunday all going well ) if not ..... its the bigger motor with the 6S batteries until it arrives.

Hopefully that is that out of the way and the Domino can now be considered as being " spec'd out " for flying to a constant setup.

toto

Hi Andy .....

I'll get round to ordering some more APC props to fit the size. I'll make use of the Master Airscrew for the time being.

what is the low down on the Master Airscrew anyway .... I'm not in the know ...... 😄

toto  

4 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Andy .....

I'll get round to ordering some more APC props to fit the size. I'll make use of the Master Airscrew for the time being.

what is the low down on the Master Airscrew anyway .... I'm not in the know ...... 😄

toto  

Our posts crossed.  The Master Airscrew is positively agricultural compared with the APC.  Oh, get the APC Electric prop not the heavier IC power prop.  The APC company produce extremely accurate prop blade profiles.  They are the most efficient, unless you go for the eye wateringly expensive carbon props, and are usually quieter than other makes.  So you get more thrust for the same motor power. 

• Like 2

That particular prop is designed for engines and is heavier and sturdier to stand shock and vibration. Electric props, such as the APC 'E' series are lighter and more efficient. The Master is also a more 'traditional' design whereas APC props use a more sophisticated blade design which is also more efficient. It means you should get more thrust from an APC for the same power.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, toto said:

I've ordered another 40 size 800kv motor up.

I'll keep the 500Kv for another day. If its here before the weekend .... I'll have it fitted to the Domino for my next field day ( Sunday all going well ) if not ..... its the bigger motor with the 6S batteries until it arrives.

Hopefully that is that out of the way and the Domino can now be considered as being " spec'd out " for flying to a constant setup.

toto

Why dont you fit the motor to the domino you've just tested. Get one finished ready for the weekend instead of flitting between lots of different models. Its only 4 bolts!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, toto said:

A fair point Learner .... I was trying to avoid a little less work .... but for what it is ...... a good call.

it shall be done.

toto

Shouldn't take long then its done ready. Think I saw a picture with really long bolts so might take a bit longer, maybe shorten them.

• Like 1