Resin tank versus diesel fuel

MikeQ

Hello

how would a resin tank standup to model diesel fuel.  I want to make a slightly odd shaped tank on an RC conversion of a FF Mercury Tiger Moth and yes I could do it out of brass sheet but have an idea to do it in resin?  Im better at 3D modell8ng than 3D metal bending 🤣

A6D3F7E3-3759-4BA8-BD3C-CDB57C1CADBC.thumb.jpeg.79941291a7c2c4651f1d4017749c399a.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ

Hi

I’ll  give it a go and see what happens.  If it springs a leak then ill just print another.  Just wondered if it was a big no no as in it will turn to gloop or something.

on a related note i knocked up some dashboards.  These are just test shots.

55339E58-5D75-4A70-B12C-3E0AC6597546.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Why don't you 3D print your fuel tank ?

haha ... that was the original question.  Would diesel affect the resin?  I’ll give it a go regardless.

cheers

mike

17 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

A lot of fiddling about, make it up with cardboard, lay it down on the table then tape it together and cut it out in tin and solder it together.

Hi Paul . By the time  you take to plot and program your printer and wait for a print I woukd probably have a tank, even a complex shape made and fitted  plus you know it will withstand the fuel .Decent tin plate is just as good as brass plate and usually free from old thinners cans etc.

Re-inventing the wheel seems pointless to me unless its a producton run and prototyoe testing has been carried out but each to their own 😉.

For the Mills .75 you can get on the fleabay reproduction tanks, an extended tank with twice capacity [ aprox ] is available.  My Veron Cardinal has one seven to eight mins of powered flight plus glide.

SAM_1616 (2).JPG

4 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Hi Paul . By the time  you take to plot and program your printer and wait for a print I woukd probably have a tank, even a complex shape made and fitted  plus you know it will withstand the fuel .Decent tin plate is just as good as brass plate and usually free from old thinners cans etc.

Re-inventing the wheel seems pointless to me unless its a producton run and prototyoe testing has been carried out but each to their own 😉.

We’d still be flying models made out of bamboo, nails and fish glue if that were the case 😀.  The space and shape may well be tight and odd.   Its not time wasted if you do it whilst at work on your imaginary ‘fag breaks’.  Im not after repro tanks, the Mills has an RC throttle which takes up space where the tank would be.  Theres Resin printers and PLA.  I’d be using resin on this one.  

All i was asking is if PLA is affected by diesel🤣

Edited by MikeQ

59 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Well in that case test print a simple tank of resin and test by leaving fuel in it for a while.:classic_smile:

Great minds think alike 😀.  But sometimes its easier to just ask in the first place before trying.  Thanks anyway.  Will update on what happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...