Update on the ep Chilli Breeze

Delks

Work on the new ep Chilli Breeze has been progressing and the airframe is now finally ready to cover. I also aim to give details of an i.c. conversion on the plan. Construction follows the original design but the all sheet tail surfaces have been replaced with built up items and the u/c is now mounted on the fuselage. There are also a few other small changes but the good news is that laser cut ribs are now a possibility or, if you wish to cut your own a set of rib patterns will be on the plan. In the end I decided to opt for a bottom mounted battery hatch as this frees up space for battery and esc and avoids the the need to vandalise the fuselage top. The model was quickly assembled for the photos  to give an idea of the general layout. I used slec medium grade balsa throughout and made no particular attempts to save weight and the bare wooden airframe weighed in at 17.8oz/505g. This is about what I expected with a built up wing but a foam wing will only add add a few extra ounces. 

finished airframe 2.jpg

Battery Hatch 2.jpg

Edited by Delks
various
  • Like 4

The updated Chilli Breeze shares most of the details of its predecessor but now has a 13%  modified NACA wing section and the fuz has been widened slightly to help with battery access, There are a few other minor changes but the moments etc remain as per the original. Although the new model is designed around an electric set-up I intend to show an ic mod on the plan.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Chilli Breeze EP plan is going to be published in the RCM&E. The prototype is now finished and the motor is a 4-Max PO-3541-1270 turning an 11"x7"prop on 3s/ 10"x6" on 4s. The model came out a bit lighter than expected - the ready-to-fly weight is 48oz which includes a 260g lipo. The photos show an alternative angular nose job but the original one could also be used. There will be a few tweeks still to do - more  info soon.   

2CB 8 lr.jpg

2CB13 lr.jpg

CB 9a.jpg

Edited by Delks
added another pic and some text
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

After returning to our wonderful hobby the Chillibreeze just the idea model to get me back into aero's. And the right size with a span of just 48", so Yes I'm excited, not bad for a 63 Year old!

Does anyone known when it be in RCM&E, I hope before Christmas (oh should I say that word?)

Anyway, looking toward to seeing it.

Dave.

Edited by Teacher
Bad spelling!

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 22:55, Modelman said:

Just finishing off my rendition of the electric chilli breeze with wing mounted U/C and was wondering if the decals are available to purchase?

The lettering is available from Tribal Signs.co.uk. On their website there is a lettering designer. Font: Brush Script MT - size: outerbox 300mm for the fuz and 400 for the wing - colour of your choice - high quality vinyl. They are helpful and friendly with a quick turn around. 

On 13/10/2023 at 16:11, Teacher said:

Hi all,

After returning to our wonderful hobby the Chillibreeze just the idea model to get me back into aero's. And the right size with a span of just 48", so Yes I'm excited, not bad for a 63 Year old!

Does anyone known when it be in RCM&E, I hope before Christmas (oh should I say that word?)

Anyway, looking toward to seeing it.

Dave.

The publication is planned for the January and February issues of RCM&E - before the Yuletide celebrations begin!

Just completed the first test flights and I am very happy with the performance.

PO 3541-1270 with 10x5 prop, 4M-HESC50AV2 50 amp ESC and PPL-60C4S-3300 battery from 4max models.

Decals supplied by Pyramid models now available on their website.

Flying weight 52oz.

Very smooth just like the original Irvine 36 powered version I built when the plan was first published..

I decided to keep the wing mounted UC but swept it forward to stop the nose over tendencies the original tended to do on our rough strip.

No lack of power for unlimited vertical performance.

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

• Like 6

On 09/11/2023 at 12:16, Delks said:

The publication is planned for the January and February issues of RCM&E - before the Yuletide celebrations 

Thanks Delks, January and February. Really looking forward to seeing it published. Your revamp design does seem to be getting a lot of interest. 

Dave.

Modelman,  was your model built from the old plan or the latest plan which has not been published yet?    I have always thought that RCME plans should be built by a test builder before publishing to ensure the plans are correct and complete. 

I used the old plan, the build was underway before I heard about the possibility of an updated plan from Delks.

My thinking was to maintain all the features of the original design with as little modification to the outline as possible.

The motor is mounted on a stand off keeping the original IC bulkhead position, that way the nose profile could be maintained.

The fuselage had to be widened by around 10mm to make access easier for the 4s battery pack.

The undercarriage was angled forward to stop the inevitable nose overs on take off and landing, a tendency my original model frequently exhibited on our uneven strip.

• 4 weeks later...

Too dear at £119 plus £98 for the extra wood!   And not even any hardware.   £209 for both with plan.  Plenty of kits for less.

Whether the lasercut parts are really needed depends on the designer - some designers make CAD plans with many intricate interlocking components that really need cut parts.   Other designers draw by hand and have mainly square formers etc which are easy to cut by hand.    We must wait a few days to see what Delks has drawn........RCME  is due this week.

The  plan is due in RCME this week and next month, so save buying the plan.   The plan alone costs  £16 while the original i.c plan costs £18 now.

If memory serves Sarik have often had a 10percent off sale at New Year in the past -- - -maybe wait to buy the lasercut parts?

• Like 1