NX transmitters and the cloud

toto

I have a couple of questions with regards to NX transmitters and " the cloud "

I am aware that you can link your NX transmitters into your broadband connection and back up your setting etc to the cloud storage.

1. Has anybody done this as yet.

2. If I back up both my NX6 and NX8 to the cloud, will this automatically since both transmitters files together, ie , will it automatically copy any stored models and their settings from say the NX6 to the NX8 or does this need to be done manually.

Meanwhile ...... whilst I look at setting my transmitters up on broadband, what would be the process for copying model files from one to the other ?

Thanks for any assistance

Toto

Advert

Thanks for that Nigel,

I have a sandisk 32gb micro memory card for both transmitters. 

I also have copies of both instruction manuals but they were in the shed when I raised the question so aplogies if I have appeared to lazy to search for that myself. I was just keen to get an answer in my head to get a view on how difficult... or easy ... the task was going to be.

This task is part of my homework for 5onight to get both the Beaver and a carbon Cub files transferred from my NX6 to my NX8.

The Carbon Cub is not so important as I just managed to bind it last night after a few aborted attempts. The Cub file has not been changed but the Beaver has been set up with various bespoke settings etc by my Instructor. This will save me the hassle of trying to manually transfer individual settings ove.

The binding process can be so temperamental, I tried on several attempts to follow what appears to be a very straight forward process to no avail. I simply walked around to the other side of the model and about a further foot away and .... bingo ..... no problem. Quite frustrating really,

Never mind .... things are getting there slowly. Both transmitters registered with Spektrum, latest updated software has been downloaded onto both and after I have done the above file transfer..... all ie well and up to date.

However ..... I am going to look further into the broadband connection into the transmitter as I should be able to automatically receive any further software updates via my wireless internet connection. I also want to understand if the cloud storage / internet facilitate any kind of cloning between transmitters, for example, if you were to bind a new model to the NX8 ( let's assume a 6 channel model also compatible with the NX6 ) would the NX6 automatically update as well? 

It will be interesting to wee the full capability of the system.

Again, thanks for your response to the above.

Toto 

2 hours ago, toto said:

This task is part of my homework for 5onight to get both the Beaver and a carbon Cub files transferred from my NX6 to my NX8.

However ..... I am going to look further into the broadband connection into the transmitter as I should be able to automatically receive any further software updates via my wireless internet connection. I also want to understand if the cloud storage / internet facilitate any kind of cloning between transmitters, for example, if you were to bind a new model to the NX8 ( let's assume a 6 channel model also compatible with the NX6 ) would the NX6 automatically update as well? 

Why would you want the same model memories on 2 different Txs?

And why do you want the cloud involved? 

4 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Why would you want the same model memories on 2 different Txs?

And why do you want the cloud involved? 

I have the same models on 2 Spektrum transmitters, DX7 is the main, DX6 is a backup so I can continue flying if the DX7 goes in for service or repair.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Should HAVE bought Futaba (only correcting :classic_laugh:)

In all seriousness, I have never thought about people duplicating model memories, or saving them to the cloud.But then I have never though of people having more than say 10 flyable models, but clearly they do. I'm not as much into the hobby as some people, obviously.

A couple of things ..... if my understanding is correct.

1. If you have your models on two of the transmitters .... they are set up for buddying. ..... why would I want this ....... once I have learned sufficient skills on my trainers, I have a couple of more possibly technically demanding models that I'd like to fly. .... I might have my basic wings by that time , but my intentions are to ask my instructor to buddy me on various models that may still need a little coaching. Having them on both transmitters will provide that facility.

2. Rather than faffing around with micro memory cards to download and transfer specific model set ups and characteristics from one transmitter to another, ..... my question would be ..... is it possible that the transmitters maybe able to be automatically cloned as you upload your details.

As to point 2..... maybe asking too much but these things are possible in other applications / markets, so just asking the question of the more technically knowledgeable. 

It's a discussion point that may be able to be concluded and shut down quite quickly.

Cheers

Toto 

1 hour ago, toto said:

2. Rather than faffing around with micro memory cards to download and transfer specific model set ups and characteristics from one transmitter to another

You can transfer settings from one transmitter to another without sdcards. 

Connecting the transmitter using a usb cable to a desktop/laptop the sdcard in the transmitter will be visible for instance in Windows in file explorer. You can copy the SD card files off to your hard drive, connect the second transmitter and copy the files back to it. You will now also have a backup on your hard drive in the event of the sdcard failing. Having seen a few bugs in the NX firmware this is a reliable method to use.

Edited by PDB
  • Like 1

Just now, GrumpyGnome said:

I'm not a Spektrum user, but I would ask - do they really both need all the settings for each aeroplane?  Naively, I assumed just the Master would need it....

Correct, only the master transmitter (the instructors) needs the model settings, the slave (the students) doesn't.

• Like 1

Without trying to over complicate things.

If you wanted to use your second ( slave ) transmitter as a standby for example if your TX battery ran out on your main transmitter, then both would need to be set up.

My next question would then be .... is it possible to have both transmittere bound to the RX or will the RX only accept one bound transmitter at any one time.

Again, not looking for problems but just trying to understand the limits of the equipment.

Thanks

Toto

7 minutes ago, toto said:

Without trying to over complicate things.

If you wanted to use your second ( slave ) transmitter as a standby for example if your TX battery ran out on your main transmitter, then both would need to be set up.

My next question would then be .... is it possible to have both transmittere bound to the RX or will the RX only accept one bound transmitter at any one time.

Again, not looking for problems but just trying to understand the limits of the equipment.

Thanks

Toto

Belt and double braces Toto

Totally unnecessary 

You can fast charge the odd low Tx battery as it is a rare occurrence going to the field with a flat transmitter.

All eventualities would be 2 or everything we own

Complicating things doubles problems and failures too

So, set everything up on the Master tx, making sure everything is stored on the sd card; periodically backup the sd card.

If your Master tx breaks, the contents of the sd card will be fine to use in your backup/slave.

You will probably need to rebind.....

Hopefully someone will confirm.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

22 hours ago, toto said:

I have a couple of questions with regards to NX transmitters and " the cloud "

I am aware that you can link your NX transmitters into your broadband connection and back up your setting etc to the cloud storage.

Toto, just remember that 'The Cloud' is just storing your data on somebody else's computer.

Might be good, might be scary - you decide 🙃

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, toto said:

You have two transmitters and two models, try it. 🙂

Thanks chaps.

I'll have a go to see if two bindings are possible to one receiver. It may let it happen or it may cancel out any previous binding in favour of the latest TX to be bound to it. No harm in trying. Again, just trying to work out the limitations of the equipment. 

Toto 

12 hours ago, toto said:

My next question would then be .... is it possible to have both transmittere bound to the RX 

No

For explanation each Spektrum Tx has a unique serial code called a GUID (Globally Unique Identification code). Once a receiver is bound to that code it will not respond to another transmitter without rebinding.

Edited by John Lee
Typo