Wing Bands

Have a plane to build that uses wing bands.  Haven't used wing bands for decades and then they came with the kit.

This time I have to buy them - is there a good rule of thumb of what length to buy - obviously shorter than the distance over the wing between the dowels but how much by?

It depends on the tension the band exerts, thick bands will not crush or break a big strong wing. Not so a weaker wing. 
Rough guess, measure the distance from the dowel position, round the wing, and then to the second dowel position. Get a band of about 70% of that distance. 

Flying hand launch from rough fields you cant beat wing bands for saving damage when a wing tip is caught on landing and tries to twist of, may bust the bands some times but usual to just twist out of place.

As Don says nice wide bands about 3/4 total distance between dowels over the wing.

My Fun Gus 3c fun fly on the lawn, only two bands just for the pic.

SAM_1765.JPG

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Flying hand launch from rough fields you cant beat wing bands for saving damage when a wing tip is caught on landing and tries to twist of, may bust the bands some times but usual to just twist out of place.

As Don says nice wide bands about 3/4 total distance between dowels over the wing.

My Fun Gus 3c fun fly on the lawn, only two bands just for the pic.

SAM_1765.JPG

I've never had problems operating models with no undercarriage & bolt on or plug in wings from rough land.  

Wing bolts are nicer and cheaper.........because rubber bands deteriorate quickly.   I find the rubber bands on my frequently flown model last about 3 to 6 months before they go off or snap.

18 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

I expect you know Nigel but SLEC sell quality wing bands of all sizes.

No I didn't know that.  I had just been looking at my locals shop that sells lots of different sizes but not an assorted pack - so you need to know what size to buy.

What I'm sure about is how much tension - the balance of tension and not crishing the wing.

14 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

No I didn't know that.  I had just been looking at my locals shop that sells lots of different sizes but not an assorted pack - so you need to know what size to buy.

What I'm sure about is how much tension - the balance of tension and not crishing the wing.

All these years for sports size 5ft - 6ft span, approx 10" chord, or other size close by have deducted 2" from the chord, so 8" bands.

I have found 6 bands to be safest amount

Edited by Denis Watkins
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

That is the million dollar question. And  no answer. As stated above, I start from a band and out 70% of the distance it’s going to stretch to. Thin light wings, longer band. How much longer, try it out. It’s a problem with bands, once you have loads of sizes, and experience, it’s easy. In the old days every one had bands, you could scrounge. Nowadays it’s a minority interest, bolt on is normal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...