Lipo connections

fly boy3

2 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Overlander give the option of 3 different types on most of their lipo packs.

XT60 (best)

EC3 (OK)

Deans (worst)

https://www.overlander.co.uk/

I avoid EC3 after a plane crash landed on takeoff. Fortunately the plane wasn't damaged, but on connecting EC3 plug it had pushed the socket partly out of the blue holder, and the vibration of the take off had caused it to disconnect. XT60 for me every time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

👍 for Overlander for an extra £1 choose your plug and they solder it. Saves me a lot of grief. Excellent service.

Not quite - the price includes a standard connector - it has been Deans for all the ones that I have looked at but maybe that changes for bigger batteries.  The +£1 is if you want a different connector.

So for the batteries I was looking at, Deans was included in the price but EC3 or XT60 were £1 extra.

BTW I quite like Deans although I have started to standardise o XT60.  Still use Deans on my AcroWot foam-E because the Deans are much smaller and the battery compartment is very cramped.

3 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

Deans have a spring which can weaken and give poor contact, also difficult to undo with arthritic fingers. XT s  every time and you can score the case for extra grip

My arthritic thumbs can't undo XT60s any easier than genuine Deans (which have springs which don't seem to weaken).  I still like Deans because of their small size, but am switching to XT60 for my models which use packs in parallel, to avoid the situation where a live connector is exposed while only one battery is connected.

Edited by Allan Bennett

4 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I've seen 3rd party Deans that don't quite make connection and others where the spring has distorted, I don't recommend.

I find Deans very inconsistent, some tight and some that will fall apart.

GNB come with XT connectors so and moving towards that form the EC3/5's that seen to be on the general way out

XT every time for me, foolproof connection, but use a dummy piece in the plug/socket when soldering just in case you accidentally overheat it so the brass cannot move in the nylon.

If they are tight, just squeeze the pins slightly together in the male part.

• Like 1