Fuel for Four stroke GLOW (asp81)

1 hour ago, David Davis said:

15% synthetic oil, 5% nitro, 80% methanol should work.

The 'new' Laser 5 now produced by Optifuel is perfect. 15%  synth oil and 5% nitro. Used the older Model Technics stuff in all my OSs and ASPs for years with complete reliability. The Optifuel version that I've just started on is even better. Get mine from Leeds Model Shop - very reasonable postage and quick delivery I find.

I never get quite so paranoid about running in  engines as some folks do. Obviously, the correct method needs to be used for the type of engine in question. Keep it simple - ASPs are reasonably tolerant of not being treated with kid gloves when new, but that's no excuse to abuse them. Follow the ASP instructions and you'll be fine.

If you need a copy, PM me and I'll send you a scan of their generic sheet.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Cuban has it covered although i recommend a slightly harder run in procedure than the instructions as the rings are soft as butter and you need to get some heat through them to harden them up. Before that though remove the rocker cover and generously lubricate it with some 2 stroke oil. Then remove the cam cover and do the same. Plenty of it, dont be shy as ASP were pretty tight when it came to oiling their engines. Once done fire it up, run it at around 5000rpm but pretty rich for about 2 minutes, then wind it up to full power and very quickly (under 10 seconds) roughly tune it for about 90% of peak before throttling back. I set the slow run tuning to be less abysmal than the factory setting and then run for about another 5 minutes at varying power settings from idle to full. Full throttle runs are to be 5 seconds tops and most running will be around half throttle. GIve it a few accelerations from idle to full power too, and when its time to turn it off full power again for 5 seconds and pinch the fuel to stop it. Let it cool, go again with the same procedure, cool again, tune for peak performance and fly but only use full power sparingly for the first 5 flights. Then change to 14x6 and do what you like with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Cooper said:

There is only fuel worth using, and it's Prosynth. 

Use 10% nitro for an ASP four stroke. 

Absolutely not. We have been over it many times, but its really not impressive stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Welford said:

Prosynth fuel Is very much a Marmite issue. Those who use it seem to like it and those who don't use it, don't!

I have used Prosynth with 2-strokes without any issues.

Jon, do you use Laser 5 with 2-strokes, or don't you play with 2-strokes?

I used the old laser 5 in the one 2 stroke i ran, others at my club used it in 2 and 4 strokes from all brands. I have not used the new stuff in a 2 stroke myself but customers are and have reported the performance to be excellent. As its the same klotz oil and additives as used in the rest of the optifuel range it will be fine as long as the low oil version isnt used by accident. The laser 5 15% oil is basically the same as normal 5% optifuel just with 3% less oil in it. 

The westons thing has been done to death. If i thought it was good, or even tolerably mediocre, i wouldnt make a fuss. I would even recommend a castor fuel over that stuff, and castor is well and truly dead. 

I must say that I find it curious that all of my glow engines - and I have many - all run smoothly, have instant throttle response, stay clean inside and out, and have extremely long  and reliable lives due to running on Prosynth. Probably the best fuel in the world.

This isn't a glib statement based on a single bottle of fuel. . . It is a statement of fact derived from over 23 years (and counting) of using hundreds of gallons of the stuff. 

I just find it bizarre that every engine I have loves the stuff but, apparently, there is one make which can't or won't run on it.  

Fair enough, use a different fuel in that make of engine. But let the rest run on perfection. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Cooper said:

there is one make which can't or won't run on it

Try a TT91. Wasnt impressed at all when i tested it. Clearly your standards are much lower than mine if you think it offers satisfactory performance. 

Anyway we have argued about this many times in the past and you simply do not want to learn. I have nothing to gain by badmouthing a good product, so why would i go to all the trouble? Perhaps i know more about it than an end user. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

So complicated this electric flight  ! IC powered flight!  A good second hand OS 35  10-cell NiCd pack would have powered his Radio Queen at a fraction of the price! 

Just joshing. 😉

Nah! A 3S is all you need in a Radio Queen!

6 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Try a TT91. Wasnt impressed at all when i tested it. Clearly your standards are much lower than mine if you think it offers satisfactory performance. 

Anyway we have argued about this many times in the past and you simply do not want to learn. I have nothing to gain by badmouthing a good product, so why would i go to all the trouble? Perhaps i know more about it than an end user. 

Are you saying Jon that Prosynth is unsuitable for the Thunder Tiger 91 but that the engine will run well on another fuel, or are you saying that the TT91 is an unimpressive engine regardless of the fuel? If the latter then I must have lower standards than you because I have two of these engines!

4 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

Are you saying Jon that Prosynth is unsuitable for the Thunder Tiger 91 but that the engine will run well on another fuel, or are you saying that the TT91 is an unimpressive engine regardless of the fuel? If the latter then I must have lower standards than you because I have two of these engines!

They run fine on the right fuel. A friend has one and it runs perfectly on everything that isnt prosynth. 

Don't ever recall seeing Prosynth used at either of my clubs - perhaps they decanted the stuff into Model Technics bottles to avoid the hoots and cat-calls of others?

Lighten up chaps..........BTW there's a good row about E10 V E5 petrol raging on one of the motorbike forums that I follow.

Yes, I have used Prosynth when I couldn't get my usual brew - it ran OK but for some reason it caused a greasy precipitate to form in carb jets (a bit like Dairylea Cheese) after a week's non-use. Made starting a pain until cleaned away. Probably some reaction to the dregs of the old and different fuel that may well have corrected itself with more running.

Trouble with many of the controversies that run through our hobby and get aired on this very forum - Lipo brands, radio brands, model quality and so on, is that there are no properly conducted 'Which' style tests conducted over a long term. Hence, other than manufacturers' specific instructions,  opinon, personal experience and heresay (heresy?) tend to be what we have to go on alone. Find what works for you, basically.

God forbid anyone joining the forum flying an MDS powered, foam, carboard and correx non scale model, with cheap copy chinese radio gear, and run on castor based fuel with dairylea additive!.. who screams it about the sky with gay abandon and has been enjoying himself for 20+ years, ...poor fella wouldnt last 5 minutes on here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, extra slim said:

God forbid anyone joining the forum flying an MDS powered, foam, carboard and correx non scale model, with cheap copy chinese radio gear, and run on castor based fuel with dairylea additive!.. who screams it about the sky with gay abandon and has been enjoying himself for 20+ years, ...poor fella wouldnt last 5 minutes on here.

You are obviously talking about me, I 😅did all that and still do,,,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

perhaps they decanted the stuff into Model Technics bottles to avoid the hoots and cat-calls of others

I know a bloke who did this with pies. He was too cheap to buy the nice pies his mrs liked unless they were on offer so he kept the box filled it with rubbish pies in an effort to convince his mrs he wasnt a cheapskate. What really boggled my mind was how proud he was of his deception. 

2 hours ago, extra slim said:

Chaps at 2 of the clubs i have flown at had drainpipe models. The models at latter of the two clubs didnt get much air time due to their unreliable engines, years old fuel and failing radio equipment. The only cheese in sight though was in sandwich from. perhaps that was their issue 😉 

• Haha 1