Cutting balsa strips.

Yes, have used one of those many times. For 1/32nd strips you're going to be on the first click of the dial and need to take great care that it doesn't wander in use - the edge of the sheet isn't going to provide much resistance. You might think of clamping a straight edge to the bench to help guide the stripper.

Had the Master Airscrew one for years.

Have been disappointed with it for years.

It relies on the existing cut edge to cut parallel to, and combined with its own short straight edge, it tends to wander a little.

Every subsequent strip then reflects the same wander, and even amplify it.

The first strip taken off the machined edge is great because if that machined edge. The next strip is slightly less perefect etc,

You'ĺl likely find you can only turn about half of each sheet into useable strips, cutting from each side of the sheet. The remainder will be too out of true to be useful, as will the remaining centre of your sheet which will go in your scrap box. So certainly not helpful to cost saving.

Use a knife+straightedge, or something else. Im about to try the slec one.

I've used a Master Airscrew balsa stripper for years. Maybe my standards or expectations are not particularly high, but I manage to get perfectly usable material for my needs with it. Brian Taylor Chipmunk I built a while back came out alright using one.

Depends if you're happy to make something merely practical that might need a bit of fettling here and there, or more like a work of art. Nothing wrong with that of course and I take my hat off to those that can make perfect joints, splices, scarfs etc that wouldn't disgrace a high quality piece of furniture.

Danny Fenton's work comes to mind amongst others.

To be fair, stripping 1/32 sheet with reasonable accuracy is going to be a challenge, no matter whose stripper one uses.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

I agree - the Master Airscrew stripper works very well for me.  You can make life easier by ensuring you always have a sharp blade (I use ordinary scalpel blades) and by making sure any grain is pulling the guide into the edge. On thicker material take a light cut (rock the tool slightly) and repeat. 

if you do have a moment and get it wrong, a few strokes with a long sanding block will true the sheet edge again with minimal waste.  The main advantage to me is convenience but it’s financially good as well - strip typically works out at least 3 times the cost. 

Quick tip - store with the blade tip protected in a scrap of balsa! 🩹

• Like 2