Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

Advert

Longer than usual trip out to my old club field today, due to a road closure and disappointed on arrival to find that the forecast 1-3mph was 8-10mph. Nevertheless got some decent flights in with my Corsair and the Outlaw, before the wind strengthened to 12-16mph, which led to a very uncomfortable re-maiden of my repaired FMS Zero. 

The wee Volantex Mustang came into it's own again, eating up all that the strong, blustery wind could chuck at her and just sitting there like a rock-steady kestrel ready for the swoop,

• Like 2

Wife-sitting after her minor surgery fir last few days, so no flying.  Pottering and gardening.  Found the issues with my petrol P51 and W4 - the tube to the clunks was really stiff, and bent from standing on their noses. Replaced tubes, and put racks onto coop wall so they can sit level.

Still recovering from the Southern Model Show bring'n'buy that my club runs.

Very busy, some sellers were a tad optimistic with their pricing, but there were some some bargains too. Amazingly I managed to resist the urge as, in the past, I've got something home and, of course, wondered 'why did I buy that!' 🙂

IMG_7747.jpeg

IMG_7746.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Still recovering from the Southern Model Show bring'n'buy that my club runs.

Very busy, some sellers were a tad optimistic with their pricing, but there were some some bargains too. Amazingly I managed to resist the urge as, in the past, I've got something home and, of course, wondered 'why did I buy that!' 🙂

IMG_7747.jpeg

IMG_7746.jpeg

Lovely selection of aircraft.  

Still enjoying my Warbird Replicas’ La7 . It’s quite a few years old but very strong (and quite heavy) with my 10.5lb ‘ industrial build’. I think the weight helps it fly well especially in stronger winds. We had around 20mph on Monday and it flew very nicely. 

IMG_2995.jpeg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Tim Flyer said:

Still enjoying my Warbird Replicas’ La7 . It’s quite a few years old but very strong (and quite heavy) with my 10.5lb ‘ industrial build’. I think the weight helps it fly well especially in stronger winds. We had around 20mph on Monday and it flew very nicely. 

IMG_2995.jpeg

Really nice looking warbird and yes that bit of extra weight really helps on a windy day.  

Snuck out for a couple of hours while my post-op (not THAT post-op) wife phoned people....

Few nice lights on the Double Trouble (already fourth most flown plane I have had...) 

Little FW190 couldn't cope with the wind

Nice chat and walk-around of Pauls multi-year camper van project

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Glad to see yours is still flying Tim, I've still got to finish repairing mine from last year's crash!

Cheers Ron . I think well worth fixing 😊.  It’s a very steady flying model . The foam core wings are quite easy to repair with gorilla glue. I have also had the odd mishap with it but it keeps on going which is a credit to their good design.

I’m also using it to brush up on landing skills for my DB Spitfire…which we also had out last week.  
Thanks too Aidan . Totally agree with you. The weight doesn’t seem to be an issue despite its relatively modest 4s laser 80 power. The spitfire is nearly 22lb and is still fine on the 180 4stroke. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Snuck out for a couple of hours while my post-op (not THAT post-op) wife phoned people....

Few nice lights on the Double Trouble (already fourth most flown plane I have had...) 

Little FW190 couldn't cope with the wind

Nice chat and walk-around of Pauls multi-year camper van project

Geez - that must have been some wind - we regularly fly those models in windspeed of 16-18mph (measured) and they perform admirably, often flying when most other models are grounded. Since they are hand launched and get up in a few feet they are the idea model to fly in a strong cross wind especially, as they can get off across the strip with no issues. Landing is also a doddle, from any direction, but even into a crosswind they will descend gently and vertically to a soft landing on the grass.

Yesterday OTOH was absolutely flat calm, with not a cloud in the sky and I greatly enjoyed flying gentle circuits with my KK Outlaw, gradually working up to the point where I'll entrust her to single channel flight. Also had great fun with my wee Funnyfighter cartoon Spitfire, which is now very agile on 3s1p 600mah packs, compared to previous flights on 2 cells. Picture from the weekend courtesy of clubmate Steve - thanks Steve.

173951297_funnyspitfire.thumb.jpg.7a790abc31835af4813c1a24b8db4b28.jpg

• Like 4

I measured the temp at a smidge over 31º at the field today which was actually unpleasant to fly in so we all packed up before 3! I only managed a couple of flights with the Mustang and the Hurri which was sounding rather rough (unusual as it's the Laser 200 inline twin), I also lost a wheel on landing the Hurri due to the nut falling off. Impressive strength in the oleo and the mounting as despite making a 20' long scratch in the (grass) runway there was no damage, bonus was that we found the nut and the washer at the start of the scratch and the wheel about 100' further down the strip.

• Like 1

@leccyflyer - was 20mph+ 🙂 That's a ute little spitty!

Slightly calmer today - Wolfgang enjoyed his wild rides in the little FW........... plumbing gremlins beset my usually uber-reliable Wot4 - the tube for the clunk is as stiff as a very stiff thing so there is no clunking, and climbs after about 2 mins result in a dead stick.  Will replace tomorrow.  Was too warm to stay long....

Valiant tomorrow I think.

• Like 1

Thanks GG - the Spitty Dogfighter needs a Bf109E in the same style, so that's on the list.

For super windy days like that, if it's not a slope day you can't beat a Wot-4. My Foam-E version expired a couple of months ago and I really must put one of my classics back in service.

• Like 1