RC Modeller banned from flying on his own land

Advert

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

I'd be interested to see where exactly anyone has said that you should only fly at a club field. I certainly haven't seen that being posted on this forum.

Agreed; nobody ever said that. Our friend is just providing some spin to support his narrative.

I suspect it was these two posts (see below) from myself that triggered him, but as you can see they did not say anything like that, but jsut emphasised his legal responsibility to fly safely irrelevent of the weight of the model concerned...

16 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

And a means of controlling/containing crankshaft "thrust", but how about outrunner motors, semi thrust ball race bearing fitted to them, or are they bushed for front AND rear thrust modes/directions ?

I do not know...

Depends on the motor, but most commercially available motors are perfectly happy, running either clockwise or counterclockwise, they have bearings and reversible motor shafts to take the output from either the rear or the front of the motor and to allow mounting at the rear, with a radial mount, or at the front into a motor plate or former. The prop driver cn be mounted directly to the motor itself, or it can be a prop adaptor tightened onto the motor shaft either by a collet or by a grub screw. They are very flexible in how they are mounted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

And a means of controlling/containing crankshaft "thrust", but how about outrunner motors, semi thrust ball race bearing fitted to them, or are they bushed for front AND rear thrust modes/directions ?

I do not know...

Ball races are ok with thrust from either direction, it is taper rollers that are fussy. Not used in any model cases I know of.

Leccy got there first.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by J D 8
info

Start a new thread Paul about your proposed "pusher" model, some interesting stuff to come I feel.

Fit a "normal" ball race bearing to your car set up and see what happens.

Semi thrust ball race bearings and taper roller are used for a reason, but granted, normal ball race bearings are probably more than adequate for the "small" thrusts/loads involved with model aeroplane electric motor applications, 3 phase as well as multi pole brushed motors.

Ic motors, a slightly different matter entirely.

Lubrication, thrust faces and Thier needs etc..

I wonder how long modern car engines are going to last with the " press clutch pedal to enable engine to start" design ?

But anyway, thread drift, back to this wonderful hobby safety issues.

Safe flying is no accident, a blast from the past, and present, a reminder...

To reiterate, again, it is clear that the case in the OP had nothing whatseoever to do with model safety. It has been pointed out that this issue was one of ongoing poor relations with neighbours. That has been confirmed as the case from someone who actually knows the chap concerned. It was only the attempt to weave a thinly veiled agenda into the narrative that resulted in safety being brought up at all, right from the first post.

• Like 1