Engine recommended for Mick Reeves 74" Spitfire

Eric Robson

I have just bought a Mick Reeves Spitfire completely finished with all servos and retracts. Never fitted with an engine. As far as I can see a Laser would not be suitable as the carb is too low for the  fuel tank position.

I have a Saito 125 which will fit with a little persuasion but the exhaust is not very pretty sticking out. The specs call for a 10 to 20 cc, I don't want to go electric. 

16890328618051248169451392435851.thumb.jpg.e660aedfa3a2e3784331252741ffd887.jpg

Thanks Frank, I had that in mind as I've done that on my Saito 82b in another model. The 125 seems to vibrate despite balancing the prop and does not run as smooth as a Laser engine, I had it in a CML 109 and the vibration loosed the aileron hinges even after pinning also the rudder hinges. I fitted an Evolution 26cc and had no more problems. Since noise complaints at our site I have only flown one petrol model which I made a special exhaust for, it is slightly down on power but very quiet, downside it is hanging back from the engine, is heavy and needs to be tightened after a flying session. 

Loads of these have flown with our 150/155. Tank lowering is possible but needs a few mods to the fuselage and wing leading edge. 

If not i would be looking at a 150 class engine over a 120 unless the model is really light. 

Its mostly down to weight. I have known these be anything from 12-17lbs. Personally i would aim for 15 or so, and then a 150/5 is going to work nicely. In the case of the 155 you can fit a bigger prop and run the engine slower. This will give better efficiency, save on noise and sound nice as well. Better than a 120 howling its guts out if the model ends up heavier than expected. 

I had a Reeves Hurricane as well and flew on a laser 120. Again though, it was light at only about 13 or 14lbs. 

Thanks for the replys, I have not weighed the Spitfire yet but was a little dubious of using a 20 cc fs as a friend of mine powered his first M.R. Spitfire with an OS 120fs and complained about the performance, he replaced it with a Laser 150 but ran into trouble by not lowering the tank. He is now fitting a Saito 30cc petrol. 

I don't want to carve this one about so I will check the weight and if about 12 to 14lb I will try the 125. Problem with the Saito 125 is it is a light engine and holding the plane at around  the c of g quite a lot of lead will be needed. 

Bought it on Sunday ready built by someone who builds but doesn't fly all servos except the throttle  servo  included and the full Mick Reeves retracts and gearbox for one lifting before the other. For some reason he has cut the cowl top off and permanently fitted the sides building additional support which means I will need a right angle drill to drill the firewall for the engine mount. A job I only want to do once. The weight as it stands minus engine is 9.5lb the Saito 125 is 1.5lb so it may be OK 

16891109519536457159889912707326.jpg

16891109916948206835776823499427.jpg

18 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

A 26 cc petrol engine could be a viable alternative.  

Brian, I have a 26cc petrol engine but noise complaints have been made. The club has had the field for over 50 years, the property is over quarter of a mile away and the new owner has recently moved in. He is also moaning about the farm noises and the motor cyclists so obviously did not do any research before buying. The 26cc petrol would have been my first choice but to keep the peace and our field I am doing my bit but large electric is not on the agenda. 

• Sad 2