The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

As the weather has finally perked up , Ive been nipping out to do some flying . There is a fair gaggle of Fw190s buzzing about , so I dont feel quite so precious about the prototype . 

I didnt really get why everyone was raving about it so much , as I 'd only had two shakedown flights in the winter , to make sure it had a gentle stall and generally good handling. It was based on a previous 190 so not far from the beaten track . 

Having now flown it to the max in everyway on a sunny day with light to no wind conditions , I can honestly say it is one of the easiest warbirds you could fly . 

It literally flies like a Gangster 63 for those old enough to remember . The objective was an easy to build , no fuss warbird and in this instance , thats what we have . 

The Tempest has had a few shake down flights in bad weather and seems very similar . Interesting to compare the figures for the pair . 

The Fw190 has a span of 52"  weighs 4lb 10oz with a 4s 3300pack , making the wing loading 24.42oz/sq ft .

The Tempest has a span of 55" weighs 5lb 5oz with a 4s 3300 pack  making the wing loading 23oz /sq ft .

Both are now equipped with retracts (somebody had to test them ) . I would guess that retracts add around 7oz, which is included above .

So your wing loading would be around 22oz/sq ft , which is very low . 

That wing loading is much more what you would expect from a low wing sport model than a warbird , so we have done well .

The wing sections are very friendly too , so with even more weight , I dont think there would be a problem .

The 190 is exceptional in its handling and I dont think the Tempest will be far behind . The cranked wing may make the rolls less axial but there again its shape in the air is more dramatic , so there must be a compromise . 

IMG_6966 (1).jpg

IMG_6971 (1).jpg

IMG_6972 (1).jpg

IMG_6973.jpg

• Like 11

They havent got wheel doors , so Its a bit like a lady with no skirt ! 

Im on Holiday for two weeks on Monday so Ron and Eric will be advising. 

When I get back , I will fit doors and I expect Paul Johnson will be getting ready to send out retract packs. 

Anyone wanting the packs could contact him direct with a pm . 

My thoughts on the retracts are this

How good is your runway ? 

If its a good flat , well cut grass strip or concrete then a lot of satisfaction can be had by doing a smooth landing . 

The 190 I was flying yesterday comes in as smooth as silk , but even or long runway has a spring wave effect until its rollered . 

That means you can come in beautifully , skimming the tops of the "waves" but if you touch in a low point , the model can flip onto its back . 

No damage done usually but out of our control .

I think everyone should try them at some point and your chance of success is way better with a foam veneered wing . 

Flight performance is barely affected and you cant get a much more friendly warbird . 

Dont try to put the retract pack together yourself . Remember , Ive flown thousands of flights on this type of model and I know exactly the best compromise . 

Copying the practice of ARTFs is not the answer . (oleos etc and no shock absorbing coil spring ) .

• Like 2

Hi Richard, sounds good. We are fortunate to have a well mown and excellently maintained field at our club so the retracts should not be a problem🙂. Have a good break and I look forwards to the retract sets coming out.

Cheers, Simon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Huh... master goes away and leaves me locked in the basement...

Think yourself lucky, the ‘boys’ are locked in the loo, or did he mean they’ve gone to Looe?

• Haha 1