The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

My understanding is that she currently lives on a canal barge near Newcastle. You might have seen the TV series Wendy Boat Comes in?

The nice thing about the Wendy house bits is that the mouldings lend themselves to that configuration - the wheel mounts are from the joint between the wall tubes and the pitched roof, giving the correct angle to put the wheels in front of the leading edge, whilst the three way right angle joint at the rear is one of the base frame junctions. I found out after about a year that the plastic failed under the strain of being kept plugged in on the curve, so with the replacement joint the dolly is stored with that joint open.

My pal Jim has had success with a minimalist cruciform piano wire dolly to launch a number of models and he definitely had a dolly to launch his BT Sea Hurricane, which is now my BT Sea Hurricane 🙂, so I'll see about getting some piccies of those as well. I was going to retrofit retracts to the Sea Hurricane, but if the dolly works I'll maybe rethink that.

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

My understanding is that she currently lives on a canal barge near Newcastle. You might have seen the TV series Wendy Boat Comes in?

The nice thing about the Wendy house bits is that the mouldings lend themselves to that configuration - the wheel mounts are from the joint between the wall tubes and the pitched roof, giving the correct angle to put the wheels in front of the leading edge, whilst the three way right angle joint at the rear is one of the base frame junctions. I found out after about a year that the plastic failed under the strain of being kept plugged in on the curve, so with the replacement joint the dolly is stored with that joint open.

My pal Jim has had success with a minimalist cruciform piano wire dolly to launch a number of models and he definitely had a dolly to launch his BT Sea Hurricane, which is now my BT Sea Hurricane 🙂, so I'll see about getting some piccies of those as well. I was going to retrofit retracts to the Sea Hurricane, but if the dolly works I'll maybe rethink that.

Yes , well the problem as I see with that Leccy , is that you are making the Dolly ("Barbara") dependent on defunct Wendy Houses . 

Now , as broad as our network is , where are we going to find a street full of , soon to be demolished Wendy Houses ?

Oh aye - you'd have to come up with something more widely applicable if it were to be rolled out for the massed squadrons. Perhaps one of the 3D printing gurus could come up with some form of compatible joints or maybe there is something in one of the DIY shops. I'd caution against going up to the common PVC drainage type of dimensions with 22mm pipes, as that will pile the weight on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Oh aye - you'd have to come up with something more widely applicable if it were to be rolled out for the massed squadrons. Perhaps one of the 3D printing gurus could come up with some form of compatible joints or maybe there is something in one of the DIY shops. I'd caution against going up to the common PVC drainage type of dimensions with 22mm pipes, as that will pile the weight on.

I do a good line in compatible joints, and before you all jump to the wrong conclusion:

IMG_6646.thumb.jpeg.6e6e105732e476077d0e83d0a1e122e3.jpeg

IMG_6645.thumb.jpeg.1457d0482ca7042945a18cad47545b9e.jpeg

IMG_6647.thumb.jpeg.cb4c6665ddcc7c899ffd268165b44d49.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Bring it on.

PS I was assisted by a couple of helpful tossers today launching my Depron F4u. Now on the subject of tarts and the ilk, I do love a good mince pie.

You're allowed. It's that time of year.

Personally at Xmas time I am not a turkey fan. I prefer roast pork with a nice bit of crackling.  😉

• Like 1

So let start on the fuselage . Usual , stuff , glue the doublers onto the two balsa sides . Lay them out in mirror so that you dont make two rights

(they will definitely make a wrong )  There is a little tail plane reinforcement which also incudes the last piece of the fuselage . The tail plane reinforcement goes on the inside like the ply doublers , but the little square balsa piece goes on the outside as the rear extension to the fuselage sides . 

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Edited by RICHARD WILLS

Plenty of clamps and pegs next . 

Dont fix the front ring on yet until the motor mount is on . I offered my motor up with the new plastic cowl front . The ply mount on mine is flush with the top of the fuselage sides and 20mm back from the front . Its easier to mount the motor plate without adding the front ply ring . 

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

No Ron . Nor the sliding "battery coffin " that we used on the P51 . 

This one requires the battery right up front so using a simple cross member gives everyone the option of moving the ballast (Battery) about anywhere between those two big discs . I put a couple of 10mm balsa reinforcements in the corners . 

You can see that the upper fuselage sides are added here . Note the semi circular former that glues to the back of the second big disc . The semi circular former will provide a locating ridge for the gun deck . I wetted the outside of the upper fuslelage sides and they formed a gentle curve . No struggle there , just a few pins . 

The sanwiched formers also provide a locating ridge for the fuz sides . 

IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6321.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I see that you’re going to give it a good going over with Ducksback, should be a nice alternative to tester pots.

You know what its like Ron , once you've painted the fence and the shed , you're on a roll and thinking , "why stop there?" 

If you're all thinking , whats happened to his work shop ? I can tell you what's bloody happened . 27 year old daughter has moved back in bringing a 40 ton truck load of pointless items into my sacred space , THats WHat has B.....dy Happened !

A Boomerang Snowflake is a very real thing , so beware , nobody is safe .

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

You know what its like Ron , once you've painted the fence and the shed , you're on a roll and thinking , "why stop there?" 

If you're all thinking , whats happened to his work shop ? I can tell you what's bloody happened . 27 year old daughter has moved back in bringing a 40 ton truck load of pointless items into my sacred space , THats WHat has B.....dy Happened !

A Boomerang Snowflake is a very real thing , so beware , nobody is safe .

So you gave her your new address!🤔 there’s the mistake right there 🤭😂

3 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Is this kit not looking exactly like your other kits in terms of construction @RICHARD WILLS ? I mean in the style of the pre built up wings ones? 

Well David from 1995 to 2016 all of my designs had foam veneer wings . The Spitfire even started with foam veneer . So its only relatively recently that laser cut wooden built up wings have come into favour . Personally , I am happy with either . The foam wings dont have that lovely click together thing going on , but they are very accurate and extremely tough . Horses for courses really . For regular belly flops , my money would be on foam veneer !

I think the decider is often , how much structure needs to be cut into the foam wings . If its retracts , flaps and lots of cables then you might as well go built up . 

If its a Bomber though , all that rubbish goes in a nacelle , so its foam all the way . 

• Like 3