Learning Jeti

Graham Bowers

Whilst I wait patiently for the delivery of my Jeti I've spent some time reading the instructions that I've downloaded and watching some of Harry's excellent videos.

I'm very much a visual learner and like to see structure and the big picture. When I was learning the Multiplex Profi 4000 some time ago, I found the attached flowchart very helpful.

Has anybody found anything similar for Jeti, please?

4k_flowchart_v1.pdf

1 minute ago, PeterF said:

I have not seen this.

With Jeti having a niche market I watch the RC Groups Jeti thread as that has some experts who contribute including Harry C. There is also a German sire but translation is required.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1693301-Official-Jeti-12-14-16-24-2-4GHz-900MHz-Radios-Telemetry-Device-Integration

Thanks PeterF - it was a long shot. I'll probably make my own - a sort of mind map.

I was alerted to Harry by the vendor, John. I've been chomping my way through his excellent material with the hope of hitting the ground running when it arrives.

I'll take a look at the RCG thread too.

Let us know how you get on - I too looked for something similar having come to Jeti from my Multiplex 3030. However, the number of options in each menu is so much larger with the Jeti system, not being limited by the three line screen of my 3030, that I think any attempt to chart it would be somewhat unwieldy. It might be possible with a series of linked web pages rather than a traditional flow chart though?  Like all modern radios, I do agree that you do need to build up some sort of mental model of how the programming works in order to become fluent with it - at least in those areas that you want to use. I'd wait until you get the transmitter, then go through a few of Harry's videos again, with your transmitter in front of you, and I'm sure you'll soon get your head in tune with the designer's way of thinking.

• Thanks 1

I moved to Jeti before Harry started his excellent channel.

I quickly became comfortable with all the basics but for some of the more obscure stuff I found Jeti USA's videos pretty useful at the time. They tend to be a bit shorter than Harry's & cover specific issues, but you may find them a useful supplement. https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-video.aspx

Graham

Have you had a look at 'Jeti Studio' yet?

https://www.jetimodel.com/support/

Studio includes an emulator in which you can play with setting up models. OK, it is for the DC/DS 24 so will have all the unlocked functions that you don't have, but the basic functionality will be the same as your 12 so you can get used to it and make any mistakes there and not on the real thing. I often use it for experiments.

The only flow chart I recall from the early days of the Jeti Tx is attached - very basic but it is a starting point.

Dick

Studio Emulator.jpg

Block diagram.jpg

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

Let us know how you get on - I too looked for something similar having come to Jeti from my Multiplex 3030. However, the number of options in each menu is so much larger with the Jeti system, not being limited by the three line screen of my 3030, that I think any attempt to chart it would be somewhat unwieldy. It might be possible with a series of linked web pages rather than a traditional flow chart though?  Like all modern radios, I do agree that you do need to build up some sort of mental model of how the programming works in order to become fluent with it - at least in those areas that you want to use. I'd wait until you get the transmitter, then go through a few of Harry's videos again, with your transmitter in front of you, and I'm sure you'll soon get your head in tune with the designer's way of thinking.

I'll see how I go then Trevor. Maybe a mind map is the sort of thing to shoot for. As you say, it's to build up a mental picture of the functionality. For me, it's to both help with learning fluency, and also to have a source of reference on the wall for the less well used functions. On one piece of paper.

1 hour ago, Dickw said:

Graham

Have you had a look at 'Jeti Studio' yet?

https://www.jetimodel.com/support/

Studio includes an emulator in which you can play with setting up models. OK, it is for the DC/DS 24 so will have all the unlocked functions that you don't have, but the basic functionality will be the same as your 12 so you can get used to it and make any mistakes there and not on the real thing. I often use it for experiments.

The only flow chart I recall from the early days of the Jeti Tx is attached - very basic but it is a starting point.

Dick

Thanks Dick. John mentioned Jeti Studio and I did download and install it on this computer, however hadn't got as far as discovering the emulator - which I now have. It looks dead handy.

image.png.d914f01f37df9ba231262a921135b857.png

Looking at that, it maps very closely to Mike Shellim's famous flow diagram for OpenTX, which also applies to EdgeTX too...

OpenTx - Key concepts

That is probably too simple to be useful for what you want to do for your new Jeti @Graham Bowers, but maybe mapping out something like this one for erSKY TX is what you need - jsut posting in case it gives you ideas...

image.thumb.png.2a62c80d357745533291cd5c0708313f.png

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Looking at that, it maps very closely to Mike Shellim's famous flow diagram for OpenTX - the only major difference is that curves can be applied in against inputs and mixers with the open source firmwares (though perhaps that diagram is wrong and that is the case now for Jeti too)...

Interesting, thanks.

5 minutes ago, MattyB said:

NP. I changed my original post slightly as, well, I had celarly not read the Jeti flow accurately  - it is pretty much identical to OpenTX. Ahem... 😳

Yes, I think they were both developed at about the same time and were heavily influenced by the Multiplex 4000.

I am sure there was some cross pollination of ideas 😀

Dick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dickw said:

Yes, I think they were both developed at about the same time and were heavily influenced by the Multiplex 4000.

I am sure there was some cross pollination of ideas 😀

It's well known that the original team behind the 9x open-source firmwares were "deeply inspired" by Multiplex's approach, and whilst there is nothing to indicate they copied any of the code, the concepts are writ large throughout the firmware. These firmwares were the foundation for erSkyTX/OpenTX/EdgeTX, and predate Jeti's TXs by some time - they've been around since the early 2010s at least, probably longer. @Mike Blandfordis the man who will know the dates for sure!

7 minutes ago, MattyB said:

It's well known that the original team behind the 9x open-source firmwares were "deeply inspired" by Multiplex's approach, and whilst there is nothing to indicate they copied any of the code, the concepts are writ large throughout the firmware. These firmwares were the foundation for erSkyTX/OpenTX/EdgeTX, and predate Jeti's TXs by some time - they've been around since the early 2010s at least, probably longer. @Mike Blandfordis the man who will know the dates for sure!

The penny hadn't dropped that Jeti were so late to the party to be honest.

Can't blame the open source competition for benchmarking against Multiplex functionality. I'm not sure where the boundaries of IP lie and have no view, one way or other on IP matters.

It's a shame Multiplex failed to build on what they already knew when they developed the new Profi, but sadly that's all water under the bridge ;-(

6 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Can't blame the open source competition for benchmarking against Multiplex functionality. I'm not sure where the boundaries of IP lie and have no view, one way or other on IP matters.

It's a shame Multiplex failed to build on what they already knew when they developed the new Profi, but sadly that's all water under the bridge ;-(

They couldn’t build on it primarily because the guy who coded it was sadly killed in a car crash. I can’t remember whether the source code was lost or simply unintelligible to anyone else, but either way, it was a dead end for them, so much so that when they went to develop its successor they started from the Royal Evo firmware instead. If they had built some nice hardware for OpenTX at that (pre-Taranis) point they may have been in a really good position in the radio market now rather than a bit per player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattyB said:

They couldn’t build on it primarily because the guy who coded it was sadly killed in a car crash. I can’t remember whether the source code was lost or simply unintelligible to anyone else, but either way, it was a dead end for them, so much so that when they went to develop its successor they started from the Royal Evo firmware instead. If they had built some nice hardware for OpenTX at that (pre-Taranis) point they may have been in a really good position in the radio market now rather than a bit per player.

Well I didn't know that, what a tragedy for him and them. Thanks for explaining.

A leap to open source hardware was probably a leap too far as I get the impression MPX were / are very conservative. Witness how slow they were to adopt 2.4 GHz.

However allowing such important stuff to become so vulnerable isn't exactly best business practice - although I see the world through the lens of a global corporate employee, retired. I do know that  best practice is not as wide spread as one may hope.

But as before, all water under the bridge now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

'm not sure where the boundaries of IP lie

I’ve been there! A ‘rival’ software company released software that was a blatant copy of ours, it looked the same and did the same but trying to prove infringement was next to impossible (and very costly), hence the trade in reverse engineering!

20 hours ago, MattyB said:

It's the old story with software.  A brilliant coder who fails to document what they do either because they can't be bothered or to make themselves indispensable!   Either way, it's a disaster for those who have to pick up the pieces.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

It's the old story with software.  A brilliant coder who fails to document what they do either because they can't be bothered or to make themselves indispensable!   Either way, it's a disaster for those who have to pick up the pieces.

I mostly agree Peter. However in my opinion, it's a management failure if a brilliant coder is allowed to release undocumented code.

• Like 1

Managers seem to have skills, unrelated to the task. I first noticed this as a 15 year old, asked by my headmaster, what I wanted to do in life. 
He was a truly fine teacher of Physics, an upright, if puritan character, who had a odd, but very entertaining sense of humour, who I liked, feared, and respected. A headmaster, defined.

Careers  advisor, nil point. 

1 minute ago, Don Fry said:

Managers seem to have skills, unrelated to the task. I first noticed this as a 15 year old, asked by my headmaster, what I wanted to do in life. 
He was a truly fine teacher of Physics, an upright, if puritan character, who had a odd, but very entertaining sense of humour, who I liked, feared, and respected. A headmaster, defined.

Careers  advisor, nil point. 

Waaay of topic now, however the thread was started by me, has served it's intended purpose and arguably was steered off topic by me ........................

Throughout my career I encountered managers of hugely varying levels of management skill.

In my opinion, it's all down to senior leadership. To quote one of my better managers, "shit runs downhill" 😉

14 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

First half of a cynical quote at the salt face, “ and farts rise”. 

Anyway, back to Jeti. I am still thinking of a transmitter replacement without a total commitment to a brand. 

A module based unit? 4 in 1, ELRS?

Edited by Graham Bowers