CAA Call for Input: Review of UK UAS Regulations Aug 2023

MattyB

Advert

2 hours ago, GaryWebb said:

in the same way you would for driving without a license, insurance, tax ,mot or worse still drink driving

Not really in the same league are they. You do what you feel is best Gary and when the time comes I, and possibly hundreds if not thousands will do what they think best. Each to their own.

• Like 5

I'm very sorry but anyone openly saying they will stick 2 fingers up to whatever rules/laws are passed regarding what we are legally required to do to continue flying legally and legitimately shouldn't be in the hobby and anyone that refused to follow the laws & rules that ensure we do things above board i truly hope get caught and prosecuted in the same way you would for driving without a license, insurance, tax ,mot or worse still drink driving

And I'm gonna order a couple of Spektrum Sky ID units asap so i'm prepared for if and when remote id does come in to force

Why on earth would you do that?🤨

You cannot possibly know whether the device would meet any requirements which might be put in place - half the questions are about whether the same protocols should be put in place, compared to other jurisdictions.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry but anyone openly saying they will stick 2 fingers up to whatever rules/laws are passed regarding what we are legally required to do to continue flying legally and legitimately shouldn't be in the hobby and anyone that refused to follow the laws & rules that ensure we do things above board i truly hope get caught and prosecuted in the same way you would for driving without a license, insurance, tax, mot or worse still drink driving

Sometimes really bad legislation has to be challenged, otherwise the authorities will just carry on going with ever more invasive regsI. f they passed a rule saying you had to wear a luminous bib with “RC Modeller - dangerous” on the front and told you you could only fly in one me of 5 locations in the UK, would you do it?

Actions need to be thought through and proportionate, but I agree with Ron there is a time when wilful disobedience is the only tenable strategy in challenging the erosion of rights. Only when we see their final proposals will we know whether that is the next stage or not. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Why on earth would you do that?🤨

You cannot possibly know whether the device would meet any requirements which might be put in place - half the questions are about whether the same protocols should be put in place, compared to other jurisdictions.

Again as i said above Where I say I will order a couple asap... it translates into as soon as available in the uk

18 minutes ago, MattyB said:

If they passed a rule saying you had to wear a luminous bib with “RC Modeller - dangerous” on the front and told you you could only fly in one me of 5 locations in the UK, would you do it?

I wudda thought that was pretty obvious even for you.... if its set on law as remote id wud be ,, you follow that law or pay the penalty,, dont need half a rocket science degree to work  that one out...lol

1 minute ago, GaryWebb said:

Again as i said above Where I say I will order a couple asap... it translates into as soon as available in the uk

Not in the post that I read and replied to though,  where I naturally took your comment to mean what it said, not your subsequent translation of what you had meant to say.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Not in the post that I read and replied to though,  where I naturally took your comment to mean what it said, not your subsequent translation of what you had meant to say.

Its there as clear as its written

3 hours ago, steve too said:

I would advise against that for two reasons. Firstly, modellers in the US need them now and, secondly, there are national/regional variations on top of the standards so if you buy something now it may not be compatible with whatever the CAA decide.

Where I say I will order a couple asap... it translates into as soon as available in the uk

Edited 2 hours ago by GaryWebb
Edited by GaryWebb
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

Its there as clear as its written

image.thumb.png.3825a4b7487b4ea2cb48355c1f0c2e4a.png

All you have proved there is that you did right a very confusing post that almost everyone here took as meaning you would buy those units immediately.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

From my own personal view on Remote ID... after watching one or two videos on Remote ID and how it works in the US ,, how I think the CAA may play it here in the UK is pretty much as it works in the US...... 

If you fly at a public park/area , on a farmers field with permission or you're own bit of land like Brian PillipsRC on youtube does then Re,ote Id will be needed to be use by the modeller/flier.. Where as if you fly in an FAA recognised area such as an AMA affiliated club site or in our case a CAA/UK equivalent BMFA recognised Club field then Remote ID wont therefore be needed

End of the day whatever the CAA do decide in the end I for one like most i think will follow what the law says we have to do & comply with to continue flying our models in years to come regardless of the cost... It like any hobby... If you want to do a particular hobby then you should always follow ALL rules and laws that that hobby may be governed by and pay the price that hobby costs ,,, If not then find another hobby its that simple

10 minutes ago, MattyB said:

All you have proved there is that you did right a very confusing post that almost everyone here took as meaning you would buy those units immediately.

My apologies attached wrong screen shot .. Now correct that screenshot if you wud like to look again

3 hours ago, steve too said:

I would advise against that for two reasons. Firstly, modellers in the US need them now and, secondly, there are national/regional variations on top of the standards so if you buy something now it may not be compatible with whatever the CAA decide.

Where I say I will order a couple asap... it translates into as soon as available in the uk

Edited 2 hours ago by GaryWebb
Edited by GaryWebb

No need for any screenshot, I quoted the post that I replied to, which clearly states that you would buy a couple of Spektrum Sky ID units asap so that you would be prepared for if and when remote ID comes into force.

Notwithstanding your subsequent translation of what you had actually meant to post, the acronym ASAP, taken at face value means as soon as possible, simple as that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

By the time you need to buy anything, you'll have more choice than Spektrum.............

Yes thats true other options may well be available . but other than servos all my TX & RX gear is Spekturm therefore I will only connect genuine Spektrum addon units to my TX & RX's

3 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

No need for any screenshot, I quoted the post that I replied to, which clearly states that you would buy a couple of Spektrum Sky ID units asap so that you would be prepared for if and when remote ID comes into force.

Notwithstanding your subsequent translation of what you had actually meant to post, the acronym ASAP, taken at face value means as soon as possible, simple as that.

Well as they are not available in the uk as yet as far as I know ,, when they are available in the uk that wud be asap wudnt it??? .. Jeez I aint that dumb for a 50 yr old well experienced RC Flier.........LOL

Edited by GaryWebb

I know many will agree or disagree but I genuinely now feel this thread is now starting to border on scaremongering.....

Yes we know there is a potential law change/requirement in the hobby which we will if its passed be legally bound to comply with ,, Noone at this time can say whether or not it will happen but what ever happens all we can do is way till it happens if at all then argue the toss so to speak rather than speculating and trying to foretell what may or may never happen and if things like Remote Id do become a legal requirement then there are 2 simple choices

Comply & obey said law.. or walk away other wise run the risk of prosecution for breaking the law refusing to fit such units to ur models 

I have always all my RC flying life , operated my models , Drones planes helis gliders etc... within in what is legally require as set out in law not what i think is right or believe and i will continue to do so including whatever my 2 clubs set out what is permittable or not ,, they only way I will loose the privelage of being in this hobby is by not following what is required of me 

Someone mentions in a post above above bad legislation and infringing on our rights...... RC Flying is not a right is a hobby and a privelage to be allowed to share an already very busy airspace and please forgive me here... but its the stick your 2 fingers up and the law and rules attitudes of so many people why we have the regulation we do now and the only true thing that will ruin the hobby for so many people is those like minded ignorant ones who say don't follow the laws & rules

Please do forgive my outright bluntness in the above written but you are all moaning and winning like a bunch of school children and if my view offends anyone I apologise as that was not my intention

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GaryWebb said:

but its the stick your 2 fingers up and the law and rules attitudes of so many people why we have the regulation we do now and the only true thing that will ruin the hobby for so many people is those like minded ignorant ones who say don't follow the laws & rules

Cobblers, read more about the potential lucrative financial aspect of the airspace we fly in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Don't agree that this thread is bordering on scaremongering, compared to some previous threads on this long drawn out saga, it's in danger of being one of the best imo.

I’m with you there John, bringing these things to light serves to educate even if it does polarise opinion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GaryWebb said:

Someone mentions in a post above above bad legislation and infringing on our rights...... RC Flying is not a right is a hobby and a privelage to be allowed to share an already very busy airspace and please forgive me here... but its the stick your 2 fingers up and the law and rules attitudes of so many people why we have the regulation we do now and the only true thing that will ruin the hobby for so many people is those like minded ignorant ones who say don't follow the laws & rules

Ok, if you are going to bluntly “correct” all us “whingers” , I’ll repay the complement… 😉

Your post portrays a complete lack of understanding of how we actually got to this point. It shows you have lapped up the “it’s all about safety” narrative that the CAA and UK Gov are happy for pilots who couldn’t be bothered to read the many docs released on the topic since ~2015 to infer, when it’s always actually been about the integration of commercial and military UAS into the low level airspace for tax £££s and jobs.

I should probably insert links to the likes of the 2015 Riga declaration and the BMFA webinar (as I’ve done many times before) where this is all explained. I’m not going to bother though, as you wouldn’t read or watch them given they don’t suit the narrative you’ve decided on. Instead I’ll wish you well with your sheep-like following of whatever legislation is put on the statute book next. Thankfully not everyone in this hobby will be so compliant if the CAA do chose to completely over reach in their efforts to support commercial interests. 

Ps - I also feel very safe now that I can be 100% certain you have never broken the speed limit or parked illegally either… That is correct, yes? 🧐

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Ps - I also feel very safe now that I can be 100% certain you have never broken the speed limit or parked illegally either…🧐

You wud be correct which that comes from many years as a professional driver of class 2 HGV, Bus & Coach which all that was done on tachographs ,, as for the illegal parking side of you comment unfortunately my Blue Badge isnt a free pass to just pull up and park anywhere I choose as such breach wud see the Blue Badge taken away for improper use.. and with reference to your  sheep like following view of me .. am I so wrong for ensuring I flying my models not only safely but legally in line with what the law requires .. as I also mentioned in an earlier post im not inretested in the politics of it all I'm an rc flier not a politician

Edited by GaryWebb

So out of interest, do you also believe Rosa Parks was wrong not to give up her bus seat in Alabama in 1955? What about the suffragettes; should they have stick to housekeeping and family making for their husbands rather than targeting the vote? And presumably all low income families should have paid the poll tax unquestioningly, even if it did put them into bankruptcy? 

It thankfully doesn’t happen too often these days in the UK, but sometimes truly awful legislation gets put in place and the authorities refuse to change direction despite the wishes of the populace. In that situation only measured, organised public protest and civil disobedience is likely to effect change. Hopefully it will not be necessary in this case, but taking it entirely off the table would be shortsighted at this point.

Edited by MattyB