Builder's Insulation Foam

Andy Stephenson

I'm having some alterations done to my house and the builders very kindly skipped some reasonable sized pieces of insulation foam, which didn't stay in there for long.

I'm guessing from the colour it's polyurethane.  I tried hot-wire cutting some and the finish is really smooth compared with EPS foam. Given what I hear about the fumes given off when cutting this stuff, I wore a carbon sprayer's mask. I worked out the density is 1.87Lb/Ft^3 which may be more than other foam types used for the hobby but it seems much stronger.

Has anyone else had experience of this material and what sort of finish/covering was used. I may try cutting some wings and applying a single layer of light-weight glass/epoxy.

IMG_20230826_105137751.jpg

IMG_20230826_105042166.jpg

Edited by Andy Stephenson

It's great material for working with,  I cut it with an old bread knife or coping saw. It sands to a good finish but easily dings. Once covered in brown paper it is light and strong, the nacelles on my foamboard 110 and Whirlwind are made with it. Covering with glass cloth would be better but after over 250 flights the 110 is still good 

I've used it for it's intended purpose, insulating my lipo storage box, cutting very easily with a pruning saw. I assessed the surface and thought it was just too soft and weak for airframe use, since it dents so easily with just the mildest fingernail pressure. I'll be interested to see if others are able to make use of it for airframes.

4 hours ago, PatMc said:

Link to Safety Data sheet for Enertherm.

Looks like you would be best to wear a mask when sanding as well as HW cutting

Any surface coating which may contain glass fibre is easily peeled off before use as a modelling material. This seems the only health hazard the safety data sheet is concerned with when working with the material, other than cutting dust which has an actual safe level which isn't zero. When hot-wire cutting, it would come under fire fighting measures, it seems strongly advisable to wear a chemical filter mask, which I do whatever foam I'm cutting, also with good ventilation if not outside.

15 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

If this stuff isn't affected by solvents, I may even try doping on some tissue or nylon.

I have a feeling it is dissolved by dope or acetone. When glassing, epoxy resin/glass is OK  but polyester resin/glass will dissolve it.

I use brown paper and thinned PVA but add thin carbon fibre strips let into  the foam as spars. The brown paper shrinks slightly as it dries providing a good surface finish for painting. I cover both sides ( top and bottom) in one session to avoid warping.

5 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

I have a feeling it is dissolved by dope or acetone. When glassing, epoxy resin/glass is OK  but polyester resin/glass will dissolve it.

I use brown paper and thinned PVA but add thin carbon fibre strips let into  the foam as spars. The brown paper shrinks slightly as it dries providing a good surface finish for painting. I cover both sides ( top and bottom) in one session to avoid warping.

The datasheet it says the core material is extruded polystyrene. As we know, this won't take solvents so epoxy/glass or water-based finishes it must be.

Further investigation reveals that the particular material I have is polyisocyanurate foam which means to me that it's a derivative of polyurethane which I suspected in the first place. After having done various solvent tests such as cellulose thinners, cyno and nitro fuel none of which had any effect on the foam at all, this means it has more finishing options.

https://products.enertherm.eu/products/download/18/en/I

• Like 2