"Fake BMFA email" ?....FALSE ALARM.

Andy Stephenson

I just received this email purporting to be from the BMFA

On checking the link to the BFMA Just Go portal what comes up is nothing like their web address, this is a dead give-away.

DO NOT CLICK ON IT!!!

Good Morning, I hope this email finds you well.

We are making some improvements to our communication systems so that we can target communication geographically by county. This is in important improvement in our communications and will enable us to email important information that needs to  only be sent to those based on their geographic location. Occasional notices about No Fly zones etc.

You are receiving this email because either you do not have a county showing on your membership profile, or the county that shows does not match those in the County drop down list.

We would very much appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to log in to your membership profile at https://bmfa.justgo.com and update the county in the address details section of your profile.

To do this, once logged in, click on 'My Profile' from the green menu across the top, then click the 'Update Details' button as shown in the image below.

Then in the county section of the address click on the magnifying glass to open the list of counties, see below.

Finally select your county from the list available.

Remember to press save after selecting the county.

Many thanks in advance for your attention to this, it is very much appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Andy Symons

BMFA Club Support and Online Administrator

Tel:   0116 2440028

email:  [email protected]

The Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers Limited T/A The British Model Flying Association

A company limited by guarantee.  Registered in England Number 457067
Registered office Chacksfield House, 31 St Andrew's Road, Leicester, LE2 8RE

25 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Andy, no other bmfa emails today, just the Wales one probably only sent to effected members...

That just go based one sent to email addresses or just to boxes on just go.

I do not visit just go often.

It was only sent to those where the county was either missing or not in the drop down list of counties which we will be using to target emails geographically.

11 hours ago, Phil Green said:

I had the email too so I've just updated mine to 'West Yorkshire', 

it had been set to "W Yorkshire"  which could easily have been misread as 'Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely'  😁 😁 😁

Mine was the same, the thought of being misread as Lancashire 😁 

We are making some improvements to our communication systems so that we can target communication geographically by county. This is in important improvement in our communications and will enable us to email important information that needs to  only be sent to those based on their geographic location. Occasional notices about No Fly zones etc.

Is there going to be an opt out for this? Because I doubt if there is any "important information" that the BMFA will send though this route that I will not be already getting. If not I will be leaving my county as is.

• Haha 2

I must congratulate myself on resisting the temptation and instead just joining Matty with a laugh...

@ANDY S - out of curiosity I checked my own County listing (which is correct), but there are many outdated options still available.  So if you were to target a mailshot to all those who had correctly selected their up-to-date county name, then anyone who had chosen one of the 'older' options would miss out, despite having selected a supposedly 'legitimate' county from your database.  Sounds like the latter could do with a good edit...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike T said:

I must congratulate myself on resisting the temptation and instead just joining Matty with a laugh...

@ANDY S - out of curiosity I checked my own County listing (which is correct), but there are many outdated options still available.  So if you were to target a mailshot to all those who had correctly selected their up-to-date county name, then anyone who had chosen one of the 'older' options would miss out, despite having selected a supposedly 'legitimate' county from your database.  Sounds like the latter could do with a good edit...

Indeed, however there will be many membership records associated with those out of date county names, mainly from long time members and if we remove them each record will need to be adjusted, will happen over time, but not an issue for this purpose, as for example, Humberside and East Yorkshire are still the same bit of land so for anything in those areas will be sent to both. What is important is that the county in your profile is one selected from the list and not either, blank or showing none etc.

• Like 1