BMFA Classifieds

I'm afraid, Martin, that our language has been invaded by Americanisms and that is just one example.  "Visit with you", "right" said at the end of every sentence, and so on and so forth.  Punctuation, spelling and grammar also appear to be in rapid decline although that seems to be laid at the door of the text message where brevity and the use of short forms reign unchallenged, Gr8, for example.

In fairness it is not just Americans.

A lot of it is due to the influx of migrants over the last 100 years as well as "evolution".

If you went back in England 500 years, you would probably have difficulty understanding the language that was spoken back then (never mind the writing !).

1 minute ago, kevin b said:

In fairness it is not just Americans.

A lot of it is due to the influx of migrants over the last 100 years as well as "evolution".

If you went back in England 500 years, you would probably have difficulty understanding the language that was spoken back then (never mind the writing !).

Celts, Norsemen, Romans, Indians, Arabs, Saxons etc etc ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I know it's getting bad when everyone splits infinitives and ends sentences with prepositions.  And as for starting sentences with conjunctions ... words fail me!

But I'm sure you'll soon get over it However if you don't, don't worry.

• Like 3

Well, if you don't have any rules for spoken and written English there would be plenty of scope to be misunderstood.  I appreciate that not everybody cares about infinitives and whether they are split or not.  I would just observe that there are also a lot of folk you confuse singular with plural construction such as "there's lots of things to talk about".  Just imagine if we managed to get tenses mixed up.  I went out tomorrow and flew my model.  Of course, language always evolves and new ways of speaking which start off as slang or something someone says that sounds good to someone else and it is then repeated.  Perhaps "My bad" and an example of that.  I do wish though that we could see the demise of "Me and the wife went out to dinner".  We wouldn't say "Me went out to dinner" would we?

Where do you draw the line?   

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed English and its structure and regretted having to drop English Literature at 14 because I opted for the science subjects at school.  I particularly liked the structure of the language which is, perhaps, why I enjoyed the strict grammar needed to write what software I had to write in later life.

My pet peeves are, gerunds, and the difference between 'less' and 'fewer'  for instance.  Oddly enough, split infinitives aren't always awkward but often are and sentences that end in prepositions are sometimes fine but often an ugly sentence ends in a preposition.  I'm being finicky, I know, but I've edited/proofed some fiction for people so it's expected 🙂  English is a beautiful and flexible language and it's a shame if it's treated with a lack of respect.  It's OK to break the rules sometimes but it works better if you have some idea of the rules before you do.

Nothing to do with toy aeroplanes (not airplanes!), of course, so the mods can delete if they so wish.

• Like 1