Advice on selling a collection of engines

Sussex

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on selling my late father's collection of aircraft / engines.

Everything was put into storage around 30 years ago but since my mother has just moved house we've decided to move everything on to somebody who will have use for it.

Is ebay the best place to sell, or would it be worth attending an event to do so?

I'm assuming there's a market for the engines but would there be a market for the planes considering how old they are?

These are the engines, all boxed with accessories and were working before storage but now gungy after 30 years

OS NSU Wankel 1-49
Oliver Tiger 2.5cc MkIV
drive washer 45808000
Magnum GP ABC 123
OS Max FS-20
paw 19-ds-3
Webra t4-40
OS FS 40
OS max 40 sf
OS max 61 sf
super tigre 61
Cox 15
K&B 65 RC
OS FS 60
Super tigre s2000

Should I consider just selling as a job lot or are there any specific ones that should go to auction?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Advert

There are some desirable engines there which should find a ready market. I'd suggest entering them in a future online BMFA auction which is held in the National Centre and has a world-wide coverage. 

https://nationalcentre.bmfa.org/catalogues

You may be too late for the next auction on the 27/28th of this month, but get in touch with Manny at the National Centre who will be able to give you good guidance. 

As for the models , these are likely to have very little value given their age. You may want to get in touch with a local Club  https://bmfa.justgo.com/clubFinder.html who may be able to give you a better idea if they can view them. There are also some traders who will purchase collections, eg https://www.radiocontrolledmodels.co.uk/about-us

• Like 1

Many of the engines listed are fairly unremarkable and/or do not really have much appeal in the modern market. Some however are rarer/more desirable and may fetch a reasonable price if auctioned. 

You will however loose out if selling through ebay due its extremely high fees so you be be better off selling here or through the BMFA website. You do need a BMFA membership to sell through them though.

Given the mix of high and low value engines i would sell them individually on the basis that a high value/collectable engine with a low value engine as a job lot will sell for the price of the higher value item in either case, so you might as well sell the lower value engine on its own even if it sells relatively cheaply. 

Do you have any prices in mind for each engine? Photo's of each will also be helpful for any potential bidders here. 

EDIT: missed the fact that there are also airframes for sale. Again i would add photos of those and your general location as shipping airframes is a non starter really. As John points out there are people who will buy up a job lot but they will bid low as they need to sell on for profit. SO what you save on hassle you may loose in final value. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 1

thanks both for your responses, out of interest - are these the most desirable ones? I've done some basic searching of past auction results to try and get an idea of value

OS NSU Wankel 1-49
Oliver Tiger 2.5cc MkIV
OS Max FS-20
Webra t4-40

There's an 80% off fees promo on eBay at the moment which is why i was considering that route. I will get in contact with the National Centre and some traders to see what I could do there. My local club is East Grinstead so might see if I can pop in there too.

I sold a variety of old engines with some surprises regarding prices obtained on eBay a year or two ago. It's best to use the advanced search facility first to see what similar items have sold for, so you know where to set the prices. I guess the BMFA classifieds are OK too, but I suspect eBay has a larger potential customer base.

16 minutes ago, Sussex said:

thanks both for your responses, out of interest - are these the most desirable ones? I've done some basic searching of past auction results to try and get an idea of value

OS NSU Wankel 1-49
Oliver Tiger 2.5cc MkIV
OS Max FS-20
Webra t4-40

There's an 80% off fees promo on eBay at the moment which is why i was considering that route. I will get in contact with the National Centre and some traders to see what I could do there. My local club is East Grinstead so might see if I can pop in there too.

I would say they are the most likely to turn in a few quid with wankel, Tiger, Webra and OS being the most likely order of pricing high to low. Im musing the OS20 myself actually. 

With ebay, its the trifecta of fee's that kill it. Listing fee, final value fee (13%!!) and then paypal. If you have a discount code thingo then fair enough, it might be a little more worth it, but i have also given up on ebay as their returns policy allows someone (in my case) to buy my laptop, break the screen by treading on it, and then return it for a full refund which ebay forcefully take from your bank account without any hesitation. To say i was not amused is an understatement 

Hi Sussex,

Might you have a picture of the Cox 15 please ?

May I ask, might there be an unstarted precedent hi boy MK1 kit ?

Do your research on eBay to get some sort of idea how much the engines may be worth. If they have been in storage for years they may be stuck solid which will decrease Thier value, a buyer beware sort of sale...

There is a difference between anyone buying engines to use or to collect.

For example the Cox15 may not have much use to day but were innovative and sought after to use at the time. Cox ceased production in 2006 so such engines in good condition are now collectable but it is a limited market.

It will come down to how much you want to persevere to ensure at least some of your Dads engines go to a good home.😉

I had the same problem with my Dads models and tools although there were only two model aero engines. I "chickened out" of the decision and kept everything but one model which I donated to the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers (SMEE) of which he was a life long member.

33 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Sussex,

Might you have a picture of the Cox 15 please ?

May I ask, might there be an unstarted precedent hi boy MK1 kit ?

Do your research on eBay to get some sort of idea how much the engines may be worth. If they have been in storage for years they may be stuck solid which will decrease Thier value, a buyer beware sort of sale...

PXL_20231009_082343085.jpg

PXL_20231009_082340189.jpg

PXL_20231009_082255457.jpg

PXL_20231009_082402402.jpg

PXL_20231009_082317239.jpg

PXL_20231009_082259581.jpg

There is an unstarted kit somewhere let me see which one it is

Edited by Sussex
added last line

That Cox 15, interested but probably worth way beyond my budget.

It's a control line engine really, Barton model flying club...

Research Cox engine forum, also exmodelengines, Cox international and mecoa....

Will wait to see if you turn up a hiboy kit.

Anything else Cox, like plastic control line planes, cars etc..

1 minute ago, Rich Griff said:

That Cox 15, interested but probably worth way beyond my budget.

It's a control line engine really, Barton model flying club...

Research Cox engine forum, also exmodelengines, Cox international and mecoa....

Will wait to see if you turn up a hiboy kit.

Anything else Cox, like plastic control line planes, cars etc..

Thanks for the tips, didn't realise the Cox 15 is a valuable one. The kit is a Chipmunk I'm afraid..

Cox 15 conquest iirc ?

If I bought it it would be going in a control line plane, rather than a shelf. It would probably be relatively easy to convert to RC.....

A chipmunk is on my "to make " list, may I ask what kit please ?

Would make one 8aef operating from raf shawberry...

5 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Cox 15 conquest iirc ?

If I bought it it would be going in a control line plane, rather than a shelf. It would probably be relatively easy to convert to RC.....

A chipmunk is on my "to make " list, may I ask what kit please ?

Would make one 8aef operating from raf shawberry...

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-09 at 13.12.01.jpeg

I think ebay is the best place to achieve a fair price, research their value by searching for similar on ebay beforehand, photo them carefully and give a clear description and start auction price at a realistic reserve price and you will sell them all. The wankels go for £500 and up, the remainder will be more modest prices but im guessing you will clear £1000, just be patient and put the effort in, good luck

My take, just an opinion, having either bought or sold a number the engines on your list;

The Wankel is a gold mine.

Still quite collectable but worth a bit less are:

Oliver Tiger

Webra T4-40

I'd be tempted to do a fixed price for them, timeframe of one auction might not get them to the target audience, do a survey of sold prices for these first.

Will sell easy for reasonable money:

OS FS 20

OS FS 40

OS FS 60

Medium money, still easy sale:

Paw 19

OS 40 SF

OS 61 SF 

buttons / good luck / giveaway:

KB 65

tigre s2000

magnum

I've no idea how an auction for the cox 15 would go.

Easily >£1k in your sale though. 

Very useful guide, thanks. WIll set starting bids appropriately and do max auction time of 10 days, longer than that and I fear they might go back into the loft for another few decades!

It's fascinating seeing what makes them valuable, when I opened the box I assumed the biggie (tigre s2000) would be worth the most - shows what I know.. The Wankel did intrigue me, being a petrolhead I knew they put them in Mazdas but not in airplanes!

Hopefully some of them will see some new life, the money will be going toward a hobby we did both share (Clay shooting).

Simon, all good advice above, the Cox will be about £20

Schedule your sales for after 7pm, as maximum viewing time, schedule is FREE

Also untick " Worldwide " as it defaults Worldwide and for me has been a nightmare of timewasters.

Also, don't finish the end of sale Friday or Saturday Night, as people's seldom sit on ebay at those times.

Get boxes, wrapping, and tape ready, as those motors will sell, and boxing up is a toil.

9 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I think Nigel's value table is pretty on the money. 

Could you send me photos of the FS20 and FS40? I might know of homes for both. 

FS40 - listing already up but no bids yet so could take down

PXL_20231009_081610773.jpg

PXL_20231009_081639795.jpg

PXL_20231009_081630053.jpg

PXL_20231009_081607541.jpg

PXL_20231009_081601348.jpg

PXL_20231009_081547195.jpg

PXL_20231009_081542569.jpg

PXL_20231009_081537839.jpg

PXL_20231009_081534789.jpg

PXL_20231009_081622677.jpg

Edited by Sussex