Hawker Tempest airworthy again

Jon H

12 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

One close to being airworthy in Canada too I believe.

I'm hopeful one will be at Flying Legends next year......

I think there is another somewhere too...NZ maybe? I am sure there were 3 MkII's on the go but this one is the only one with the correct engine. 

In any case, its a monster of thing. The longer wing vs the sea fury is very apparent. 

8 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Lovely - but what I'd love to see - and more importantly hear - is a Sabre engined MkV.  I may have to make do with the Tiffie that's being restored with a Sabre though!

7 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

I think that it is the availability of spares is the issue with Centaurs today.

Apparently Merlin engines and parts are quite abundant. This includes new old stock engines still inhibited since manufacture and never run a day in their lives. Less prolific engines are a problem though. 

The Typhoon restoration mob in Canada have been very quiet about their engine plans, but they have two partial sabre engines (one crashed one cutaway) and i think their plan is to just build a new engine from scratch. This makes total sense to me given modern materials and processes are so much better. If they can do it why not make 2...or 3, or 10...Kermit Weeks has a MkV Tempest airframe and 2 original Sabres. The group who just fixed up the MkII here have a MkV in storage too. It could be done.

As i have said before, i think it is getting to the point where the regulators need to have a chat and authorise the manufacture of new engines/engine parts for these aircraft. Most warbird accidents these days are down to engine failure, often at low altitude due to their airshow flying nature, so it has to be a bonus for safety to have a newly manufactured engine fitted made with modern materials and processes.

I know some will cry about provenance, but with very few exceptions most warbirds flying today are more or less complete new builds with a name tag riveted to them at the end anyway. 

And as Martin says, i want to see/hear a Sabre engine flying about the place. I dont care if its an original one or a new one. Its still a sabre and i still want it. 

12 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Apparently Merlin engines and parts are quite abundant. This includes new old stock engines still inhibited since manufacture and never run a day in their lives. Less prolific engines are a problem though. 

The Typhoon restoration mob in Canada have been very quiet about their engine plans, but they have two partial sabre engines (one crashed one cutaway) and i think their plan is to just build a new engine from scratch. This makes total sense to me given modern materials and processes are so much better. If they can do it why not make 2...or 3, or 10...Kermit Weeks has a MkV Tempest airframe and 2 original Sabres. The group who just fixed up the MkII here have a MkV in storage too. It could be done.

As i have said before, i think it is getting to the point where the regulators need to have a chat and authorise the manufacture of new engines/engine parts for these aircraft. Most warbird accidents these days are down to engine failure, often at low altitude due to their airshow flying nature, so it has to be a bonus for safety to have a newly manufactured engine fitted made with modern materials and processes.

I know some will cry about provenance, but with very few exceptions most warbirds flying today are more or less complete new builds with a name tag riveted to them at the end anyway. 

And as Martin says, i want to see/hear a Sabre engine flying about the place. I dont care if its an original one or a new one. Its still a sabre and i still want it. 

The Typhoon RB396 project has a zero hours crated Napier Sabre engine https://hawkertyphoon.com/gallery/rebuild

• Like 1