Gastroscopy experiences

Tim Kearsley

In three weeks' time I have to have a gastroscopy, to follow up on a problem with acid reflux.  Being a confirmed coward, I'm not looking forward to this!  So just wondering if anyone has had the procedure and how awful was it?  Don't sugar-coat it, I can take it!  I'd rather know what to expect.

Thanks.

Morning,Tim. I had one a couple of years ago when a scan showed “something“ at the base of my oesophagus. I have no tolerance at all of anything touching my throat, those Covid swab things were a nightmare, but I received copious doses of a spray sedative orally prior to the procedure. It was uncomfortable, honestly nothing more, but that was drowned when the technician said “ oh, that’s just a bit of inflammation, nothing cancerous. Omeprazole will sort you out” I could have hugged him.

See you at Buscotts soon.

David

Had one about 10 yrs ago. Iron levels in blood were zero and as mother died of oesophageal cancer ,feared the worst. Had something in vein which did nothing as far as I was concerned! Think poking my eyes out with hot needle would have been preferable 😂😂😱😱🥰Doc got into my stomach to find gastritis and rolling hiatus hernia. Omaprazole prescribed. Best of luck. Colin

Hi Tim, I had one about 1-2 yrs ago. They dont knock you out but apply a sedative so that you are pretty far away. If you show signs of discomfort they have a spray that is applied.I am like you and would rather be out of it completly. My advise , dont worry it is soon over, and remember someone thinks you need it.

Bas

I have had 3 the first wasn't very pleasant, more fear than anything, they sprayed my throat with a sedative I was surprised at how far the camera went down, I watched it all on the screen, the other two were a walk in the park, keep calm.

I have also been on Omeprazole since, mine problem is also acid reflux, so  20mg in the morning.

I've had 3. The first two were as described above (strongly recommend having the sedative when offered) but the third earlier this year was a surprise. I arrived knowing what to expect but was then told that they don't do sedatives any more as the new camera is so thin they feed it up your nose and then down your throat. Initially a bit (a lot) concerned I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too uncomfortable. You sit upright and can see everything (if you wish) on the big screen. A bit of manoeuvring to find which nostril is easiest through the forest of nose hair, then a tickle at the back of your throat, big swallow and it's in.

They pump air in to inflate your stomach so they can see better so there's a bit of burping, but it's fascinating to see the inside of your stomach.

The camera is so manoeuvrable that it can turn back 180 deg to see the sphincter where it enters.

Nothing to worry about with either type - a bit of discomfort but not painful.

Thank you chaps, all of you, for those replies.  I guess it's the contemplation of the unknown which is worse.  As I said, I'm a bit of a coward - I dread the dentist, even though I've never yet had a bad experience.  In this case it's not helped by my partner, who had a gastroscopy several years ago and had a bad experience.  But she suffers badly with a gagging reflex.  A hiatus hernia was the diagnosis in her case. 

I'll let you know how I got on in three weeks' time!

I had the camera down my throat into my stomach twice.  The last time was about 7 years ago. I asked for a sedative but they refused due to me being asthmatic was the reason they gave.  Just try and stay calm and swallow each time they push the camera further down.  It will be over before you know it.  I had it done because of a suspicion of stomach ulcers,  but all clear.  I like you also, have a great fear of hospitals, but try and stay calm and you will be fine.  I wish you all the best and everything will be OK.