A Depressing Discovery. Brian Taylor North American AT6 Harvard.

David Davis

It must have been at least ten years ago when I bought a Brian Taylor AT6 from an old boy in Somerset. It was beautifully built and I must admit that I have been too scared to fly it ever since. In 2015 I retired to rural France and two years later bought the house in which I now reside. Having had more opportunity to fly in the warmer climate with lighter winds my landings have improved and my thoughts turned to getting the Harvard into the air, or selling it or even hanging it up from the living room ceiling. I have never flown a model with a retracting undercarriage before.

My house has two garages. One is located in the cellar below the house and the other is a free standing structure in the garden. All of my models are stored in the cellar except for the Harvard which was well wrapped in bubblewrap in the garden garage which also houses my garden tools. On Friday 27th October I went to pick up the model. I noticed that the model's wing was on the floor. When I removed the bubblewrap it was obvious that rodents had eaten much of the wing, probably loirs which are small rodents which are a protected species here in France. If you can imagine a grey squirrel about 1/3 as big, that's what a loir looks like.

I hope others can benefit from my self-inflicted misfortune. The fuselage is ok.

Brian Taylor Harvard (1).JPG

Brian Taylor Harvard (2).JPG

Brian Taylor Harvard (3).JPG

Brian Taylor Harvard (4).JPG

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

Shame to see it like that David but as others have said it is repairable.

Sarik has the plans available.

Oh I have the plans but I also need to finish the Galaxy Models Mystic, repair the club trainer, repair the Guidato's wing, (the dog jumped on that,) finish the Flying Flea stated by my late best friend over twenty years ago and recover the DSM Aerostar. Then I'll be able to repair the Harvard's wing.

Annoying, but I can officially tell you it is less so than living for a few weeks with a mouse that the cat brought in... This monster took up residence underneath our kitchen cabinets, then ran all over the place nibbling cereal and toast crumbs until I eventually snaffled him with nutella and Aldi fake Kinder bars!

No photo description available.

I made this Bristol Bulldog from the Dennis Bryant plan in the 1980s the engine was a lot of work especially the exhausts, no 3d printing or laser cutting then. After a successful summer flying it I laid it up for the winter taking the lower wing off to remove the battery and rx storing it nose down in the shed. I went to get it out the following year and picking it up by the lower wing seat I was stung several times, I dropped it as a swarm of wasps flew out, I  grabbed some wasp killer and went back to the shed and sprayed them eventually getting rid of them. When I looked at the plane it was a crumpled heap, the wasps had chewed the balsa and formed a nest with it.  The  upper wing and dummy engine were badly damaged when I dropped it. I hadn't the heart to build a new fuselage so it was scrapped. I  would like to build another but  as Sarik don't do a kit for this one I Don't feel like cutting all of those parts out again. 

20231030_143345.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3