U-POL P88 grey nitocellulose high build primer

MikeQ

Hi

Anyone know if there is a counterpart to U-POL P88 in white as opposed to grey.

Doesn’t look like P88 comes in white itself.

In fact I’m really looking for a white nitro cellulose finishing primer, as opposed to high build.

What you would use as a final primer before base coat colours.

White being preferable.

Same as the different primers from Halfords > Yellow, Grey the White primers.

cheers

mike

95EFE37C-1D3B-468F-81D4-B13870D9B1BB.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ

Advert

Perhaps something like this...

hmg tin photo

https://www.hmgpaint.com/products/all-products/primer/26/cellulose-aps-primer

Available in white (code APS2). Several sellers on ebay have it, around £27 delivered for a litre.

Or try your local car paint supplier. Cellulose is still available for classic car restoration purposes, though not all suppliers have it.

Brian.

10 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Jon, that is N/C hardly going forward, surely water based is going forward.( Just an observation) I may have not understood your interaction correctly

Jon . Maybe you are just putting forward and alternative.Sorry if thats so.

Bas

Edited by Basil

Speak to a car paint factors they should be able to help . Many paint finishes specify different coloured primers to get the required finish and white is often used for bright  reds ,yellows and so e metallics. Many of the high build prmers these days are 2k so not an option fir many . All the 1k high build primers i used over the years were either grey or yellow often refered to as spray putty. Normal white cellulose primer is readily available but is mostly a light primer with little or no filling properties. 

Water based paints are , as far as i know for finishing and not high build . Correct me if you know othewise. They are brilliant for fading in repairs but have very low build and still have to be finished / protected by a clear laquer usually 2k.

The high build primer i currently use is a very light biege and is 2k . Beware if you try 2k as it uses isocyanates in hardener with associated health and safety issues paint factors can advise. 

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Hello Jon

Your missing the point 😀.  Its white I’m after.  Already have grey.

@Basil, not a big fan of water based anything really.  Very rarely works as well as products full of toxins😀

Plus water and balsa don’t mix well in my experience.

Essentially, wihout going down he 2K primer route I was just after a white equivalent of P88.  Fed up of the expensive Halfords white rattle can which although very good, is getting pricey.  Grey is fine for the initial priming/filling but some colours like Oracolor Yellow (or just about any yellow) cover better over white.

9C2996C8-4391-431B-A5F1-347C8D15B6E4.jpeg

Hi Jon

think we hit send at same time.  Yeah, i don’t really want to go down the 2K primer route as my understanding is they are pretty nasty.  Worse than 2K paints so I’m told.

I mainly use P88 grey for the high build, then Halfords white for the final prep.  Paints are usually Oracolor or Klasskote with their OEM specific clears over the top.

I was in touch with KlassKote and Oracolor makers and they both said their 2K paints have no isocryolates in them.  Still use in an open door garage with ABEK1P3 mask and all that.

Lol, lot of bother for a profile control line model 🤣

Hello chaps

back to low volume pricey rattle cans then.

The advantage of the tin of P88 is its a big 5L tin and I can thin and paint/spray as needed.

works out a lot cheaper than rattle cans of Halfords yellow/grey/white.

was looking for same same as the P88 but in white.

I can live with he “UPOL P88 high build grey / Halfords white finishing primer” combo.  Just thought It would be worth exploring if a white nitro based finishing primer was available in a ‘big tin’.

Don’t think it is based on various threads and calls to body shops.

nee luck 😀

Edited by MikeQ

Ideally I’d love to get into butyrate dope finishes as they look fantastic and apart from the polishing and sanding look easy to apply.

Not readily available in the UK at all and very pricey (need to buy in bulk from full sized aviation suppliers)

for any one interested, check out Sparkys Stunthanger channel on Youtube.  

Tye yanks certainly know how to finish models (light) 😀

Edited by MikeQ

22 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Mike,

What’s wrong with the HMG white primer I pointed out in post 2?

It’s not a high-built (filler) primer, it’s white, it’s not in an aerosol, and it’s cellulose.

It seems to meet with all of your requirements laid out in your original post.

Brian.

Hi

thanks, didn’t ignore it per se but its nearly £30 a litre and idea is to save money to a certain extent.  I didn’t explain that clearly in first post.  Its a good shout but too pricey considering the driver is to replace Halfords white spray.  But thanks anyway.

MauriceN PM’d a link which lead me to Google properly this time.  

This stuff works out much cheaper than the Halfords stuff.  Fair enough you still need to add thinners on top.

https://www.colourtone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=443

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/primer/halfords-primer-white-500ml-473124.html

I’m beginning to think I’m overthinking it really.  For each model once or twice a year its only a couple of tins of Halfords stuff anyway.  Given the cost of all the other nonsense like model, fuel, engine, radio or control line bits and bobs, covering, paint etc ... i might be fiddling whilst Rome burns here.

Edited by MikeQ

haha .... fair enough.

In my defence, i guess I did include ..

On 01/11/2023 at 14:29, MikeQ said:

In fact I’m really looking for a white nitro cellulose finishing primer, as opposed to high build.

thanks for all the feedback.

cheers

mike