Someone to supply a complete laser-cut kit in UK

Sam Longley

I am currently convalescencing, from a very recent broken femur, so all flying is out. I would , therefore, like to spend some time building a new sport plane for fun. Watching Youtube I have decided on the Avanti. -60 inch span & an OS 55 to power it good on windy days & a pattern type which is the sort of relaxed (!!!)  flying I like.

I have researched other models & I am happy that this is the one. I have also contacted my local hobby shop in Maldon who tell me that they have no kits in stock & cannot even supply a similar ARF model to replace my Claminoto. 

Problem is that Sarik, who do the plans & RCME build article, do not list the full lazer kit.

So can anyone please direct me to a company who can, not only cut the parts, but supply all the material & full sized printed plans. I am a novice at building (At least, I have not built anything for years, but have done an awful a lot of repairs) so need guidance on a material list. I cannot go to any local supplier (balsa cabin is only 14 miles) due to still stuck to a zimmer frame. I doubt that the wife would be much help either !!! ( I did not say that)

If I cannot get the parts lazer cut is there any supplier who would look at the plans & do a take off & supply the balsa for me. I have a decent bandsaw & can always buy an electric fretsaw.

Does anyone know if the early  RCME article would include a materials list?

I am based  in Essex

Advert

I am planning to start David Hurrell's 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane over the winter. I phoned SLEC and asked whether they could cut out the wing ribs and other difficult parts for me. I sent them the plan and after a few weeks, on payment of their fee they sent me a short kit.

If you contacted them I feel sure that they could provide the same service for you.

https://www.slecuk.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=16

10 minutes ago, Sam Longley said:

May I ask

When you say "few weeks" - how long was that? Being inapacitated, I want something to do now ,rather than when I have recovered

I can't remember now, I suppose it depends upon how busy they are at any one time. If you phone them on Monday on 01953 885279, I'm sure they'd give you an idea.

1 hour ago, Glenn Philbrick said:

Why not try something like the kit acro wot, would suit the 55 and while not a pattern ship will do most monouvers and fly in a wind.

Because in my post I specifically said  I want an Avanti.

Plus, I have had 3 Acrowats ( one purchased & 2 gifted) & do not like them

Edited by Sam Longley
spelling
  • Haha 1

SLEC do some complete kits and maybe their Fun Fly or Limbo Dancer might suit.

The Balsa Cabin do some kits and they are not too far from Tesco in Maldon.   

Bill Kits do some kits that have stood the test of time.

Phoenix Model Products do glider and electric kits.

All British I think and all have a good reputation for models that fly well.   I think they all do mail order.

Some of the Peter Miller designs for RCME have a material list on Modelflying - I did a couple of lists myself.    But it's not difficult to work it out for yourself.   

Consider the new electric & ic Chilli Breeze plan due in RCME next month and January.

33 minutes ago, kc said:

SLEC do some complete kits and maybe their Fun Fly or Limbo Dancer might suit.

The Balsa Cabin do some kits and they are not too far from Tesco in Maldon.   

Bill Kits do some kits that have stood the test of time.

Phoenix Model Products do glider and electric kits.

All British I think and all have a good reputation for models that fly well.   I think they all do mail order.

Some of the Peter Miller designs for RCME have a material list on Modelflying - I did a couple of lists myself.    But it's not difficult to work it out for yourself.   

Consider the new electric & ic Chilli Breeze plan due in RCME next month and January.

I have built a limo dancer & have a Cougar waiting to go. I know others who have had Balsa cabin kits & are far from satisfied

I also have an acrowat, A calaminoto, A 75 inch MX, a 60 inch Pitts special, a warco foamie, a foam flying wing, a jive & a Creschendo powered glider.  Plus, a couple of top wing trainers of unknown design for when I just want to chill. They are all in good order & ready to fly within a few minutes on the field.

I do not need anything more like these

They are  nothing like the Avanti- which is what i said i want,  as a good pattern plane, whilst I recover from my accident.

I do not want an ARF as I want something to do whilst I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for my hip to heal.

The only other one that I MIGHT consider is the KAOS 60 with the sheeted fuselage. Then I might make the wings in venered foam

1 hour ago, jeff2wings said:

Belairdigital.com  have what you are looking for 

Yes thanks. I have lookedate the site & willgive them & SLEC a call on monday. I am a bit surprised at cost (£150-00) without even supplying the plans from Belairdigital.

But I do know from my last Limbo Dancer that the material cost me more than an ARF kit. So it is what it is.

It means that the finished plane with covering could  be £300 (Just guessing though)  without electrics & engine

You can download the plans and print at home from outerzone.com and yes,it does sound expensive but the cost of balsa has risen dramatically in the last few years, most artf models have doubled  the past 5 years, I have just paid the same for a TN spitfire cnc pack/plan and I think sarik are quite expensive by comparison,  

58 minutes ago, jeff2wings said:

You can download the plans and print at home from outerzone.com and yes,it does sound expensive but the cost of balsa has risen dramatically in the last few years, most artf models have doubled  the past 5 years, I have just paid the same for a TN spitfire cnc pack/plan and I think sarik are quite expensive by comparison,  

I read somewhere that the blades of windfarm windmills have balsa cores. I found that odd, when one can lazer cut foam of all densities at speed,  then cover with the required carbon/GRP. But if true, then it goes a long way to explaining a shortage. Plus of course the usual "green" restrictions countries place on their home grown resources. As trees disappear

Careful Sam,you could be about to disappear down the rabbit hole with that topic,I would steer clear if I were you  lol!.

Now if I may offer up another suggestion, a Mick Reeves Gangster 63,not the lite one but the original with foam wings ,I  got an original kit from eBay but I think if you give him a call it might be available to special order?Worth a thought maybe?

The Belair price for the Avanti cut parts of £150 does include the plan, according to their website. The site also includes some photos of the cut parts that you get.

Usually laser cut part kits don’t include sheet or stick wood, such as might ne required for wing spars etc.

The original build article can also be downloaded direct from Belair’s site.

Note that this model was originally featured in RCM magazine, which was an American publication, not RCM&E.

Give SLEC / Belair a call, they are always very helpful. Then you will know exactly what is and what isn’t included with the parts.

Brian.

If you want to make cut parts for the Avanti yourself it's not difficult - just get a photo copy of the cut parts (ribs, formers etc ) cut the paper out a little oversize and stick onto wood with a few small bits of doublesided tape and cut right through paper into balsa or score into ply.  Some people use Prit Stik etc to glue onto wood but double side tape is cleaner just don't use too much as it's harder to remove.   It doesn't take that long and it's real aeromodelling!

You can use an A4 copier to copy just the relevant parts or get a copy shop to make an extra copy of the whole plan.

A constant chord wing like the Kaos or Super Kaos is even easier-  just make a 1/32 ply template. fix a small handle on it and also a couple of drawing pins slightly projecting to grip balsa.   Use it to cut out all the rib with a scalpel.   

Shaping ply formers is easy if you use a Permagrit sander - removes material much better than glasspaper.

These techniques work well for traditional aerobatic plans with mainly square formers etc.   Avoid modern CAD plans with all those intricate interlocking tabs!

I have just ordered a set of plans plus the RCME  article for the Avanti fromSarik hobbies. I think that I might source some blue foam & build a foam wing with partial covering.

Then I will compare the eight with a similar wing on another plane. I am not so sure that it is much heavier.

If I do decide to go down the standard build method I have a decent quality bandsaw & can easily cut a stack of ribs in one go. I

just change the blade for a 1/4 inch one with fine teeth.

But I have done some foam cutting with a couple of flying wings with some success before, so have a decent cutting rig.

I did make a new wing for my bullet after a mid air collision & made a jig with 2 rods to hold the ribs. This allowed me to get the incidence right & held the ribs nice for construction

Edited by Sam Longley

I am off to balsa cabin today to unload my wallet. Very soon it will all be coming together & as I have progressed from zimmer frame to crutches it should not be too long before I get into the man cave. Picking stuff up is awkward but All the materials are to hand to make a building jig for the fuselage & a board for the wing are in there ready.

I am going to make the wing in solid foam & part cover in balsa sheeting. Then I wanted to cover the wings in laminating film.

So I was musing about finishing & here is  a question. I nearly started a separate thread but am not sure where to put it.

If I cut the part sheeting to a patterned shape rather than just straight. Then painted it with deep colours. ie white & blue. Would the laminating film still adhere? would the paint colour show through. Obviously not bright but as a nice faded tint on the wings

Any opinion if it would work? It might hide my first attempt at spray painting & I could get away with brushing.