Hello from Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Just joined the forum 😃 although I’ve been flying RC since 1980. I have many happy childhood memories flying with my dad at the Weardale Model Gliding Association in County Durham, before I took a break to pursue my career, competitive sport and have a family.
Just retired, I now fly mostly scale gliders off the slope next to our home in the North Yorkshire Moors, with a little sneaky electric stuff thrown in there too. My real passion is designing and building, which I’m excited to get back into. 
Best wishes and thank you for having me. ☺️

• Like 5

I was only reminiscing yesterday, that back in the day™, at least in our cub (SSA) almost all models were own-designs.

There were a few plan builds, but it was unusual to see a kit build, and of course no artfs, foamies or composites. 

Maybe with no net, no PDFs, no computer to print PDFs, no outerzone and the cost of kits vs sheet balsa....

All very 'aeromodelling' oriented rather than 'R/C model flying'.   I dont really know what my point is 🙂 but Simons post coincided with my ponderings 🙂

Edited by Phil Green

2 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Jolly Roger

Now designing your own does make things a bit harder/more exciting! 😉

100%!  My wife says I’m never happier than when I’m making with my hands what I thought up in my head. 

Funnily enough I was just admiring your Depron Hunter in another thread.  Wow! Inspirational stuff 😇

1 hour ago, Phil Green said:

I was only reminiscing yesterday, that back in the day™, at least in our cub (SSA) almost all models were own-designs.

There were a few plan builds, but it was unusual to see a kit build, and of course no artfs, foamies or composites. 

Maybe with no net, no PDFs, no computer to print PDFs, no outerzone and the cost of kits vs sheet balsa....

All very 'aeromodelling' oriented rather than 'R/C model flying'.   I dont really know what my point is 🙂 but Simons post coincided with my ponderings 🙂

Yeah Phil, I’d never really thought of it like that…aeromodelling and RC flying are almost two distinct hobbies.

Over the years I taught A-level physics I came across a handful of kids that flew RC.  But none built models, not even from kits. They assembled ARTFs (or their dads did 😉).  I used to feel sad that the new generation weren’t picking up the building skills that we love and refine. But I guess the bigger point is that their interests simply lie elsewhere, just as I felt none of my dad’s passion for steam trains.  (Sorry dad). Each to their own.  
More than anything I’m glad I had the chance to explore the traditional aspects of model designing and building when I was a kid. This means I can get a nostalgic rush every time I pick up a sheet of balsa or catch a whiff of polyester resin.☺️

Edited by Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Note the Hunter was made from thicker 5mm laminate underlay foam rather than 3mm Depron. Similar principles used although it tends to end up with a bit 'cruder' surface shape. However with a 5mm thickness to play with you can allow more final sanding to get things smooth.

I agree entirely about the younger generation's lack of 'how can I modify this?' skills. I suppose with modern electronics there is virtually no possibility of physically changing anything so the challenge becomes "how do I use what it does?"

My grandkids play games on their "I" pads every minute they are allowed to but I do wonder how creative such skills are in the longer term.

A whiff of polyester resin? That's "modern" stuff! Its acetate dope really clears the sinuses.     

• Like 1

Your Hunter looks amazing.  I need to have a play with some 5mm foam sheet. 😉

As a tribute to dope, here's my Super Cub on finals at the Yorkshire Gliding Club.  

Given what I typed previously, I'm a little embarrassed it's an ARTF! 🤐

YGCCub5S.jpg

Edited by Jolly Roger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2