Warbirds Replicas FW190 - the 2023 version

Ron Gray

Rain stopped play today, so moved onto motor tests for the FW190, three motors (AXI 2826/12, AXI 2826/10 and Thumper  T4240/10 with multiple props to test, around 11x7" - 12"x8", including making up some adapters to allow mixing the 3.5mm and 4mm bullets which are fitted to the various motors. Tried three different battery packs too, some older G-Power 4s1p 4200mah, standard HRB 4s1p 3300mah and my newer Zee Power 4s1p 3300mah- the latter working out slightly better. If I find I need more weight to balance there is always the option of the  HRB 4s1p 4000mah packs, which are meant for my P-38 Lightning and so still have their horrible XT60 connectors.

Results were good, giving an informed choice between 500-600w in, with current draw at WOT between 34 and 45 amps, which I guess will rarely be needed and that equates to an estimated 130-150w/lb, if the model comes out around 4lbs AUW..

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Rain stopped play today, so moved onto motor tests for the FW190, three motors (AXI 2826/12, AXI 2826/10 and Thumper  T4240/10 with multiple props to test, around 11x7" - 12"x8", including making up some adapters to allow mixing the 3.5mm and 4mm bullets which are fitted to the various motors. Tried three different battery packs too, some older G-Power 4s1p 4200mah, standard HRB 4s1p 3300mah and my newer Zee Power 4s1p 3300mah- the latter working out slightly better. If I find I need more weight to balance there is always the option of the  HRB 4s1p 4000mah packs, which are meant for my P-38 Lightning and so still have their horrible XT60 connectors.

Results were good, giving an informed choice between 500-600w in, with current draw at WOT between 34 and 45 amps, which I guess will rarely be needed and that equates to an estimated 130-150w/lb, if the model comes out around 4lbs AUW..

For reference I’m getting six minutes of scale type flying from a 2200Mah 4s so you’ll have plenty of flight time on those batteries! (Motor is a generic 4250 size can 800kv and a 12x8 APC prop). 

• Like 2

Here's another one! Clubmate Steve had never built a model before so this is his first attempt, personally I think that he did fine job. He asked me to maiden it and after adding some nose weight (he was using a 2200 mAh 4s battery) it was ready to go.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Here's another one! Clubmate Steve had never built a model before so this is his first attempt, personally I think that he did fine job. He asked me to maiden it and after adding some nose weight (he was using a 2200 mAh 4s battery) it was ready to go.

Please accept cookies to access this content

Looks like another excellent flier. There’s a trend emerging here…

Aye - I know that the APC-Es are more efficient but that crazy blade shaping at the hub is a real pain in so many situations. Unfortunately I don't think I've got any other 12x8" in stock, so it'll have to be the washers - I've got some ply ones, with cut outs for those horrible APC blade roots.

Yes, I quite like those Graupner Super Nylon props, but I did find a 12x8" Master Airscrew Electric prop in my drawer and those are not too bad at all - the 13x8" that I use on my PT-19 works really well, nothing like a Master Airscrew IC prop.

Anyway, I can make the APC-E work with a couple of chunky washers and so I've now committed the motor mount to being glued in place, now drying overnight. Any further adjustment will need to be achieved with the use of washers.

• Like 1