Three FW190's

Chris Walby

On 04/03/2024 at 12:45, RICHARD WILLS said:

Good luck Eric , we need you leading the charge .

I will be starting the Tempest thread shortly .

getting close are we 😁   looking foreward to it 

need to get my arse in gear & get the 190 finished 

andy

Maiden and one other flight. Did not need the slight up trim on the elevator so removed that and my aileron rates were too high on the maiden. C of G is 78mm and that was fine (has 60g on the battery hatch so will see if I can lose that at some point). I don't think the 13x10 works very well so at some point will try a 13x8 or even a 13x6/7. Second flight was 5 min of mixed THR and some WOT and landed with 50% on a 4S4000 so well happy with that!

Better get on with finishing the painting and weathering.

PS dolly legs are too long, but other than that it works a treat so thanks to Eric

PPS thanks to everyone else for help, encouragement and filling the thread with a lot of old waffle! 

Possible John's maiden Sunday and need to chase James up now!

image.thumb.png.74d4368ac481b4cb377206a374a65bfa.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

Maiden and one other flight. Did not need the slight up trim on the elevator so removed that and my aileron rates were too high on the maiden. C of G is 78mm and that was fine (has 60g on the battery hatch so will see if I can lose that at some point). I don't think the 13x10 works very well so at some point will try a 13x8 or even a 13x6/7. Second flight was 5 min of mixed THR and some WOT and landed with 50% on a 4S4000 so well happy with that!

PS dolly legs are too long, but other than that it works a treat so thanks to Eric

PPS thanks to everyone else for help, encouragement and filling the thread with a lot of old waffle! 

Long legs are fine for the 190 Chris 

Screenshot_20240305-195024_Chrome.jpg

Eric, I have since bent the tail wheel up as for the maiden it sat up with a high angle of attack. Good news it leapt off the dolly, just with the 13x10 prop I think it might be better letting it build the speed up more gently. Although saying that the take off roll was a lot longer on the second flight. 

I'll compare the photo with my dolly stance, but I would expect the full size let the tail lift before easing the mains off.

Hi Chris,  mine stays on the dolly till I give it a touch of elevator. Flying alone I run it to the edge of the strip then take off that,way that way I'm clear for landing. Being the old man of the club, when others are there the recover the dolly for me and complain if I take it too far away.

5 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

That’s looking very sharp already. I’ll be interested to see the final scheme - lots of variety on the ones built, I think. 

8 minutes ago, Lipo Man said:

That’s looking very sharp already. I’ll be interested to see the final scheme - lots of variety on the ones built, I think. 

....its meant to be heading towards this, So I have a fair way to go.....unless apparently he had two aircraft and mine is the one that never appeared in any photos 🤣

image.thumb.png.bb79be828e814458fa6abd9a5630dabb.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

....its meant to be heading towards this, So I have a fair way to go.....unless apparently he had two aircraft and mine is the one that never appeared in any photos 🤣

That red area under the nose will be brilliant for orientation. 👍

Well I am doing Red 23's other aircraft...the one that there are no photos of!

And the fuselage is grey...don't know why the photo make it looks brown!

image.thumb.png.06fd8b45b40794bd9bbf8c3c05073a6e.png

I'll start watching Ron's videos and others weathering techniques so I am ready when I get to that point.

Rubbish weather today so I'll make a bit more progress later on.

John's FW190 and dolly are finished and James is somewhere in the covering and painting stage.

On 05/03/2024 at 21:45, Chris Walby said:

Funny you should say that Chris . 

Major Heinz Bar (thats Bare as there should be an accent on the A)  flew red 13 and red 23  . Red 13 had the 200 +oakleaves on the rudder and red 23 didnt seem to . 

There is also differing opinions on the chin colour . Osprey profiles show it as yellow on red 23 and 13 . 

Others suggest red as above . I like the red so that would be good enough for me . Lets face it , they are arguing over black and white pictures. 

Apparently Red 13 was his regular mount and Red 23 his spare (oh, the privilege of rank ) . Both aircraft had their outer cannon removed to improve handling . 

News update, 2 more flights off the dolly, and it seems to drop the left wing (my fault for rushing the lift off and gunning the throttle!) but aileron authority is great so easily corrected! Getting her dialled in and over the next few weeks will try a little lead reduction and perhaps a 14 inch prop (currently 13x10 so thought a 14x8 would be good).

Disaster with the attempt of camouflage so will have another go in the week. The red chin does really stand out in a really grey sky so happy with that on mine.

John is shifting the battery further forward and then sorting his C of G, then it will be ready for a maiden!

image.png.a47af9680e99877a672fb7879edabd03.png

image.thumb.png.a9fb6eb10f63c979c85cd3c39f14fbe2.png 

James is to too far behind

image.thumb.png.5d7c220d3f03d778711def6b8158d6f2.png

• Like 8

I fly mine with a 14 x 8.5 " prop Chris, (on a 620Kv motor) and I think it really contributes to the realism. It can stooge around at low rpm and pull off some lovely low passes. It sounds much better than the whine of high Kv motors, but has enough grunt to pull some gorgeous large dia loops

I realise that some of the chaps might be put off by the hand launch / Dolly Launch thing . 

However the whole idea with this one and the Tempest , is to remove the barriers of getting into balsa bashed scale models . 

The lack of weight this decision endows on the models also means they are extremely forgiving . 

Having said all that , I am aware that people may want to upgrade later so I have instigated (with Paul Johnson doing most of the work ) some laser cut retracts packs for the 190 and Tempest .  I cant really sort them out till the Tempest is kitted and out of the door but I wont leave you to sort it out .

They will be complete sets with wheels /retract units/ wheel doors and ply dummy ribs and mount plate assembly . All of the angles will be pre ordained . 

Like I say , I dont want to detract from the simplicity of the kits but equally I dont want to put people off them if they dont like launching and belly flopping . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its my own decision (fault) for picking a lower KV motor and as Dave B1 is using 14x8.5 I recon that will work with mine better than the pitchy 13x10. I can't really go less pitch on the 13 dia as it just won' produce enough thrust. If that does not work then I'll just put a higher KV motor in NP.

It didn't drop a wing on the first 2 flights so I still think is a case of me firewalling it and pulling it off before its ready or on Saturday the wind was gusty and turbulent across the runway so perhaps that.

Plus more of my own doing is the lack of finger holes for a self hand launch as I prefer the under arm technique, but didn't appreciate the diameter of the fuselage.

If all else fails I do have a RX with "safe/gyro" but having had a self-inflicted afternoon spent explaining to the CAA and BMFA that I had lost my model, I limit its application to the models that actually need them (hand launching my 2.7kg SU47 that has a tipping point between stall and climb out!)

The other thing to mention...it was no drama at all. it dropped its wing tip by a few inches and a spot of aileron had it back on the straight and level.

Personally I don't think I'll fit retracts to either, because it will just add weight that they don't need in flight. I have touched wood just in case, but I haven't broken that many props on belly landers and probably as many with nose overs anyway.

Its easy to fly and if I stop messing around it would probably launch itself without any drama!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

I still think is a case of me firewalling it and pulling it off before its ready

Most defo Chris and before there is any sniggering, at that phrase, at the back of the class I should explain that I had exactly the same thing with my earlier Mk1 Dolly launches as it just hadn't got up to flying speed. Now with Mk2 Dolly it is straight and level each time. another thing to check, where is your CG? Moving it back certainly helps with dolly take offs.

• Like 1

First field meeting of the Butcher Birds and with a discussion revolving around rates and C of G I think we can say we are getting quite close (apart from me and my colour scheme!. 

John i having a few issues with the spinner as it seems to change its seating position differently each time the prop is removed. 

image.thumb.png.8673b4cfad664f7fea88d4b4213d9474.png

Lets hope the bank holiday weather is going to be kind to us and we can get the remaining two in the air (dollies have all been finished), oh and I sort my paint work out!

• Like 6

Nice line up . I like all the different colours . 

I would mark the spinner once balanced so that it always goes on the back plate the same way round . 

Because of the opposed screws , it can only have two options . But if you swap the prop round by accident there are four options as the prop will also be contributing to being out of balance . 

Thats why (being lazy ) I just stick tape on the back of one blade so that I am balancing the prop and spinner in situ . 😉

Its great to see the little fellas out in the sunshine with their friends . Wots not to like ? (Sorry Chris , can't help myself sometimes )