cutting very small tube

Good afternoon, and a great new year to you all.

I have some very fine copper tubing (it's 1.5mm outside dia.) The problem is that I need to cut it into 10mm lengths (many many of them)

I have one of these dinky little tube cutters, but it's not capable of cutting such a small tube. I've tried rolling the tube under a knife, but it really doesn't work.

Any ideas? 

ernie

Take a sharp Stanley knife, put  the tube on the bench ,then put the blade on the tube at 90  degrees to the tube ,then roll the tube back and forward using the knife to power the roll .It takes practice to keep the blade on the right place 

• Like 1

Rolling under a SHARP knife blade does work!   Sharp blade with firm pressure cuts tube easily.   But closed loop 'Sealing Ferrules ' are available ready made from SLEC.

......trusting Ken's french may get you sent to the ladies haidresssers .....if my dictionary is correct.......

53 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Well Ken that's a fine idea, and there's a fishing shop just up the road. Now what's french for 'fishing line crimps?'

Bonjour M Tourtoulon

ernie

Premièrement je suis 'Noble' c'est de Tourtoulon.😇

manchon à sertir

https://www.joom.com/fr/products/5def04d028fc7101012f17e0

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Ps I also use a knife blade and roll the tube.

Hi Ernie, try using a jewelers saw they have a very fine blade that doesn't snag and doesn't crush the tube. Got mine from Amazon and it came with a packet full of spare blades.

Hope this helps, Paul 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2024 at 18:33, Robin Colbourne said:

Putting a piece of wire that is a good sliding fit inside the tube may help prevent any crushing.  If you use copper wire or an aluminium welding rod then it won't blunt the cutting tool.

This is the only way to avoid crushing. It's why plumbers use pipe cutters and not hacksaws.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2024 at 08:50, Ernie said:

Thanks all, just been to the" fishing shop, what a source of interesting wee bits. Highly recommended

ernie

When you were there you should have got yourself a cheap roach pole. Great for getting foamies out of trees😀

• Like 1