Warbirds Replicas FW190 2023 version - a VLOG of the build

Ron Gray

26 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Well the FW190 certainly seems to fly like she's on rails....

It is so well behaved, straight out of the box and no trimming. What I like best are the non scale Reno racer type pylon turns about 30’ off the deck! I’m going to take some nose weight out today as, whilst it flies really well as it is, all of the CG tests I’ve done indicate that it’s nose heavy. Removing some of that lead may also help with the dolly take offs.

Well I need to make a new dolly ASAP, up at the field at the moment, first flight this morning the FW fell out of the dolly breaking the prop on the tarmac. But much worse is that the ply engine former has cracked and there isn’t a lot of room to replace it so I may have to use some carbon tow and resin to repair it. Bearing in mind that it wasn’t a heavy ‘crash’ maybe a thicker former for new builds?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The dolly on the right was used on a FW 190d. The 2 wires, about 1/14 inch long, just plugged into 2 tubes , very loosely, in the bottom of the fuselage. The tail rested on the ground.

The other dolly was used on Curtis Hawk. The rear of the dolly hooked over the trailing edge. The “ hooks” are from flexible foam about 1/4” thick.The tail of the model is on the ground & could be steered with the rudder.

I think that next time I might extend the dolly  fit a tail wheel.

Ron, what size motor do you recommend & have you an ideal position for the cg?

Thanks for the excellent videos.  

sorry about the inverted photos.IMG_0229.thumb.jpeg.e51aebef0a3f97f0dabf03a83b532111.jpegIMG_0228.thumb.jpeg.661ef3e38e9e59bffd68f42750648ff9.jpeg6

Thanks for the pictures and explanation John, and also your kind words!

Regarding the motor, mine is an Overlander 3548 900Kv and has more than enough power. The CG is 70mm back from F2 (LE) and I would suggest going with that for your first flights. I had to add about 270g of lead to get to that CG but will be removing 2/3rds of it for the next flight (once I have fixed the broken engine former / plate) to see how it performs with a more reward CG, at the moment whilst it is very planted and vice free, when inverted I'm having to input too much down elevator plus it's very difficult to get it to spin without forcing it into one (why do I want to spin anyway????!!!)

So all assembled

IMG_8523.thumb.jpeg.fe14b13b6bedc46b2b43296bafc92f71.jpeg

IMG_8524.thumb.jpeg.cca3a7ffd49ec518b8f7cbf2c8d37280.jpeg

But I decided to modify it to have a nose support 

IMG_8525.thumb.jpeg.44fdcc03ed549b42711b39d90c3900cc.jpeg

And this is the final dolly frame ready to try out on Sunday.

IMG_8526.thumb.jpeg.730bfb7a8b267ff28f97dd090ec1f10d.jpeg

All of the foam supports are removable and the brackets movable so it could be used for smaller models too.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

My one is green canvas and has wing mirrors plus a horn for when shopping at Lidl. However mine hasn't got the fancy whitewall tyres hence why I bought the last pair of plain black ones from Amazon. TBH I had already nicked the wheels off the cart hence why I had to buy replacements before I went out shopping again.

Anyway I think I'm due an upgrade soon so have been mulling over this baby

image.thumb.png.138d03241a861bcbb13bafbc22d3faf4.png

I am rather taken with the front castor (or is that now frowned upon because they may leave a brown sticky mess?) wheels as they may help when negotiating the tight bends in the vegetable aisle and will allow a tight turn in at the cashier desks (when one becomes vacant I can get in there before the other old gits).

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Just got back from the field and from trying out Dolly 2:

Have you checked where your CG is now that you’ve lost some nose ballast? Just working out how much nose weight I need to add to mine, and hoping to minimise it as much as possible!