OS Max 35 control line

Frank Skilbeck

Yes

Someone on Barton Control Line site would quite possibly snap your hand off depending on condition.

Failing that, I have a Mercury Cobra it would fit in nicely 😀

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

Bin it !!!!!! ?

No.......!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Barton site, or give it to mikeq......

The box says RC ?

If not, ( strangled exhaust ? ) The inlet casting looks as if it could be Rc'd relatively easily ?

Don't bin it, giving it to someone ( even for a fiver ) who would use it, makes much better sense, to me at any rate.

Hi Frank

a lot of these old motors look like junk compared to modern motors but one mans meat is another mans poison and all that.

There were and are a lot of CL kits/designs aimed specifically at the OS35 and similar motors.  Max power isn’t necessarily whats wanted for these models.  Tractability and predictable behaviour are more important.

in good condition it will be a very useful motor to the right people.  Control Line is still on the go ... although only practiced by masters of dark arts.  A bit like Freeflight (and no, I don’t mean the FF nonsense after hours at the RC nats🤣)

its definitely not one for the bin.  Put it on ebay or Barton Control Line site for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125953046581

Edited by MikeQ

32 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Rich, must have been put in the wrong box, it's a cast in venturi inlet.

Mike, it's un-run and turns over smoothly, I'll post a couple more photos.

I have one that came to me in NiB condition and the box is marked RC. Could it be that the box for RC/CL was common? 

Also, is there a ripmax sticker, price on box, and any indication as to year ?

When was the more or less transition year from loop scavenge deflector piston type to shnerle porting type for model 2t glow engines, late 70's...?

Cox engines were made in their millions way before the 70's.....did they know something os did not ?

Or is a Cox bb 049 a baffleless loop scavenge type engine ?

I will ask on cef...

Model diesel ( ci ) engines had already gone down the shnerle route many years before, possibly from the very beginning, apart from fixed compression types ???

Shnerle porting had been about for some time in the non model engine world at that time...the late 70's......

Edited by Rich Griff

That looks like the OS Max-III 35 from 1960.  The odd thing is that the photographed engine in this test report doesn't have the slight bellmouth on the venturi casting that Frank's engine has, althoug hthe drawing shows it.

Generally non-RC glow motors of this size are of more interest to collectors (and vintage control line fliers than the equivalent R/C (throttled) versions.  

February 1958 Model Aircraft Test Report - OS Max-II 35

Frank's box looks newer than the engine to me.

Edited by Robin Colbourne