Digital vs Analogue servos

Basil

Digital and analogue servos can be interchanged. For most applications an analogue servo will be all you'll need unless you want to fly zippy models. Digital servos are generally faster and have greater holding power - this can be good and bad, if you stall a digital servo it will draw a very high current trying to reach its commanded position and may well burn out.

A programmable servo will be digital, programmable can be useful in some applications if you want servo reversing, end point adjustment, servo slow etc and for whatever reason can't achieve it in the transmitter.

For most scale models, gliders and sports models, an analogue servo will perform just fine.  

Hi Bas,

My understanding is that standard servos are analogue. Digital servos can be used in " standard " set ups as you say ... but come into their own if using telemetry etc. ..... my usual qualification applies ..... I'm relatively inexperienc3d myself so wait for the more technically correct answer by others.

I believe that they can be a little more accurate, programmable and quicker but not ,aybe as much as to be appreciated by novice fliers.

I started off buying digital servos for allmy models but have also used analogue servos ( Hitec ) in my Domino trainer. Some of the older hands at one of my clubs told me I was wasting money on digital servos for the type of model and level of flying that I was doing ....... I'm sure more qualified answers will follow.

Cheers

Toto

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Whats the difference

To the average sport flyer, next to no detectable difference, I would say.

That said. In like for like cases, a digital version of an standard analogue servo will more accurately hold its position when force is applied and (usually) has higher torque - but you pay for this in terms of extra power being consumed by the servo.

If you already have some, just use them.

Fancy servos that can be individually reversed or have their speed adjusted or whatever, are always digital. And expensive.

42 minutes ago, toto said:

but come into their own if using telemetry etc

Why are they better if you use telemetry?

Or indeed how do they affect telemetry?

I find this often had discussion confusing. A servos a link in the chain, as is the gap between hinge lines, slop free linkages, building light/straight, having a reliable engine that throttles well, it's part of the package. If you stall an anologue servo it's bad news, extra current used is easily managed, they're Red Herrings, old wives tales. Can I tell if I upgrade a link in the chain ? Of course I can, and I very much think most of you could. Do you need them ? Entirely up to you to decide that one. Negatives ? They cost more.

Some cost about the same. Savox standards spring to mind.

Difference is, max current draw is higher, accuracy under load is better, can you tell? A small bet you couldn't, in a "proper" scientific test, double blind, etc etc.  Humans are pretty good at convincing ourselves we've made excellent choices . "Digital' can be used as a pretty good sales pitch. Much better than "those old analogue things". Etc.

Thanks for clarifying that Philip.

I just read for myself that the digital signal used is between the servo and receiver only ..... not the transmitter ..... sorry for the red herring Bas.

Toto

On a 2.4 system or 35mhz PCM system the servo positions are sent to receiver as a digital stream. The receiver decodes this and each channel then outputs a pulse width signal, the servo position being determined by the length of the pulse, typically 900 to 2100 micro seconds. This is updated ever 22 millisecond for analogue servos and can be more frequently for digital servos, ever 10 milliseconds. If you select the higher rate on analogue servos it can cause them to overheat with potential burnout. Note SBUS servos if fed direct from the SBUS port receiver a digital stream and you have to program the channel into the servo.

BTW if you use a gyro or flight controller then beware they may update the servos at a faster rate which could cause analogue servos to burn out.

Thank you gentlemen for your feedback. I do not use Digital types, just plain old analogue for the sort of model I build . I raised the subject  mainly to find out the differences for future reference.

I dont see the sense in buying a much more expensive product just for the fun of it. Horses for courses !!!!

Many thanks Bas

• Like 1

14 hours ago, toto said:

I was under the impression that digital servos can feedback info to the transmitter via telemetry. 

Well... I guess probably the more complete / correct picture is - "it depends."

(apologies for slightly 'devil's advocate' question earlier BTW)

Standard size digital sport servos like Bas is talking about, I'll wager not, they'll be on a standard RX/servo PWM interface. "Digitals" in this context have no extra smarts over and above analogue servos, only the position feedback/control method is digital.

Fancier expensive (and certainly digital) servos can provide health status via a digital bus. Not - AFAIK - widely implemented (yet), probably manufacturer specific (e.g. Futaba SBUS... Futaba servos, Futaba RX, Futaba TX), certainly top drawer product line features (after all, why would any manufacturer put this latest stuff on their basic product lines).

What use is that telemetry? Temperature, position, current draw, probably you can determine and set limits and alarms. Proving out the kit install chain during first flights, health warning limits for future flights. Large models? Yes. Very fast stuff? Yes. Operating at public demos? Sure, why not. But. Investment in time setting it up, and you probably need to know how to interpret the data. Maybe the servos know enough to do sensible default warnings, I couldn't say.

Sport flyer, club size model? I'm not seeing it yet myself. It's another thing to set up and monitor. Sometimes there is a place for that stuff, sometimes you want quick and simple. Those of us grabbing a 3S foamie from the boot? Probably not...

4 minutes ago, Basil said:

Thank you gentlemen for your feedback. I do not use Digital types, just plain old analogue for the sort of model I build . I raised the subject  mainly to find out the differences for future reference.

I dont see the sense in buying a much more expensive product just for the fun of it. Horses for courses !!!!

Many thanks Bas

For reference, the "standard" Savox servo is a digital:

https://servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=SAVSG0351PLUS&area=Servo

and not particularly expensive.

Futaba standard servo now also digital:

https://servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=FUT051026711&area=Servo

End of day, if you want a standard servo, buy a standard servo, don't worry about the buzzword.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 2

Isn't there some consideration of frame rate on Spekky radios that means you can't mix and match......? I could well be misremembering; and if not, it could well apply to other brands.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

You can certainly mix and match analogue & digital servos. But if you do so you cannot take advantage of the digital servos ability to accept a higher frame rate, the whole system must operate to the lowest common denominator otherwise you may burn out the analogue servos.

That means in practice for mixed digital/analogue servos the frame rate must be left at the default 22ms for Spektrum (or 17ms for Jeti, those are the 2 brands I am familiar with) rather than a faster rate being selected under the 'Frame rate' options in the menu.