Hello Everyone

Craig here.  62 semi retired.  I live in Stockport area South Manchester.  Completely bored with mundane TV programs I decided I wanted to do something more with my "down time" So I purchased a 1/35 scale plastic model WW2 vehicle kit and began my journey of building painting and generally being creative.  After completing my first attempt and even doing a diaorama I was quite pleased with the result.  What to do next I thought and as I have always had an interest in Aviation in particular WW1 and WW2 aircraft I thought I would build one of these next.  However on my perusing of the WWW and various on line retailers web sites my fancy started to become tickled by the thought of actually flying something I built myself.  So in my usual compulsive way I bought a kit thinking I'd learn to fly it afterwards.  Yes Yes I know I already know now that I have gone about this in completely the wrong way but the deed is done and so contrary to all advice I will proceed with my build and then maybe buy a little RTF trainer aircraft of some sort and join a local (ish) club to continue my journey.  According to google I think that Sale Model Flying Club might be the nearest to me.

I opted for the Belair Kits Nieuport 11 24" wingspan model as I think Bi-Planes are a thing of beauty and I have been busy buying tools adhesives and stuff.  All very exciting.  I'm not much of a blogger or vlogger but I might post some photos of the various stages of the build etc.  I am thouroughly enjoying reading the various posts in the forum and I am grateful for the resources and the time people take to offer advice and tips.  thanks for listening.

Craig (my forum name is due to my love of riding motorcycles by the way)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GravelRash said:

Craig here.  62 semi retired.  I live in Stockport area South Manchester.  Completely bored with mundane TV programs I decided I wanted to do something more with my "down time" So I purchased a 1/35 scale plastic model WW2 vehicle kit and began my journey of building painting and generally being creative.  After completing my first attempt and even doing a diaorama I was quite pleased with the result.  What to do next I thought and as I have always had an interest in Aviation in particular WW1 and WW2 aircraft I thought I would build one of these next.  However on my perusing of the WWW and various on line retailers web sites my fancy started to become tickled by the thought of actually flying something I built myself.  So in my usual compulsive way I bought a kit thinking I'd learn to fly it afterwards.  Yes Yes I know I already know now that I have gone about this in completely the wrong way but the deed is done and so contrary to all advice I will proceed with my build and then maybe buy a little RTF trainer aircraft of some sort and join a local (ish) club to continue my journey.  According to google I think that Sale Model Flying Club might be the nearest to me.

I opted for the Belair Kits Nieuport 11 24" wingspan model as I think Bi-Planes are a thing of beauty and I have been busy buying tools adhesives and stuff.  All very exciting.  I'm not much of a blogger or vlogger but I might post some photos of the various stages of the build etc.  I am thouroughly enjoying reading the various posts in the forum and I am grateful for the resources and the time people take to offer advice and tips.  thanks for listening.

Craig (my forum name is due to my love of riding motorcycles by the way)

Sent you a PM

Welcome to the forum Craig. I'm glad you're going to join a club because you'll probably meet many like minded souls who'll help you in your aeromodelling career. I'm pleased that you've chosen to build a model stick by stick because that's what I enjoy doing. However, if you'll take a bit of unsolicitated advice from me, please learn to fly before you try to fly the Nieuport. Flying an r/c model is not as easy as it looks and I'd hate you to crash the model after you will have put so much time and effort into the build. Even the real Nieuport pilots didn't learn to fly on Nieuports did they? Leave it till your third or fourth model.

The Sale club may well have a trainer which you can learn on while your transmitter is connected to an instructor's transmitter. It saves a lot of heart ache!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Davis said:

PS. I sold my last bike last year. At seventy-six my knees are no longer up to managing a big bike especially with luggage and a pillion on the back. Mind you, one of those little SV 650s look interesting..

I feel your pain David.  I have scaled down considerably now to one of those little Royal enfield Classic 350's and I only go out on lovely sunny days!

• Like 1

Motorcycling and Aeromodelling share quite a lot in common IMHO and experience. Been into both continuously since my mid teens ( started with Yamaha 'Fizzy' and Graupner glider back in '73).

Entrenched views about makes and 'how to do it' - those that ride or fly in the very worst weather and like to wear their discomfort as some odd badge of honour. Synthetic or Castor based fuels in our model engines and the opinions surrounding E10 and E5 petrols for our bikes etc etc I think you get my drift.

HOWEVER.........both activities have some of the nicest people you'll find anywhere (always the odd misery here and there), eager to help a fellow flyer or rider in bother and eager to chew the fat.

Welcome to the hobby Gravel, I think you'll enjoy it.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Craig

Glad you are considering a more normal route to learn to fly RC.

There is of course nothing stopping you building your Nieuport 11. Biplanes can be fun to build and look wonderful when finished but they are pretty delicate structures.

It may seem odd but for flying "small" is more difficult than "large" and 24" (its actually 25") span is by no means big. The reason is simply that small planes react faster to everything and the one thing any human learning to fly needs is time to convert what they see a plane doing in the air into the correct and timely reactions on the controls. The slower things happen the easier it is to learn the eye/hand coordination.

When you join a club you may be surprised at how big and heavy the club trainer plane is. It will likely have buddy controls as well meaning the instructor will have a set of 'master' controls both to be able to demonstrate what is required and to prevent you damaging the plane or anything else.

After all two seat dual control is the only way you learn to fly a full size plane.

Do post some pictures on this site as you build. Don't worry about any lack of skill or understanding. We have all been there.

Pictures greatly help others to give useful advice and even if you don't actually need help the pictures of what you achieve can give encouragement to others thinking of starting out.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Craig

Glad you are considering a more normal route to learn to fly RC.

There is of course nothing stopping you building your Nieuport 11. Biplanes can be fun to build and look wonderful when finished but they are pretty delicate structures.

It may seem odd but for flying "small" is more difficult than "large" and 24" (its actually 25") span is by no means big. The reason is simply that small planes react faster to everything and the one thing any human learning to fly needs is time to convert what they see a plane doing in the air into the correct and timely reactions on the controls. The slower things happen the easier it is to learn the eye/hand coordination.

When you join a club you may be surprised at how big and heavy the club trainer plane is. It will likely have buddy controls as well meaning the instructor will have a set of 'master' controls both to be able to demonstrate what is required and to prevent you damaging the plane or anything else.

After all two seat dual control is the only way you learn to fly a full size plane.

Do post some pictures on this site as you build. Don't worry about any lack of skill or understanding. We have all been there.

Pictures greatly help others to give useful advice and even if you don't actually need help the pictures of what you achieve can give encouragement to others thinking of starting out.  

Bigger definitely better, easier to see and doesn't get blown around as much.

• Like 3

Great stuff Craig, There is an enormous amount of building experience here. Advice will be willingly given, but be careful, its very addictive.

Have you got the tools that you need? 

ernie